Carabao Cup - Fourth Round ** Spoilers ** [29/30 October 2019]

Don
Chelsea in the FA Cup - EVERY year. They'll draw someone garbage at home for the first 3 rounds, then get Millwall in the quarters, Sunderland in the semis and someone like Bournemouth in the final.
I thought about Chelsea but City's luck has been even better. In every competition they've had pretty much the easiest draws possible for a few years now..

I think there's a real possibility that you could get a bye into the semi's. If Klopp sticks to his word about not playing during our week off there's very little room to fit the 1/4 final in, especially with the potential for FA Cup replays, which is quite likely considering the side we'll probably put out in the FA Cup too.

Caporegime
I thought about Chelsea but City's luck has been even better. In every competition they've had pretty much the easiest draws possible for a few years now..

I think there's a real possibility that you could get a bye into the semi's. If Klopp sticks to his word about not playing during our week off there's very little room to fit the 1/4 final in, especially with the potential for FA Cup replays, which is quite likely considering the side we'll probably put out in the FA Cup too.

Citys draws have been so good you always think corruption was involved. We had Arsenal, Chelsea and an in form Wolves in the FA cup last year. City had Newport, Swansea and then Brighton. Ended up against Watford in the final.

Don
This season's top 4 all going to make the quarter finals?

I guess you mean semi's. I think it's a bit optimistic for Colchester to reach top 4, they're currently 9th. And on a more serious note, I wouldn't bet on Liverpool vs Villa. At best the game will be shoe horned into the middle of a hugely busy period for us and we'll end up fielding an even weaker side than we did yesterday.

Don
The quarter final date has been confirmed as the 17th, 24 hours before we play our World Club Cup game. Klopp was asked about this last week and said he wouldn't be leaving behind any senior players when we went to Qatar so I guess this means the under 16s will play Villa.

Soldato
Good call, they should just pull out of the competition like Utd did with the FA cup all those years ago (or pull out of the World Club cup as it's just as much a joke competition as the Carabao cup)

Don
Far more money and prestige, from a sponsor point of view, in winning the World Club Cup plus we're going to use it as a mini holiday for the first team. Klopp said he won't be leaving any senior players behind, presumably because he intends to play 2 different sides in the 2 games and the rest of the time we'll have our feet up by the pool.

Edit: don't think Klopp fancies a 2 leg semi in January, when we've just come off the back of a busy Xmas period and have to find a date to play the League game that we will miss from being in Qatar too.

Last edited:
Don
Prize money for winning the League Cup is £100k (£50k for runners-up), prize money for winning the World Club Cup is £4m (£3.2m for runners-up). The World Club Cup would also be far more prestigious to sponsors and you're not having to play nearly as many games in a busy part of the season.

Soldato
Man Utd did the same so there must obviously be something in it commercially. The league cup means nothing like it used to.

Man United were specifically asked to do it by the FA because they thought it would strengthen their bid to host an upcoming competition (as I remember). But as Baz says, while we don't pay much attention to it in this country, globally it's much more noticed.

Back
Top Bottom