Chatgpt - Seriously good potential (or just some Internet fun)

Associate
so the new 'apple intelligence' sounds rather insidious functionality -
Despite apple pleading for respecting security of your data, would you want all of you data emails/photos/searches/purchases/(calls?) 'crunched' by a LLM to allow it to subsequently help you,
like clippy the paperclip, your data also being potentially processed by 3rd party OpenAI

etc https://appleinsider.com/inside/apple-intelligence
Most of it is processed on-device, and the Private Cloud code is open source (whether it's what they're actually using is another story).

You need to enable ChatGPT yourself, so it's exactly the same as anyone using it for anything, except there is some phone integration to make things easier.

Man of Honour
That's why responses seriously need to be able to cite courses so you can then go to verify various aspects of the answer

I've helped deploy it to search our knowledge base and lessons learned from other major projects. Works really well for our needs it's very basic but at least it's in our own ecosystem and it automatically links to sources (even to external data repositories - all legit that we are connected to).

But any work I agree sources should be cited so some due diligence can.be undertaken. Especially with anything that is related to decision making.

Soldato
Do the likes of IEEE explore,and professional databases allow their material to be trawled externally ?

At home if google is showing an AI censored set of replies, like for the Chinese citizens, where will you go who is number one.
'Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.'

Man of Honour
Do the likes of IEEE explore,and professional databases allow their material to be trawled externally ?

At home if google is showing an AI censored set of replies, like for the Chinese citizens, where will you go who is number one.
'Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.'

Many professional institutions do have a knowledgebase that is accessible (either via APIs etc..). There are also many associations that help to curate knowledge i.e. learning legacy for major projects etc... however it is still scattered all over the place, but the sign posting is getting better.

Caporegime
That's why responses seriously need to be able to cite courses so you can then go to verify various aspects of the answer

That's quite easy to do, just change the prompt slightly, definitely need to verify as you suggested and for sure sometimes models will hallucinate the citations.

IIRC some lawyer got in trouble after thinking he was smart getting ChatGPT to write an argument... not realising it had cited some completely made-up cases. :D

Associate
LLM-based AI is very good at sounding convincing and natural but half the time it is feeding you absolute bull****. Just a waste of time if I have to reach for google to verify everything it says anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even in the case where chatgpt/copilot could make citations, you'd need to read those to conclude if it precis'd those accurately and you thought they were comprehensive.

for the video fakes I'm not going to pay a cinema ticket to see if bleeding edge tech is good for harrison ford
https://www.wired.com/story/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-de-aging-tech/

Soldato
Our business is using a Microsoft "AI" product in the cloud. The one area where it could be really revolutionary is the unknown knowns. Where our engineers don't know what data or information exists and the "AI" tool can point you in the right direction. Like "how do I maintain this pump?" It then gives you the detail but also provides a link to the original source of information. Being a large old company with poor knowledge management we have so much information but badly managed and we end up having to relearn things or rely on institutional memory. In that environment something that can genuinely look at the full breadth of the digital information could be very useful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom