Careers in IT

Associate
I've got a degree in computer programming and i have worked in helpdesk support, VOIP for businesses and currently a Senior Tech for a company managing the networks, PCs and phones (around 800).

The degree bit was usesless apart from looking good on paper. Experience is what helped me get this job. Try stuff like Code Academy etc if you are looking into coding just to get you the basics and to see if you do actually enjoy it.

Caporegime
alternative to a degree - maybe try something like this:

https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/G400-13

essentially a part time systems analyst course

If you're interested in software development then I think it would be a shame to go into some help desk role, since you can't program then some other aspect of development where you can also use your domain knowledge might be useful - granted I don't know what your specific experience is or what your industry is like but I'd suspect there are people out there working on software for it and they'd likely value the experience of someone who has worked in that industry

Soldato
This is also very true. The longer I've worked in IT the less I've enjoyed tinkering with my home computer. I'll build it, make it work, and that's it. I won't bother messing with it beyond that.

Understandable, probably applies to a lot of people and in a range of roles, even outside of IT. You spend the whole day at work on a computer, the last thing you probably want to do is use one again at home!

Associate
Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice, I'm 30 years old and have been working at management level in the Transport industry for the past 6 years. I've stumbled into this job but I get no satisfaction and I need a change in my life.

My question is I love computers, have built them, been around them all my life and have a good understanding of them but would love to work with them. In what capacity I'm honestly not sure but I'm after some advice on a potential career change.

What courses are best to study in my own time to help get a job in IT? What roles are available which pay a reasonable amount? Any sort of tips really.

I left chef work after 14 years and blagged my way into a 1st line role whilst studying for my Comptia A+. Listened and learnt on the job and got approached to move into a 2nd line role by a large corporate company through an agency. 6 months in that role learning, keeping my head down and working hard I got offered a specialized role in the same company.

2 years in IT and I now earn more money than I have ever done in any job, get exposure to industry leading technologies and get to build and manage virtual environments.

If you want it you just need to work hard. FYI I was 33 when I decided to change career. I love working in IT, wouldn't change it for the world

Associate
You sound a little like my previous self OP, I'm 27 and I did 5 years in the army working on tanks, doing huge amounts of phys, blowing things up and the like to jacking it all in and switching over to IT.

You don't need a degree though of course it will help but then won't having experience, certifications, knowing the right people or simply a good work ethic etc?

I temped for a year as 1st line support which is the usual way to enter this industry if you lack a degree and I have no experience.

If you self study hard enough and consistently out perform your peers you are bound to be taken on full time.

It took me a few more months grinding out mind numbing phone calls before being promoted to 2nd line which is far better, hardly take any calls and for the most part you pick and choose what you want to work on.

3rd line is on the horizon now after being in IT for just two years, it's all about self study, invest in yourself.

Start learning and earning these certifications, in this order, once you've got the fundamentals down everything is easy.

A+ > Network+ > Security+ > CCNA > £££

For 1st line around London/Surrey way where I am you're looking at 17-24K, 2nd line 24-34k, 3rd line, well skies the limit where I am, guys are on 70+k, starting out on around 30K. It's what you bring to the table.

Soldato
Start by looking for 1st line roles, it's going to be a HUGE dip in pay. And expect properly **** work. But at the same time, work towards getting your MCSA.

My advice, I've been doing this 10 years and I can straight up tell you, building a PC at home for fun is entirely different than my job. A job in IT infrastructure as a senior engineer has NOTHING to do with my hobby and love of computers. Sure, I get to tinker with new technologies. But trust me. Saying "I like computers" does not mean IT is for you.

Soldato
Yeah that's kinda true. I did support for quite a few years, I was quite lucky in that I worked in small places where I got to do everything from server builds, networking/firewall to first/second line support. It was nice and varied and I learned a ton. Small to medium places are great for learning and development, larger places where they tier the support are not great for development and you will not be allowed to encroach outside your tier. Support is fine when you are younger also, not always when you get older, your patience runs thinner.

Associate
I started out doing support. Less than 2 years later I'm a developer and wear many other hats in my role.

Show that you have the will and skill, someone might give you a chance!

Back
Top Bottom