Carpet

Caporegime
I priced up our 7 x 4m bedroom.

Including disposal of current carpet and all fitting and VAT, we're being quote £1k dead for the bedroom by a local place. If I buy the carpet and underlay etc. myself from the cheapest places I can find, it's ~£800 and I'd have to fit it and dispose of it myself. This includes an assumption about having to buy ~£80 of tools so I can fit it myself. Otherwise a fitter would be ~£100.

Not worth it so gonna pay the local place.

Associate
Been reading this thread and have found some brilliant tips.

Problem I have is trying to find a carpet fitter who isn't over charging or maybe my expectations are a little to much? My friend has been given a 1 bed apartment by the council with no flooring and I estimate it is roughly 50 Sqm (not measured up yet as I've been working away). She has had 1 quote of £2200 to carpet and vinyl. carpet 2 rooms and hallway + vinyl kitchen and bathroom). I've suggested to her to buy the carpets online and just pay for a fitter. He came round and quoted her £600 to just do the fitting saying he charges £6 sqm to fit which doesn't add up.

Is that a reasonable price? I don't think it is!

Soldato

Problem I have is trying to find a carpet fitter who isn't over charging or maybe my expectations are a little to much? My friend has been given a 1 bed apartment by the council with no flooring and I estimate it is roughly 50 Sqm (not measured up yet as I've been working away). She has had 1 quote of £2200 to carpet and vinyl. carpet 2 rooms and hallway + vinyl kitchen and bathroom). I've suggested to her to buy the carpets online and just pay for a fitter. He came round and quoted her £600 to just do the fitting saying he charges £6 sqm to fit which doesn't add up.

What would you say is reasonable? They've got to make a living after all

Soldato
These prices are rather surprising, i paid £390 for 2 rooms, 21ftx17ft and 10ftx5ft, 11mm cloud9 underlay and fitting. Benefits of living outside of Birmingham :p

Caporegime

I noticed you're in glasgow. I know a guy who is local and will fit for £100. However you need to buy carpet off him as well. I managed to get him to do 2 bedrooms, hallway and stairs for £400 all in (carpet and fitting costs) if i remember correctly but he used the old underlay that was there previously. It may have been £340 actually can't remember it was 3 years back. Anyway it will be a ton cheaper than the guy quoting you £600 for labour alone.

If you want his phone number send me a trust message. That included the initial visit out to choose the carpet, etc. He will come to your home with samples he has thousands of them in his van.

You won't find cheaper than this guy. He is independent and we have been using him for 15 years now. Good quality carpet too. Had mine 3 years now still looks brand new.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems expensive, been quoted around £3sqm from both local companies and national chains.

if you want to save some cash buy and fit your own carpet underlay, it’s so easy. You get top of the line underlay for less than you’ll pay for average stuff from a carpet place.

Caporegime
These prices are rather surprising, i paid £390 for 2 rooms, 21ftx17ft and 10ftx5ft, 11mm cloud9 underlay and fitting. Benefits of living outside of Birmingham :p

I live in Studley and have been quoted £2,500 for a master bedroom, stairs and landing, and snug. The master and landing are quite big.

All in 50 Oz Cormar wool 80/20 with 11mm cumulus underlay.

Seems very expensive but then I really can't be arsed to buy and fit stuff myself. I couldn't find a single fitter willing to fit stuff I'd bought.

Associate
I noticed you're in glasgow. I know a guy who is local and will fit for £100. However you need to buy carpet off him as well. I managed to get him to do 2 bedrooms, hallway and stairs for £400 all in (carpet and fitting costs) if i remember correctly but he used the old underlay that was there previously. It may have been £340 actually can't remember it was 3 years back. Anyway it will be a ton cheaper than the guy quoting you £600 for labour alone.

If you want his phone number send me a trust message. That included the initial visit out to choose the carpet, etc. He will come to your home with samples he has thousands of them in his van.

You won't find cheaper than this guy. He is independent and we have been using him for 15 years now. Good quality carpet too. Had mine 3 years now still looks brand new.

Appreciate the offer mate, although I stay in Glasgow, my friend stays in Peterhead so it's quite a distance away

Back
Top Bottom