CES 2021

Soldato
there are around 6 4K 32” high free screens been launched this year, in,ceding some other mini led ones which aren’t as high as hdr1400 so may well be cheaper.

of course been launched this year doesn’t mean you can buy them, maybe in 2022 if you are lucky
We really need DP version 2.0 first to run these 4K screens at 144hz HDR without having to drop colour setting.

Caporegime
Now they just need to announce one that we can cut around 10 to 16 inches of it off :p

I am always amazed that LG hasn’t used the same pixel size from the 48” oled and made a 38” ultrawidescreen 144hz oled monitor. It would sell like hot cakes. I haven’t done the maths but I it would be smaller than a g9. And get round the issue people have that the 48” is too big

I know the issue they are having making smaller then 48” screens is getting the price down on the smaller oleds needed for 32” or 40” but that’s keeping it at 4K.
U
I mean people would even buy 32” Qhd 144hz screens by the boatload

Associate
What we get from more expensive models are only more HZ and resolution, panel doesn't improve, too many drawbacks. We desperately need at least miniled to improve contrast on IPS panels and i hope we will get 2k mini led gaming monitors this year. If this technology can raise contrast of IPS while keeping same everything else im buying it no matter what price.

Caporegime
The only thing that really bugs me about LCD monitors is they don't seem to have that depth or shine to the picture like an OLED & plasma screen,
Not sure how much this is to do with most LCD screens are matt and not glossy like an OLED/Plasma
Yup a large part of that "sheen" will be down to oled etc. displays having a glossy/no matte finish.

Part of me wishes I never got an oled as I can't look at LCD any more :p :( Been swapping back and forth between my oled and ips monitor over the last week with various games and trying my best to convince myself that the difference isn't as big as what I think but...... like I always say, it is like comparing a ps 3 game to a next gen game on the ps 5 especially with HDR :o

Having got a lot more used to the xbox one controller as well, I don't really miss the M+K for shooters anymore, much rather laze on the couch with a controller.

Another thing, which I think is massively over rated and have always said this from day 1 is g/free sync, don't get me wrong, if people aren't wanting to experiment around a little with different kinds of vsync, triple buffering and FPS locks via either the game or RTSS etc. then sync tech. is a great feature for when FPS is fluctuating or/and dipping <60 fps but ultimately low fps is still low fps and gaming on my oled (when tweaked to sustain a constant locked 60 fps) is a much nicer smoother experience in every way including motion clarity than my 144HZ freesync monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another thing, which I think is massively over rated and have always said this from day 1 is g/free sync, don't get me wrong, if people aren't wanting to experiment around a little with different kinds of vsync, triple buffering and FPS locks via either the game or RTSS etc. then sync tech. is a great feature for when FPS is fluctuating or/and dipping <60 fps but ultimately low fps is still low fps and gaming on my oled (when tweaked to sustain a constant locked 60 fps) is a much nicer smoother experience in every way including motion clarity than my 144HZ freesync monitor.
Now am much older 50+ am not sure how much difference G-Sync/Free-sync even makes :p

Specially now we have 144+hz monitors these days and most my gaming life has been on only a 60hz screen..
I had my first gaming PC back in 1997, But my first 144hz monitor was not till Oct 2014 (asus PG278Q)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Now am much older 50+ am not sure how much difference G-Sync/Free-sync even makes :p

Specially now we have 144+hz monitors these days and most my gaming life has been on only a 60hz screen..
I had my first gaming PC back in 1997, But my first 144hz monitor was not till Oct 2014 (asus PG278Q)

Lol similar here, my first gaming PC was in 1991 and just got my first >60hz monitor just before xmas lol (actually may not be true as seem to remember my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 22" CRT screen was 85hz at native res and could do up to 160hz at 1080p. So its taken me years to get a better screen)

Associate
Lol similar here, my first gaming PC was in 1991 and just got my first >60hz monitor just before xmas lol (actually may not be true as seem to remember my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 22" CRT screen was 85hz at native res and could do up to 160hz at 1080p. So its taken me years to get a better screen)
Fun fact: VGA text mode is 70Hz, as are low-res modes like 320x200, hence we had greater-than-60Hz displays as standard in the late 80s.

That was one of the most frustrating things with the CRT to LCD transition - you gave up higher refresh rates, no native resolutions (CRTs are awesome at adapting to different resolutions), super colour reproduction...

It's only in the last 10 years or so that we've caught back up.

Caporegime
That's another pet peeve of mine with monitors..... anything but native res. being absolute dog ****, where as with my oled, I can have the really demanding games running at 1920x1080 and still look better than 3440x1440 on my monitor..... :o

Soldato
Fun fact: VGA text mode is 70Hz, as are low-res modes like 320x200, hence we had greater-than-60Hz displays as standard in the late 80s.

That was one of the most frustrating things with the CRT to LCD transition - you gave up higher refresh rates, no native resolutions (CRTs are awesome at adapting to different resolutions), super colour reproduction...

It's only in the last 10 years or so that we've caught back up.
That's another pet peeve of mine with monitors..... anything but native res. being absolute dog ****, where as with my oled, I can have the really demanding games running at 1920x1080 and still look better than 3440x1440 on my monitor..... :o
And we also had the very high input Lag on most LCD's for years :( CRT > LCD was such a huge down grade for many years
But most people put up with this TFT/LCD crap just so they had one the latest sexy looking slim monitors and saved a bit of desk space :p

I love to see what they would have done with tech in an CRT now if LCD, plasma & OLED never came out and took over them.;)

Last edited:
Soldato
We really need DP version 2.0 first to run these 4K screens at 144hz HDR without having to drop colour setting.
3½ years old HDMI 2.1 has enough bandwidth for that.
But for inexcusable reason both monitors and graphics cards have been slow to upgrade their HDMI ports to that.
And even DSC of DP 1.4 came very late into monitors.

Caporegime
Caporegime
And they confirmed they will be releasing 20"-30" OLED TV/monitors next year as well.

Finally the monitor world is about to get a huge shakeup.
Oh what! Great news! :D

Hope to god they do a 34" 3440x1440 OLED

Be interesting to see prices.

OLED is the one thing that I be happy to spend ££££ on, it is by far the biggest upgrade I have made. But having said that, I won't be spending more than £1300 on one, not when you can get 55" OLED tvs for £1k-1200k

Back
Top Bottom