Champions League 24/25th April *spoilers*

Good game! Some great goals in there - can't wait for the 2nd leg. I don't think Utd will beat Milan at the San Siro though - if they're to go through it'll be because of a draw.

Morning.

What a fantastic game of football I watched last night.
wub.gif
hammer_time.gif

As a neutral in this instance I rate this game higher than the 7-1 game. Simply because two teams decided to play attacking, intensive and energtic football, and the ref did quite well for being UEFA sanctioned.

Outstanding performances from both sides. I thought Scholes was massive in the second half. Fletcher did really well too.

Thanks to my old beloved Milan from the Gullit/Van Basten days and thanks to The Reds for putting up such a memorable game of football.
Clearly, as much as I want to, we wont see Kalinka football between Chelski and Pool tonight. I just hope we win, and I will settle for that.

Last edited:
BoomAM said:
Good goal by Rooney.
Milan are still in with a shout imo.

Gila did nothing all game. Waste of a player.
The game was very open, both teams had spells of domination, and despite what some might say, Milan had just as many 'domination spells' as United did.
Dida, did his usual of brillient one minute, rubbish the next.
Bonera, as usual, did excellent when he come on. A very under-rated player.
Kaka started doing well after his first goal.
But its not as easy as people make out to 'shackle' Kaka. If it was, then he wouldnt have done what he did tonight.

We looked very composed on the ball, very relaxed. A sign of experiance and class imo. While we dont attack with the same pace as United, no-one can deny that the fluency of Milans passing, and the calmness of the players under pressure is impressive.

Im quite pleased with the result tbh. 3-2 is a good result in my eyes.

What did you think of Seedorf? how many times did he give the ball away, rubbish i thought.

Fair play to united, they played their own game instead of trying to play the european way, milan in the second half didnt have an answer.

I gattuso out for the next leg?

stunning game last night - I thought we were buried before half time (I personally think Evra was booked unfairly - but soon after could have got a 2nd yellow)

Kaka's 2nd goal was a gift - some reports blaming Heinze and Fletcher, which I cant fathom, as I think Heinze had the measure of him and would have taken the ball if Evra hadnt clattered into him

Scholes's and Carrick seemed to have a relatively quiet 1st half after the first few minutes but after the break where immense (as was Fletcher) - Hoping Gary will be back for the next match so Oshea can take either of the left defensive slots and leave Fletcher as a midfielder (where he is easily worth his position)

I personally think Ronaldo was a little selfish at times and took the ball on too far and lost promising positions, but it would have been a crime not to award the first goal to him (wasnt it initially marked as a Dida own goal?)

Rooney and Giggs where great (guessing Giggs booking was for dissent also?) and that last minute one has to be a goal of the season - without a single touch into that narrow space --- fabulous especially from someone "without much form " this season - is that 22 or 23 this season?

Brilliant

Hard work still to do but we can progress I think (but maybe not win at the San Siro)

Youstolemyname said:
Good win for Man U but I think the loss of Gatusso really allowed Man U back in to the game as up until that point Milan had the edge.

Quoted for truth

TBH I thought Man U played very poorly for long spells of the match, regularly getting caught in possession or making very poor passes. But as soon as the second United goal went in the game completely changed. Every united player wanted the ball. Every United player was moving for each other, every pass looked more confident. The midfield came alive. They chased they harried and they played Milan out of the game.

Every goal scored last night was a cracker.

IMO it was a good thing Evera got himself booked. But its a shame that there may not be a replacement for him.

Is Giggs out of the next leg, I'm sure the commentators said he had already picked up a card in a previous game.

Scholes will have to be careful in the next game, if he picks up a card he will be out of the final.

Overall it was a great game to watch. I hope united go through.

FrankJH said:
I personally think Ronaldo was a little selfish at times and took the ball on too far and lost promising positions, but it would have been a crime not to award the first goal to him (wasnt it initially marked as a Dida own goal?)

i think thats the benefit of having 2 young guns like rooney and ronaldo.

when one doesnt do so well the other can still excel - therefore taking the pressure off the underperfomer.

if we had only ronaldo, or only rooney the spotlight would be too intense on the individual in question and every move/mistake scrutinized by the press. this way they can share the burden.

and for a potato head, rooney certainly hit a couple of king edwards into the back of the sack last night.

