Change to MM access after 1st January 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You're completely missing the point. You're contributing exactly nothing to the community.

If nobody posts threads, or takes the time to reply to other threads there would be exactly zero content for us to read. The lurkers are relying on active contributors to provide them with content. All this rule about the members market does, is ensure that the people taking advantage of a business hosting their wanted\for sale ads where they get free moderation from the mod team, contribute to the forum by adding some content.
I contribute where I think I might have something to contribute? So you want posts about what Im having for lunch or somesuch?

Don
@ mods. My members market access has been removed, any chance of separating off the members wives forum and letting me have access again :)
I'm afraid you didn't make the cut this year ;)

Maybe one of those guys will take sympathy and share with you instead though

Soldato
I contribute where I think I might have something to contribute? So you want posts about what Im having for lunch or somesuch?
Well based on how long both of us have been here, neither of us can really be considered meaningful contributors. If everyone posted as infrequently as we did the forum would be dead.

Maybe contribute to active discussions rather than describe your lunch mind. Although there is a thread for that. ;)

Soldato
We need a play by play, detailed analysis of your lunch
I had some wraps made with love that consisted of ham and mayo (lite of course) where I nibbled slowly around the edges, squeezing the contents more into the middle so that the final bites consisted of creamy goodness, some of which leaked at the corner of my mouth slightly. I followed this with a pint of water and some insulin.

Soldato
I don't really buy the argument that the forums exist to drive traffic to the OcUK shop. Firstly Spie made it quite clear that the forums were for us to enjoy. And nowadays there are tons of subforums nothing to do with tech, and you can spot lots of users who either have zero interest in computers nowadays, or never did. Maybe in the middle the forums attracted a lot of new customers but not 20 years ago and not now, IMO.

Case in point: I joined the forums to post a build thread, immediately decided I wanted to get access to this members market thing, and got posting. 800 posts later I didn't have access yet but had settled in to a nice community. Now I rarely check the MM and almost never look at any hardware sections. I read (and post in) GD, Home & Garden and Motors daily.

I don't really get why a small number of people have taken this so personally, it's not like they've been banned from using the forum itself. Just from benefitting from a financial perk.

Commissario
OP
I don't really buy the argument that the forums exist to drive traffic to the OcUK shop. Firstly Spie made it quite clear that the forums were for us to enjoy. And nowadays there are tons of subforums nothing to do with tech, and you can spot lots of users who either have zero interest in computers nowadays, or never did.
There is always going to be a link between the two but you're right, we're not specifically here to push traffic to the shop and if that situation changed, I think they'd find themselves without a moderating team very quickly.
I can think of one attempt a few years ago to introduce adverts to the forum which ended well for us and badly for the person who tried to implement them.

Soldato
I had some wraps made with love that consisted of ham and mayo (lite of course) where I nibbled slowly around the edges, squeezing the contents more into the middle so that the final bites consisted of creamy goodness, some of which leaked at the corner of my mouth slightly. I followed this with a pint of water and some insulin.
4/5 - need to add some extra emotion next time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom