• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cheapest Gaming GPU for 4K 60FPS

Caporegime
I want to build a cheap PC for my my AV rack in the lounge to run First Person Shooters at 4K 60FPS on my OLED 77”

I’m out the loop….

Can someone spec me a Cheapish GPU for this one purpose…

cheers

Last edited:
I got the sapphire nitro + 7800XT for Christmas I must say I'm well impressed with it. I'm gaming at 5120x1440p not quite 4K but close, but it also shines at 4K too. I also own a 4090 in my other pc but the 7800xt feels just as good so far.

You'd be best off with something like a 7900xt or 4070ti SUPER to make sure FPS doesn't drop below 60 and to have enough VRAM (min 16gb) for 4k.
Also keep in mind that the games will require more from the GPU for the same FPS in the future. So having a bit more performance will help to futureproof.
E.g. that new Avatar game, only 4090s can reliably get 60fps at 4k. There will only be more games like this as time goes on.

You'd be best off with something like a 7900xt or 4070ti SUPER to make sure FPS doesn't drop below 60 and to have enough VRAM (min 16gb) for 4k.
Also keep in mind that the games will require more from the GPU for the same FPS in the future. So having a bit more performance will help to futureproof.
E.g. that new Avatar game, only 4090s can reliably get 60fps at 4k. There will only be more games like this as time goes on.

You don't need 16gb vram minimum for 4k 60 at all. My 3080ti easily gets over 60fps in Avatar and everything else I've thrown at it. Only exception is particularly heavy ray tracing in certain games (like alan wake 2) which you can simply lower those settings.

79XTX Avatar on mixed settings @4K QD-Oled but it's still the best looking game I've ever played.

First area:

The Plains have hit the fps quite hard compared to the first area of the game:

AFOP.png

Have to agree, like buying a new Ferrari and then fitting it with some crappy part-worn tyres :D

I'd say 7800XT should cover you.
I bought a PS5 Slim to go with it which is great. Spider-Man looks amazing I can manage and enjoy driving games.Slowish third person games like RDR2 and The Last of us and platform and fighting but I can’t use the controller for FPS. So thought I’d build a pc for First Person shooter games.

Last edited:
My 6800xt isnt too shabby 4k@120hz

Happily plays Asassins creed odessy native, and Jedi survivor with FSR2 enabled.. I dont use FSR2 much as the implimentation can be a bit sketchy in some games, but is good in jedi survivor.
Cyberpunk I have to drop down to 1440p though (on an OLED TV, though so it scales down nicely)

My 6800xt isnt too shabby 4k@120hz

Happily plays Asassins creed odessy native, and Jedi survivor with FSR2 enabled.. I dont use FSR2 much as the implimentation can be a bit sketchy in some games, but is good in jedi survivor.
Cyberpunk I have to drop down to 1440p though (on an OLED TV, though so it scales down nicely)

I ran at 1440p only for a long time as I thought I would have to compronise too much with graphics settings @4k, and whilst you do have to be realistic with some games, it copes very well and a lot of games i can run at max or pretty much max nice and smoothly.

I got the sapphire nitro + 7800XT for Christmas I must say I'm well impressed with it. I'm gaming at 5120x1440p not quite 4K but close, but it also shines at 4K too. I also own a 4090 in my other pc but the 7800xt feels just as good so far.
nice to hear - looking to get a 7800xt myself here

Back
Top Bottom