Nickg said:
i think thats the benefit of having 2 young guns like rooney and ronaldo.

when one doesnt do so well the other can still excel - therefore taking the pressure off the underperfomer.

if we had only ronaldo, or only rooney the spotlight would be too intense on the individual in question and every move/mistake scrutinized by the press. this way they can share the burden.

and for a potato head, rooney certainly hit a couple of king edwards into the back of the sack last night.

Theres a disturbance in the force. I find myself agreeing with Nickg ;)

Great game last night.

As a neutral I thought Milan had a pretty poor show. Kaka was amazing, and Gattuso stood out. Other than that they didn't really do anything. Gilardino, was he meant to be the striker? he hardly had a mention.

As for Man Utd, I think they put in a great performance, especially second half. The second goal was really poor to concede, but Kaka's determination was great, as was for the first goal.

Milan will be the happier side going into the away leg I guess. It will be a bigger test for Man Utd at the San Siro but they need to keep attacking them there, and not be cautious. I think Man Utd will win it 1-2.

It was a good result last night, we really needed that last goal from Rooney, especially as Milan got two away goals. I really think we needed to win last nights game by two clear goals to be in with a good chance of getting through. One goal gives us a chance, but we really need to score at least one in Milan, now.

Fletcher and Heinze were great, but I think Fletcher edges it on sheer determination alone. When he plays as he did last night it seems hard to imagine that he could leave. He's gone up in my estimation since these last two CL games.

Oh, and Scholes' pass, just class!

6thElement said:
Are you a Utd fan Gids? If I'd have known we should have clearly gone to some games, I used to go all the time.

Not a die hard fan but one of my mates is a season ticket holder so I usually go to the Champions league fixtures.

DQN said:
So now players are being judged by their looks? Can you please remind me when that mattered in football? To come back from a 2-1 half time deficit against AC Milan? Get a reality check fella, United are playing on the pure adrenaline of the fact they could accomplish the treble once again. We will be heading to the San Siro with the same mindset that we do for every other game and that's to win, yes Milan will be happy with the score line but they're going to be pressing for goals in the return leg and I'm sure you of all people are aware how deadly Manchester United are on the counter attack. AC could be taking a corner and 15 seconds later the ball is in their net at the other side of the pitch, how can you deflate the characters of such fantastic athletes. Especially Giggs, over 700 games and he's still playing at the top of his game. Wayne hasn't had the best of seasons but he’s scoring when it matters, last time I checked football is a team game and as long as the 3 points can be accounted for or the progression into the next stage of whatever tournament they're participating in it doesn't matter if Wayne Rooney scores or someone the likes of John O'Shea does. You have nothing to say about Ronaldo either, he's pure class and there's not a player in the Champions League or the domestic english league that can do the things he does. He's a match winner and produces top quality performances, you sir are an idiot and your comment possesses no validity whatsoever.

Sorry I upset you, I didn't see the ronaldo image in your sig. He obviously means a lot to you. It is true that no other player can do what ronaldo does, I mean I don't think many of the other players had the time or patience to train for the theatre before making it as a professional footballer. But hey he had good forsight as now he can act his way through a game.

I think Rooney is overated that is all. Everyone talks about him being the pinnacle of english football, yeh that's true but did any of you lot actually see the last 12 or so England performances? Not a lot to live up to is it!? Rooney is a good player don't get me wrong, he's just not as good as people make him out to be.

Giggs is a cheat, you can see he is clearly not at the top of his game, his pace has diminished meaning he now has to play for fouls allowing him to attempt to turn in a cheeky free kick. The perfect cover up for tiring legs. I don't need to sit here and justify my comments about Man Usa not winning the champions league as this will soon be proved anyhow for everyone to see.

PS: I am not a city fan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom