Cat people... Heat

Soldato
You shouldn't really have a cat spayed before its first time in heat as it can cause problems with growth iirc, also with her being young the spaying might not have fully taken so take her to the vet and get her checked out.

KaHn

That's rubbish. Kittens can be spayed at 12 weeks old, and although some vets prefer to wait, it is an age limit set, not whether or not the cat has been in heat.

Soldato
That's rubbish. Kittens can be spayed at 12 weeks old, and although some vets prefer to wait, it is an age limit set, not whether or not the cat has been in heat.

I am going from experiences with dogs being spayed before their first season, it can cause problems with Infantile Vulva due to lack of hormones.

As I said this could not be a problem for cats.

KaHn

Associate
Don't think they have.

Other half called the vets today and said they might have to open her up again to examine.

Poor little thing won't like that. She found it really stressful last time.:(

This was from the vets that removed the stitches only to find two stitches remaining once we got home. Had to take her back to get them removed.

Sounds a pretty negligent vet. Our one had dissolvable stitches and I thought they were standard now.

The vets probably got confused and sprayed the wrong cat.

There is probably an old couple somewhere trying there hardest to breed their cat.... :p

lol although you would think the OP would have been a tad suspicious if there had been a lack of stitches etc.

Soldato
One of our 'girls' has definately been done as she's 4, but she gets more affectionate at this time of year, rubbing herself up against you and making little cheeping noises, with her tail in the air, so it should be all right.

My Little Puddin does that all the time!.. She even Purrs sooo much it causes a Massive Dribble Bubble on her nose that Plops off, usually onto me!!... :D

Soldato
Our little cat is on heat now and she's only ~8 months old, she's no bigger than a kitten herself. We always let them have their first litter before getting them neutered as I've been told there can be problems if they do it any earlier.

It's always nice to have kittens running around the house too :D.

Soldato
Our little cat is on heat now and she's only ~8 months old, she's no bigger than a kitten herself. We always let them have their first litter before getting them neutered as I've been told there can be problems if they do it any earlier.

What do you do if no one wants the kittens? Kill them?

KaHn

Associate

It is nice if you want the kittens or can get them good homes an of course we have to let them reproduce sometimes or they would die out. But that's the biggest myth going in the world of cats and the bane of cat protection charities.

What do you do if no one wants the kittens? Kill them?

KaHn

Worst case scenario you can phone in a smaller cat charity and they will often get them all neutered and give them back so you can rehome them easier or rehome them themselves.

Back
Top Bottom