Cat n Fiddle run on the gixxer.

Caporegime
His riding was "spirited" alright but I cant see anything massively dangerous.

I would imagine a lot of the hateful comments come from non bikers who truly cannot understand the true agility and stop/start power of a sportsbike nevermind a obviously cared for 1000 gsxr...

So let me get this right, if i owned a 997 GT3 RS and took it up Buxton overtook everything crossed double whites it would be ok because the car can out brake 99% of cars on the road.....

Nice logic, yes a car / bike like the ops would allow him more of a safety margin due to its power / stopping ability however we quite correctly have a one rule fits all policy on our roads, you can't let people off because he has a more capable machine than somone riding a moped.

The fact the cops have taken this so seriously kinda points to the fact your view might be somewhat incorrect.

Last edited:
Associate
Youre still off though. How wide is the porsche?

Would it fit inbetween a 2 cars, more so- safely?

Clearly bikes are recognized as able to pass between cars, when safely done so - so no need to troll this point, within the highway code and any biker will tell you that this makes a great difference..

I appreciate his riding was dangerous and if he came accross something unexpected then there might have been trouble but I dont believe it was blind luck that he didnt injure himself or, more specifically, others on this run..

Its hard to appreciate the difference in mindset nevermind every other factor without being there - or even being a rider.

Associate
I'm a biker.

He rode like a tool in a video which he posted to 'impress' people I take it?. Sorry, but why would anyone be impressed by that vid?. Why would anyone want to post silly immature videos like that in the first place anyway?
A serious lack of braincells somewhere....

Save yourself a fortune & stay off the roads. Get a decent track bike for £3000 & spend the difference saved + insurance costs on a few dozen trackdays.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Youre still off though. How wide is the porsche?

Would it fit inbetween a 2 cars, more so- safely?

Clearly bikes are recognized as able to pass between cars, when safely done so - so no need to troll this point, within the highway code and any biker will tell you that this makes a great difference..

I appreciate his riding was dangerous and if he came accross something unexpected then there might have been trouble but I dont believe it was blind luck that he didnt injure himself or, more specifically, others on this run..

Its hard to appreciate the difference in mindset nevermind every other factor without being there - or even being a rider.

I would never call a fallback position of going between on overtaking and oncoming car as "safe", yes its less likely to result in a head on but you could argue the exposure time is exactly the same, also the car will stop change direction and protect you better should the worst happen.

Associate
I would never call a fallback position of going between on overtaking and oncoming car as "safe", yes its less likely to result in a head on but you could argue the exposure time is exactly the same, also the car will stop change direction and protect you better should the worst happen.

I wouldnt want to be in a head on collision inside a car at that speed, nor on a bike so I dont think thats irrelevant... Many deaths on both sides from things like that.

Chances are the oncoming vehicle and passengers would be better protected from a 200kg bike vs a 1.5/2T car - nevermind the mass.

Im simply stating that being on a bike and overtaking isnt comparable to being in a car and I drive both daily to know this.

As for the changing direction and stopping quicker... that im not so sure about. Sure its a known fact its easier to steer a car but in terms of displacing your entire shell from one side of the road to the other? I think the bike has better "dipping and diving" type capabilities, countersteer and a quick wit (which the rider has demonstrated) can make a bike very easy to move about at speed.
Also, twin 4pot calipers with likely braided lines and discs the size of most supercars make a bike very quick to slow, especially using your body as an airbrake.. you will slow incredibly quickly assuming you dont go heavy handed and lock up..

I feel this has turned into no more than a hole picking troll thread though for "Cars VS Bikes"... End of the day each have their merits and demerits and neither are wise for filming yourself doing silly speeds on the public highway!

Be safe out there

Pug

Pug

Soldato
indeed whatever we drive/ride we need to be safe.

But i am surprised at some of the peoples reaction on here - its borderline preaching. I havent seen the video, but some of the things people have mentioned sound to me something that isn't exactly out of the ordinary on a "normal" quick ride. Not being a rider may make it look more stupid, but it really isnt. As said above you can duck, and dive a lot more easily, and normally the worst thing that happnes is you upset another road user - not great, but not as bad as some are making out. I'm not going to debate it further, as frankly it will get nowhere, but as a rider for 16 years, 14 on sports bikes, and a driver for 15 years thats my take.

Also, that daily mail article is tragic, but the biggest contributor to that crash is the black car (focus?) which doesnt look, but pulls out to overtake the silver car causing the overtaking bike to have nowhere to go - so it could be argued the reason for his death is a car drivers ignorance about whats behiond him. I've had more near misses and offs thanks to car drivers whilst riding sensibly, than i have whilst i've been riding dangerously.

Associate
Also, that daily mail article is tragic, but the biggest contributor to that crash is the black car (focus?) which doesnt look, but pulls out to overtake the silver car causing the overtaking bike to have nowhere to go - so it could be argued the reason for his death is a car drivers ignorance about whats behiond him. I've had more near misses and offs thanks to car drivers whilst riding sensibly, than i have whilst i've been riding dangerously.

The bike was doing well over 100mph on a 60mph road. If the bike had stayed within the speed limit, the accident would never have happened. I expect the focus driver did look initially but the excess speed of the bike meant that he basically 'appeared from nowhere'. The bike wasn't seen because the focus had started to pull out long before the bike had even overtook the car behind the focus, if you'd have seen the video that was on youtube this is very clear.

Not the car drivers fault the biker road like a idiot.

Last edited:
Associate

The bike was doing over 100mph on a 60mph road, so If the bike had stayed within the speed limit the accident would never have happened. I expect the focus driver did look initially but the excess speed of the bike meant that he basically 'appeared from nowhere' and wasn't seen. The focus stated to pull out long before the bike even overtook the car behind the focus, if you'd have seen the video that was on youtube it's clear enough when you pause @ 4.25.

Not the car drivers fault the biker road like a idiot.

edit: 4.20-30

Last edited:
Soldato

Sorry, but you're wrong. The biggest contributer to the crash is the terrible standard of riding.

In the case of the guy on here, he did actually crash and trash the GSXR not so long ago by (from memory - cant be bothered to find the thread) riding round a blind bend at too high a speed to stop in time for an obstruction in the road - not quite the riding god he thought he was.

I like (love) fast bikes, but there's a time and a place

Pug

Pug

Soldato
if we're discussing the bit you've highlighted in bold, and having watched the video i feel what i said above even more stands true.

The bikes were in no way obscured if the focus had looked in its off-side mirror prior to overtaking. Even taking the speed into account (which i'll agree heaped fuel onto the fire) the car would have more than enough opportunity to see the bike, he just didnt. Whether he didnt look, or looked and didnt notice who knows, but there's no reason he shouldnt have seen them as they were well wide, and not obscured. Add to the fact the focus is overtaking the mondeo JUST as a car is coming on the opposite side is a stupid manouver and was also wreckless, contributing to the bike being forced under the van. Really tragic seeing it, and i wont argue that if he hadnt been speeding it may have been avoided. That said with the situation as it was, i still reckon he'd have been bundled up by the van if he'd been doing the speed limit; the bikes overtake was legal (ignoring the speed), the car just mashed him into the oncoming traffic :(

Caporegime
Sorry, but you're wrong. The biggest contributer to the crash is the terrible standard of riding.

In the case of the guy on here, he did actually crash and trash the GSXR not so long ago by (from memory - cant be bothered to find the thread) riding round a blind bend at too high a speed to stop in time for an obstruction in the road - not quite the riding god he thought he was.

It was posted on another forum that requres registration but somebody copied the post over here

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=17259321&postcount=137

Soldato

Me too? lol
Road position was more to blame than the speed for my accident, of which was legal just not appropriate to stop in time for an obsturction around a corner.

But I agree there is a time and a place ---> Track thats where you we sort the all talk and the people who can ride.

And that video has been done to death on here, we dont really need to go through it again.

Associate
A twist to the story...turns out his friend has also been charged with something due to the videos as well...just gets better and better!

Sadly hes deleted the post of BCF.

Caporegime
Shocking... I guess that means we can all ride like that and then say we're sorry afterwards and it'll all be OK.

depends

if there really has been genuine remorse and a shift in attitude i'm all for it.

If its fake and done to try and get off lightly ..... well you can guess what i think of that.

Back
Top Bottom