• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Chance to unlock to a Quad for under £50

Soldato
Actually some of the Athlon II X3 and X4 chips were based on Deneb cores and have L3 cache which can be unlocked
Thank you Cat! . . . I am of course fully aware of this! :p

The Athlon II X3 can also be possibly unlocked to an Athlon II X4.
Indeed, I was hoping for either a full Deneb Core/Cache unlock or at the very least a Propus Core unlock however I got neither . . . but thanks for rubbing it in! ;)

Ladies and gentlemen, we have on our hands a young know-it-all here keen to prove his worth . . . I foresee a great future for this helpful and friendly chappie! :cool:

Soldato
Unlike the Asus boards, I don't think single cores can be disabled on this motherboard. It's all or nothing in terms of unlock.

Anyway. Still solid as a rock looping 3dmark and Prime95. Still occasionally BSODs on the way into Windows on booting.

Just wondering. Does overdrive set the voltages straight after POST? I'm not sure it would work for getting me into Windows.

Still playing with HT and CPU-NB multiplier and voltage which seems to make a difference of sorts. That's the other thing that's a bit of a pain with this board. The CPU-NB voltage was added in later BIOS revisions. It doesn't tell you the value of the voltage

In other news a quick case mod involving a few spare parts, gaffer tape and a spare 120mm fan I had lying around has given me a new intake in the 5.25 inch bays. CPU load temps down about 8°C. Looks pretty tidy too. That's my kinda modding :).

Soldato
Ladies and gentlemen, we have on our hands a young know-it-all here keen to prove his worth . . . I foresee a great future for this helpful and friendly chappie! :cool:

Cat is well known on another forum or two. He has a pretty decent past already :). Always a very helpful chap and nice to see him here.

Soldato
Off Topic:

Haha no worries! :)

Your on my list of Phone-All-friend candidates if ever I get on Who Wants to be a Millionaire PC Edition ;)

Cat is well known on another forum or two. He has a pretty decent past already :). Always a very helpful chap and nice to see him here.

Frighteningly knowledgeable, he's just at that awkward stage of offering up info to anyone and everyone! . . . I was exactly the same when I was younger! :o

I've now learnt a bit better to either wait for someone to ask for help or answer a specific question and also how to give them the info they needed without making them feel stupid or making me look like a smart *** :D

The future is looking good for OcUK forums, the new young blood nerds and geeks arriving recently is a real asset to us all . . . I dare say these forums would be a better place if they removed the post count thingy, it can be quite misleading! :cool:

Soldato
Looking promising at the moment. Bumped up CPU-NB voltage 0.1v and have both CPU-NB and HT Link frequencies at 2184MHz. It's survived about 8 restarts in a row (repeately restarting is my alternative stability testing here).

Still 3GHz but with my temps down to something managable I might get back to clocking if I've finally got Windows booting reliably.

Soldato
Think I've run into a FSB wall at around 286MHz. Go over that and I start getting prime errors. Dropping RAM, NB and HT doesn't help. Dropping CPU multi in overdrive doesn't help. A bump to CPU-NB voltage really seems to have settled it down and made it reliable/usable.

Managed to drop my VCore to under 1.5 volts again. Just stress testing FSB @ 282 for 3.1GHz. HT and NB @ 2256mhz. Prime's been running for half an hour and CPU temps are 58 - 59 °C on a cheap and cheerful Freezer Pro 64. With the 5.25" bays open I can knock another 8°C off that so I'm planning to make a vent grille for them.

Amazing really - I think with a different motherboard someone else could squeeze more out of this chip. That 11x multi is going to prove awkward for some.

I may go quiet for a while once I get down to some gaming on this thing:).

Edit: From one Athlon X2 5000+ to another, that was one heck of an upgrade...

Further Edit: Passed S&M @ 3.1 GHz. It's looking very good :)

4310361378_76589e0ec8_o.jpg

4309624499_82f6209787_o.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
As I know not all those CPUs can be unlocked.

There is 4 periods. CACVC AC 0935,CACVC AC 0936,CACVC AC 0937 and CACVC AC 0938.

60% of 35&36 periods 5000 can be unlocked to quad-core.But 37&38 is only 30%.

My CPU is CACVC AC 0937. Its price is ¥360.

Many venders of TAOBAO in china tests all the 5000 CPUs.They set the price as ¥430
if the one could be unlocked.Others which failed tests they only set price as

¥ 340.They run more and more tests for it.

430 YEN? That's 3 pounds ;).

Where can I buy these !??!

Soldato
Look for this in Google:

amd x2 5000+ 2.2ghz

Interesting, but with this weeks price drops you can now get the x3 425 for under 50 which I think is better choice? Can't find any proper benchs for those so can't say really but the new x3 seems to OC to 3.6 very easily and can also be unlocked.

On the other hand if you could pick one of those 2nd hand for 20-25quid it would be a steal !

Soldato
Interesting, but with this weeks price drops you can now get the x3 425 for under 50 which I think is better choice? Can't find any proper benchs for those so can't say really but the new x3 seems to OC to 3.6 very easily and can also be unlocked.

On the other hand if you could pick one of those 2nd hand for 20-25quid it would be a steal !

The X3 425 is a better choice if you want to have some guaranteed performance and there is the chance it will unlock to an Athlon II X4 and if you are even luckier to a Phenom II X4. Failing all of that you should still be able to get a reasonable overclock out of it.

The X2 5000+ is more of a budget enthusiasts project as if the unlock does not work you have a 2.2GHZ Athlon II X2 although you maybe to overclock it a bit as seen in this thread.

Soldato
I got a 425 but gutted that the 4th core did not unlock... PC wont boot. However, its stuck at stock at the mo , but it got up to 3.5ghz in some testing... so should be a good clocker.

Back
Top Bottom