Cheap vs Expensive helmets and your preferred bike style?

Soldato
Wasn't it a helmet cam that added to Schumacher's injuries? They said it weakened the helmet

Apparently so :(

Mine is mounted on top of my head, so not much chance of that really, unless I high sided it or got knocked off at high speed and landed directly on the top of my head somehow :p

It makes me sad that people are so riled up when others don't proper gear and then are proud of their use of mirrored/iridium visors (I hope you at least carry a clear spare?)... Sorry but whichever way you look at it that impairs your vision, which literally makes you more prone to crashing. Not wearing good gear at least only harms you (more) - if - you get into an accident.

I think both are pretty silly tbh, legal or not.

Do mirror/iridium visors make it much darker than plain tinted then? I have a plain tinted 'track use only' visor which I couldn't do without. I don't see how it's unsafe, it's no worse than wearing sunglasses in a car (which can easily be even darker than my visor) and stops me getting blinded, particularly sunrise/sunset. Granted, sunglasses can be taken off easily in a car, but I can see everything perfectly with my dark visor...

As long as you put a clear visor on when it's dark, or dull (raining etc.) then no problems. I carry my clear visor in the winter with me as my commute home is in the dark (can't wait for that:().

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Do mirror/iridium visors make it much darker than plain tinted then? I have a plain tinted 'track use only' visor which I couldn't do without. I don't see how it's unsafe, it's no worse than wearing sunglasses in a car (which can easily be even darker than my visor) and stops me getting blinded, particularly sunrise/sunset. Granted, sunglasses can be taken off easily in a car, but I can see everything perfectly with my dark visor...

As long as you put a clear visor on when it's dark, or dull (raining etc.) then no problems. I carry my clear visor in the winter with me as my commute home is in the dark (can't wait for that:().

No, its pretty much similiar. When I had a moped 4 years ago, my visor was dark/black. Mirrored visor is just a dark visor applied with foil, once its lifted just a tiny bit you can see through it depending on what angle you look at it from outside. Have you ever seen one of those mirrors in a police station? That's how that foil on that dark visor works, so its pretty much the same.

I prefer to wear mirrored visor on a sunny day, then get blinded by the sun and crash into something... :rolleyes:

Edit

I hate wearing sunglasses, as they always make me misjudge the distance between me and an object. This also goes for those sun glasses built into the helmet, I think they're more dangerous than the mirrored visor...

Last edited:
Soldato
Since owning my shoei, wind noise isn't an issue anymore, my frank Thomas helmet is loud and no matter what vents you open up, you always get a steamed up visor.

My new helmet is definitely worth the cost, wouldn't hesitate to pick up another if I had to.

Soldato
This also goes for those sun glasses built into the helmet, I think they're more dangerous than the mirrored visor...
How do you misjudge the distance, unless you're not putting the visor all the way down and instead have the rim right in your line of vision?

IMO, there's nothing better - Sudden sun through the clouds, flip down. Enter a shaded road, flip up. Quick, easy, simple, effective.

Associate
Since owning my shoei, wind noise isn't an issue anymore, my frank Thomas helmet is loud and no matter what vents you open up, you always get a steamed up visor.

My new helmet is definitely worth the cost, wouldn't hesitate to pick up another if I had to.

What did you go for from the Shoei range?

Soldato
But during sunny days there's nothing better than mirrored visor, its so much better than the inbuilt sun glasses.

If the the taste police were real, you'd be going down for a long stretch. Mirrored/iridium visors are unbelievably tacky.

N
I hate wearing sunglasses, as they always make me misjudge the distance between me and an object. This also goes for those sun glasses built into the helmet, I think they're more dangerous than the mirrored visor...

Something wrong with your eyes maybe, or you have some very shoddy sunglasses? Sunglasses or built in sun visors should in no way affect your distance perception, there are no actual corrective optics involved, they simply reduce the amount of light reaching your eyes in exactly the same way as the nasty looking mirrored visors.

The only thing wrong with the build in sun visors IME is that they often aren't dark enough.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Something wrong with your eyes maybe, or you have some very shoddy sunglasses? Sunglasses or built in sun visors should in no way affect your distance perception, there are no actual corrective optics involved, they simply reduce the amount of light reaching your eyes in exactly the same way as the nasty looking mirrored visors.

they're cheap bent plastic they are not optically correct so they will affect your perception.

visors tend to be better quality/standards.

i prefer just a plain black visor

Soldato
they're cheap bent plastic they are not optically correct so they will affect your perception.

i prefer just a plain black visor

I agree, I find something not quite right about it, same with sunglasses really.

I have a clear visor and never seem to have had a problem with the sun. I never wear sunglasses either though, even abroad. :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Quite possibly the gayest thing ever said in this forum :p
vHKJWU4.gif

I prefer just a plain black visor
Exactly, even my aunty who is a optician she told me not to drive/ride in cheap sunglasses as they make you misjudge. She bought me a pair of sunglasses which I still have somewhere, they're a bit small now. But these weren't cheap and they don't affect my vision like other cheap sung glasses do.

I agree, I find something not quite right about it, same with sunglasses really.

I have a clear visor and never seem to have had a problem with the sun. I never wear sunglasses either though, even abroad. :p

I was coming back home there was a sunset, the sun was shinning straight into my eyes as I was riding towards it. Without my mirrored sun visor, I would be blinded as I refuse to use those inbuilt sun glasses. :rolleyes:

Soldato
How do you find it in terms of noise? For every review I can find saying it is quiet there is one saying it is stupidly loud

No problem with noise, I'm only on a 125 which can't do 70mph so wind noise above that speed might be noisy, but anything under is very good. Loads of padding so your head is nice and cushioned inside :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I was about to buy a shark helmet when I found that deal, jumped all over it, delivery was next day too. :)

I like that helmet, but already got the shark. I'll go to my bike shop and try them (GT abd XR) on. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom