Carabao Cup - Semi Final ** Spoilers ** [7/8/28/29 January 2020]

fez

fez

Caporegime
De Bruyne looking like he managed to brain himself there beautifully.

The Klopp comments are funny though, you could see from the very 1st game Klopp had a way of playing and had a definitive plan and despite a few little blips there was clear progress being made on all fronts of the team.

Ole has not shown 1 ounce of improvement over his time, the only thing I think he has any credit for is getting rid of some of the dross Utd accumulated over the years.

Exactly. All the top managers coach their team and improve them even when Liverpool were really erratic they we brilliant when they were blowing hot.

Soldato
These Klopp comments are getting a little silly now. In his first half season he reached two Cup finals, in his first full season (with a negative net spend) he got us back in the CL, in his 2nd full season we reached a CL final, in his 3rd full season we won the CL and picked up 97 points and now, a little over 4 years in the job, we're breaking all sorts of records and well placed to win the League. In Ole's first half season you achieved nothing and got progressively worse and now in his first full season you look no better, having spent around the same as Klopp spent in his entire time at Liverpool.
God this hurts me to admit but I agree with Baz on this

Caporegime
No problem, keep clinging to the 'it took Klopp' stuff and ignore the reality of what was happening at Liverpool and what is happening at Utd now.

People are expecting Ole to be at Klopp and Guardiola levels after only 1 year that's what I am trying to point out. It is not dig at all. Simply pointing out how it is. Klopp has been in management of two top level teams for 12 years just like Guardiola and everyone is expecting Ole to be at their level in just one year.

There is no arguing it is an expensive risk at what they are doing but we have tried all the big managers already there is not much left to try unless we do something crazy like Bielsa!

fez

fez

Caporegime
People are expecting Ole to be at Klopp and Guardiola levels after only 1 year that's what I am trying to point out. It is not dig at all. Simply pointing out how it is. Klopp has been in management of two top level teams for 12 years just like Guardiola and everyone is expecting Ole to be at their level in just one year.

It doesn't matter thought does it. If I can't be a premier league footballer because I am not good enough do you play me in the team for 5 years hoping that I somehow become one. You don't appoint a manager who isn't good enough to a position like this and then keep them when they are not showing any signs of becoming a top class manager.

Soldato

There is no arguing it is an expensive risk at what they are doing but we have tried all the big managers already there is not much left to try unless we do something crazy like Bielsa!
Klopp worked his way up from Mainz...he wasn't handed teams who were mostly ready made like pep

Soldato

We had van gal at end of his time Jose who is known to implode so that's just 2 can't class moyes as top class poch would be a better fit with younger players in my opinion

Caporegime
We had van gal at end of his time Jose who is known to implode so that's just 2 can't class moyes as top class poch would be a better fit with younger players in my opinion

Poch lost the dressing room and couldn't fix it. Would be the same with United. Another 3 year manager merry go round.

Ole is a massive risk but if he can come good you have a manager of a club he will die for the next decade.

Do not forget he had a massive clear out in the summer and has basically started a fresh.

Caporegime
Yes was strange the way it happened at spurs but the team we've got should be playing better than they are they're not been coached properly

The team on the field today consisted of 5 academy players. Two 50 million players, a player who was in the championship last season, Phil comedy Jones and De Gea who is about the only United quality player left.

Don
The team on the field today consisted of 5 academy players. Two 50 million players, a player who was in the championship last season, Phil comedy Jones and De Gea who is about the only United quality player left.

You mentioned Bielsa so I’ll mention he took a terrible team who finished 14th to 3rd the next season and then top this season. That’s his coaching ability that did that, not spending mega bucks.

Soldato
As a United fan myself I know that but it's not just this match is it we should be beating teams like Burnley Newcastle look at the way we played against arsenal the players are capable of playing better than this dross complete lack of coaching mate since ollie got the job full time we've gone backwards you can't argue with that its completely down to training

Caporegime
You need a manager with a regime, who has access to players who can play the game exactly how he wants it to be played. Money certainly helps but if spent wrongly without any vision you’re just plugging holes.

Klopp’s influence was noticeable right away and Liverpool’s midfield is arguably average to below average (excluding Hames Milner and certainly before Fabinho) but he’s drilled them to do what they need to do to win matches.

Don
Not convinced. If Pep is still here next season he will just buy a replacement. He didn't start tonight and there was no Silva.
I'm in two minds re Pep leaving or staying. He has a history of short stints and did jump ship at Barca when things started to get tough but where does he go that will be set up for him like City are?

Not sure you can just look at today's selection and assume he won't play either. City have several top class creative midfield players and they've all had more than their fair share of games. Foden won't be a first name on the team sheet like a KDB but he'll get plenty of games next season when Silva leaves. And given the work City need to do on their backline and possibly replacing Aguero, can't see them signing any midfielders in the summer.

I didn't take it as a dig, I just think it's silly to compare. Just because it took x so long to reach a certain point, that doesn't mean you should give y the same amount of time. I've said it time and time again, look at the progress Klopp showed in each and every season he's been at Liverpool. From the first game you could see Klopp's mark on the team. Without any transfers and little time on the training ground due to ridiculous amounts of Cup games that season, Klopp was still able to make noticeable changes and improvements to our style of play. When he did get that time to work on things and was able to make a couple of signings you then saw the next phase of our development, moving to a 4-3-3 with the likes of Wijnaldum and Lallana in orthodox central midfield roles, playing with players that are comfortable on the ball at fullback (Milner in this case) and a front 3 with Firmino as a false 9 and Mane as a wide forward. There's been a gradual upgrade of certain positions year on year but the basis of the side we are now, in terms of system & playing style and personnel, was built in Klopp's first summer.

Where are the same signs of progress at Utd? I watch pretty much every Utd game and I cannot see what Utd are building. There's no clear system or style of play, certainly not something capable of getting Utd back challenging for the biggest honours again. It might seem a strange player to pick out because he's probably been one of your better performers but the signing of Wan-Bissaka highlights the total confusion around Utd right now. He's a good defender, particularly defending 1v1 situations but he's not a good footballer. He's somebody that you want in your side if you're battling at the bottom of the table, not looking to push on and compete for Leagues and European Cups.

Soldato
You need a manager with a regime, who has access to players who can play the game exactly how he wants it to be played. Money certainly helps but if spent wrongly without any vision you’re just plugging holes.

Klopp’s influence was noticeable right away and Liverpool’s midfield is arguably average to below average (excluding Hames Milner and certainly before Fabinho) but he’s drilled them to do what they need to do to win matches.

Completely agree. The current european...sorry world champions who are walking the league having lost one game in 57s midfield is below average. Its mad how every single one of them would get into any team in the leagues midfield lol.

Back
Top Bottom