Careers in IT

Soldato
No matter what you love and how much you love it... doing it as a job will change your feelings over time.

I worked 11 years non stop after doing a degree in computer science and software engineering, had a career break of a year when I got made redundant.. and now I'm back in the so-called rat race for the past 5/6 years.

Don't get me wrong, my job is one of the best jobs/positions I've had, and I have had many due to promotions, relocations and so forth.. but I don't even turn on a computer when I get home.

If I had choice I would start a career in something else, but I can't really afford to start on the bottom of the career ladder again. Many IT folkes I know think this, but at the same time time many folkes like yourself (OP) think their line of work want a career change themselves into something else. Grass is always green et. al. but if your on good money, use that cash to enjoy yourself during your non working hours.

Caporegime
Agreed about the degree. I started off as 1st line support and I've moved up over the years and I'm now an IT Manager looking after staff, servers and network infrastructure. All achieved with hard work and self improvement, and no degree in sight. I'm at the point in my career now where I think a degree is irrelevant, as I have the experience and skillset to prove what I can do.

This.

I'm now Head of Infrastructure for a group of companies operating across Europe and the Middle East. No degree here either, and only a handful of industry-based qualifications.

Associate
My biggest issue with working in IT (bear in mind I now work with VMware and Server projects / minor support) is people saying:
"Oh you work with computers, I've got this problem with my MacBook / desktop / whatever, can you fix it?"

Soldato
My biggest issue with working in IT (bear in mind I now work with VMware and Server projects / minor support) is people saying:
"Oh you work with computers, I've got this problem with my MacBook / desktop / whatever, can you fix it?"

This is why I 'no longer know about computers' and am just a programmer :p

As above, doing support did kind of ruin tinkering with PCs for me (I started a while back on support). Don't know if I just grew out of it, or if it just ruined my interest, but these days, even though I'm out of support, I just want the thing to work and have no interest in tinkering. I will upgrade and build my own machines still, but these days it's because something broke or doesn't work as well as I want it to rather than doing it for fun.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You don't need a degree, it helps but don't need one.

I started off as helldesk and I'm now a consultant, show you know what you're doing and find the right company.

This.. Experience (no matter how small) over degree level any day. The IT market has become saturated with too many degree students all at the same level with nothing to decipher between them and most haven't a ***** clue about what goes on in the real world.

The problem is getting the experience so I would keep plugging away trying to get into an entry level, maybe do some personal services, just something to say you've had some hands on experience that makes you stands out from the rest.

get some db knowledge, SQL etc..

Man of Honour
So much this, I used to love mucking about on them in my spare time.
Since working in IT I'll do everything I can to avoid using one in my spare time!
This is also very true. The longer I've worked in IT the less I've enjoyed tinkering with my home computer. I'll build it, make it work, and that's it. I won't bother messing with it beyond that.

Don
I will echo the no-degree views too.
I have no degree and started in 1st line back in the mid 90s. I became a consultant by 2000 and have been doing that for 15 years now.
It's all about intelligence, ability, willingness to learn, and a little bit of luck.

If I was interviewing a candidate for a consultant role I wouldn't even look at their education. It's meaningless.

Man of Honour
I think things have changed quite considerably over the last ten years, and certainly since the growth of the internet. Now, anyone and his pet dog can pick an on-line tutorial , grab an RDP and they're off. Couple this with the uni text book sorts and the problem's compounded.

It was very different to when i started.. The skills shortage then meant if you had some program experience that was all you needed. I've been in IT 30 years in January :(

There are still a shortages but in very niche areas.

Soldato
Just don't go into support, a thankless miserable task where you get all the blame, little pay and contempt.

Unfortunately that can often be the only way in.

Easy to work up though if you find the right company. If you don't move anywhere after a year or two, then move on.

Soldato
As has been said, I would focus on jumping in on an entry level position that doesn't require a degree and spend time doing other courses that are much more useful in the industry. For one you won't end up in a load of debt to get a degree that a lot of people already have, and you can use the funds to get industry recognised certifications.

I don't have any formal education past AS level, and I don't even bother including them or my GCSE's on my CV, I just mention any industry course I have done.

Also, I used to love computers, now they are just machines that I spend as little time tinkering with as possible. I used to overclock, watercool, everything. Now I build, use, and that's it. Most of the time I just use my Macbook, because it's nice and simple and does everything I need when I am not working.
Don't get me wrong, I spend quite a bit on my home computer, but I buy new parts install them and that's me done with it.

Caporegime
Aside from GCSE my only other qualifications is accreditations within the Transport industry, not checked if they have any merit for anything else though.

I like the programming and software aspect of computing, in my youth I messed about with Visual Basic and made a couple of programs but never did anything more with it. Preferably would like something like this but no idea where to start.

well maybe look at software vendors or large transport companies with big IT departments - you could try and go for a junior business analyst or project management type role since you've got some domain knowledge

it would seem to be silly to just go and get some ****ty help desk job and 'work your way up' as suggested by some - you're not a teenager and you've got management experience elsewhere and it doesn't sound like you want a printer monkey type role anyway

Back
Top Bottom