Car wrap, more importantly has any removed one?

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Has anyone here wrapped a car then had it removed or purchased a car wrapped and then removed it, if so did the wrap remove easily and though doubtful any issues with paint been removed?

Man of Honour
Hi there

Has anyone here wrapped a car then had it removed or purchased a car wrapped and then removed it, if so did the wrap remove easily and though doubtful any issues with paint been removed?

Pink Christmas Jag? You know you want to!

Wont lie that actually looks pretty good.

Soldato
A couple months ago I got a grey GT86, when I went to view it, the dealership was in the process of removing an orange wrap. The back end was still covered.

The roof had a lot of residue on it, so I didn't commit to buying until this was thoroughly cleaned off and polished.

OcUK Staff
OP
A couple months ago I got a grey GT86, when I went to view it, the dealership was in the process of removing an orange wrap. The back end was still covered.

The roof had a lot of residue on it, so I didn't commit to buying until this was thoroughly cleaned off and polished.

So did you buy said GT86, if so after clean and polish the paint was fine?

Man of Honour
Wont lie that actually looks pretty good.

Been done as pranks to 2-3 YouTubers - from what I can see they didn't have any issues really when it was removed atleast nothing a quick clean and polish didn't sort (but I haven't exactly inspected their cars or anything hah).

Man of Honour
i suspect (of course take it with a pinch of salt as i have no direct experience)...it should be a wee bit like sellotape.
if the wrap has been on for a short time, there shouldn't be too many issues with adhesive residue on the car...
...but if the wrap has been on for years, i suspect the adhesive would be bonded to the clear coat of the paint job and be a pain to remove short of wet sanding/polishing (just like how sellotape would leave all that **** behind once left on for a while)

Sgarrista
Commissario

Seen the results on many GTRs (shock horror).

Its all down to the paint prep and the person applying the wrap. The paint has to be flawlessly clean, and most definitely no cutting against the paintwork.

Soldato
Just apply heat, if you do that it comes off easily. Hairdryer will work but a heatgun is better. I used a heatgun used for shrinking model aircraft wing coatings to dewrap a carbon bonnet, came off no problem at all.

Soldato
Depends on the installer Gibbo. Good installers will use knifeless tape, and not cut directly on the paint. I’ve seen significant paint damage with wraps done by certain “reputable” installers.

Caporegime
Plenty of ex Stobart trucks running around after being dewrapped (White cab, red bumpers) although truck paint is probably a lot tougher than car paint and truckers don’t care about little scratches. :D

Soldato
I'd say depends massively on who has installed.

wrapping a car is one thing, wrapping it properly is another.. cut lines can be hidden with a wrap on but get exposed when the wrap is off.

another thing is wrap quality, decent quality wrap costs good money but also leaves no residue, is easier to apply etc so you gotta do your research.

if you go with anyone that has great rep like dubcustoms, yannimize(has a big youtube channel) etc then you should be fine but you'll pay extra for the service/reputation

OcUK Staff
OP
I'd say depends massively on who has installed.

wrapping a car is one thing, wrapping it properly is another.. cut lines can be hidden with a wrap on but get exposed when the wrap is off.

another thing is wrap quality, decent quality wrap costs good money but also leaves no residue, is easier to apply etc so you gotta do your research.

if you go with anyone that has great rep like dubcustoms, yannimize(has a big youtube channel) etc then you should be fine but you'll pay extra for the service/reputation

I’d only use 3M wrap simply due to guaranteed quality.

Install has a solid reputation, a one man business who takes only one car at a time and I’ve used him before am just having a few ideas and I shall confirm with him some of the points in this thread. :)

Soldato
Paul at PWPro is the only guy I’d use. Wrapped my GTR twice, once when I had it and again after I sold it. Never any issues with the quality of it or the paint after the wraps were taken off.

I even had the front bumper double wrapped to help minimise stone chips showing the original colour underneath and the whole car was ceramic coated.

Back
Top Bottom