Car Youtubers and dangerous driving

Associate
I enjoy watch these YouTube channels and seeing the cars people have built. However the driving seems getting more and more dangerous, as people want to impress the audience. Channels like LiveLifeFast and Officially Gassed, I'm sure there are others but they seem to be the most popular.

They say they're on private roads or in another country and blur landmarks and instruments. But they are clearly very often clearly going flat out or even drifting in 500+hp cars, on public roads in the uk.

Is there anything the police can do? I know there has been a few instances where these guys have been in accidents, and I'm aware of one guy that got prosecuted (R8 on snake pass I think it was)

I love seeing the cars but dread to think whats going to happen to these guys, and possibly members of the public when it all goes wrong. It horrify's me to think what would happen if someone was running or cycling or on a horse, broken down etc in that spot after that bend!

Soldato
I've seen a few of these videos, I actually quite enjoyed some of the Officially Gassed ones but once you've seen a few they become very samey.

The driving is pretty shocking in a lot of them but massive power is so easily obtainable these days that your average gonk can go and rent a Golf R and with minimal mods end up with something that a few years back was supercar levels of performance.

I'm sure they all think they are driving gods, maybe they are good behind the wheel, but on the public roads you can't account for the the sometimes erratic actions of others and with 500 BHP+ being deployed with the only consideration being the number of likes and subscribes you can't help but think that one day there will be a nasty accident.

Soldato
I don't tend to watch many channels of that ilk nowadays but have in the past, Monkey London was one who would seem to really hoon around.

I've not got much time for people driving like that on public roads, i doubt many of them are amazing drivers as non of them seem to be proper racing drivers or anything and its all so easy to think you're amazing and have everything under control, until you don't.

Plus we know first hand from on here you can rent out places like Curborough for not a huge amount of dosh for the day where you can do way more with the car in a safe environment.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've seen a few of these videos, I actually quite enjoyed some of the Officially Gassed ones but once you've seen a few they become very samey.

The driving is pretty shocking in a lot of them but massive power is so easily obtainable these days that your average gonk can go and rent a Golf R and with minimal mods end up with something that a few years back was supercar levels of performance.

I'm sure they all think they are driving gods, maybe they are good behind the wheel, but on the public roads you can't account for the the sometimes erratic actions of others and with 500 BHP+ being deployed with the only consideration being the number of likes and subscribes you can't help but think that one day there will be a nasty accident.

Even some F1 drivers ended up in accidents from driving like maniacs. You just cant do it on the road. There is no room to correct the car if it goes wrong.

Soldato
Monkey London was one who would seem to really hoon around.

Compared to some, Monkey is quite tame and at least he's pretty handy behind the wheel. I've been recently watching some videos from a guy called DMO Deejay who is an absolute danger and completely ham fisted. Lee Lockwood is fairly local to me and he's just taken up drifting, which of course he does on the public road. I'm no angel at times but it seems these guys are lacking some real brain cells to record themselves doing stuff like this.

Lee Lockwood happily talks about being insured by Greenlight in his videos, I can't imagine they're very happy being linked to this type of driving.

Tbh, social media and YouTube are wearing very thin, very quickly. I've already shut down my Facebook account and I'm close to giving YouTube a wide berth too.

Associate
Compared to some, Monkey is quite tame and at least he's pretty handy behind the wheel. I've been recently watching some videos from a guy called DMO Deejay who is an absolute danger and completely ham fisted. Lee Lockwood is fairly local to me and he's just taken up drifting, which of course he does on the public road. I'm no angel at times but it seems these guys are lacking some real brain cells to record themselves doing stuff like this.

His VTEC gear shifts are an absolute meme. Ridiculous :D

Soldato

Lee Lockwood happily talks about being insured by Greenlight in his videos, I can't imagine they're very happy being linked to this type of driving.

Tbh, social media and YouTube are wearing very thin, very quickly. I've already shut down my Facebook account and I'm close to giving YouTube a wide berth too.

Monkey London also doesnt do it with traffic around or in towns/villages at least.

Anyway:

Lol

Associate
I enjoy watch these YouTube channels and seeing the cars people have built. However the driving seems getting more and more dangerous, as people want to impress the audience. Channels like LiveLifeFast and Officially Gassed, I'm sure there are others but they seem to be the most popular.

They say they're on private roads or in another country and blur landmarks and instruments. But they are clearly very often clearly going flat out or even drifting in 500+hp cars, on public roads in the uk.

Is there anything the police can do? I know there has been a few instances where these guys have been in accidents, and I'm aware of one guy that got prosecuted (R8 on snake pass I think it was)

I love seeing the cars but dread to think whats going to happen to these guys, and possibly members of the public when it all goes wrong. It horrify's me to think what would happen if someone was running or cycling or on a horse, broken down etc in that spot after that bend!

Hi OP,

Do you actually have any evidence that these youtuber's are on public roads? Landmarks can be recreated on private roads very easily. I am not sure what you are trying to say in your post exactly, but it is clear you are jealous of these young men and their nice cars.

Man of Honour
Hi OP,

Do you actually have any evidence that these youtuber's are on public roads? Landmarks can be recreated on private roads very easily. I am not sure what you are trying to say in your post exactly, but it is clear you are jealous of these young men and their nice cars.

Quite a few OG videos, etc. have traffic in them and are on identifiable roads. I'm surprised they've not had attention from the police by now even though for the most part it isn't too dangerous. (I've only watched the odd video but generally it is just quick bursts of speed in clear circumstances though still a bit too in proximity of other traffic for my liking).

The problem is no matter how good a driver you are there are limits you can account for unpredictable events and/or other driver stupidity such as suddenly pulling out in front of you after they've come to a stop at a junction, etc.

Associate
OP
Hi OP,

No I don't have any evidence, but it's quite obvious. I drive a 320bhp mk5 Golf, which is fun and does everything I need, I own it 100%, and I enjoy it. Could I spend 40k buying and modifying a Golf R, yes if I wanted, but I don't? so no I'm not jealous.

These people clearly love their cars and they are impressive machines, so fair play to them for having a passion and wanting to show it off, just don't do it in a way that's putting other people at risk.

This one must have been filmed last spring or summer as they're not 2 meters apart :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ2UEK_c6V4

Last edited:
Soldato
The worst one IMO on LLF was an M5 been absolutely floored over 120mph easily in the rain. Also sometimes the driver doesn’t wear a seatbelt either, just as well I guess

sometimes there are genuinely great cars and people, not all the videos are about going fast.

but yeah the OTT stuff needs to be reserved for track.

YouTube are too busy taking down 5G corona videos

Soldato
There's a DMO video where they end up losing it and going sideways into the hedgerow writing the Audi off.

That one?

I'd not seen that before. You'd think it would have knocked some sense into the guy, but then you see him at the end leaving the scene with his footage, and leaving the owner to deal with the recovery/police etc.

What a bell.

Soldato
DMO tends to blur road/navigation signs out in his videos these days. Most (if not all) YouTubers tend to not capture the speedometer in fear of being prosecuted.

The riskiest car content I've seen posted up is on here: https://www.instagram.com/gap4days

Be prepared to have your blood boil. Lots of clips from different countries but there's a lot of UK based clips there too of people 'gapping' (undertaking/overtaking/speeding on the motorway/dual carriage ways to squeeze into gaps between other cars).

EDIT: You will need an Instagram account in case you want to watch any of the videos linked. Apologies for those who don't have one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom