• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Soldato
I mean if i was a rabid Nvidia fanboy and this was an AMD problem what i would probably do is say that its all AMD fault for being incompetent and throw in some accusations of irresponsibility for dramatic effect, like a lot of Tech Journalists did when we had the utter nothing burger of RX 460's pulling 80 watts through the 75 watt PCIe.

Where are they now? Silent and invisible....

But outside of clown world that's not what is going on even here, but i do think there is a problem. Unlike with the RX 460.

Jay has already put out a video. Jay takes no prisoners on this topic c he loves posting videos about GPU failures and has done it each time there is a failure regardless of brand, he was the first person to make a video about the dead evga 3090 cards playing that new world game and dead 3090 cards from the pop caps saga.

And this story is already in Mainstream media https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/25/23422349/nvidia-rtx-4090-power-cables-connectors-melting-burning

You just aren't looking. No need to carry that whataboutism chip

Last edited:
Caporegime
I expect quite a few of the people here reach that sort of number with their own systems
why would you need to unplug your gpu 40x? even if you do the tim and clean everything thats once every 2 years unless you live in a crap hole with loads of dust

Associate
why would you need to unplug your gpu 40x? even if you do the tim and clean everything thats once every 2 years unless you live in a crap hole with loads of dust
This is "overclockers" - it's full of people who spend a lot of time tweaking stuff. Replacing TIM, draining a custom loop, replacing worn fans, getting to the M.2 slot that's impossible to reach otherwise, re-routing cables, all kinds of modding of the card itself. There are plenty of reasons to unplug a cable.

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
Jay has already put out a video. Jay takes no prisoners on this topic c he loves posting videos about GPU failures and has done it each time there is a failure regardless of brand, he was the first person to make a video about the dead evga 3090 cards playing that new world game and dead 3090 cards from the pop caps saga.

And this story is already in Mainstream media https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/25/23422349/nvidia-rtx-4090-power-cables-connectors-melting-burning

You just aren't looking. No need to carry that whataboutism chip

I do know about Jayz Video, i have mentioned it before :)

Associate
The fact that CableMod put out a PSA about not bending them until you are 35mm out makes me feel there's an issue that CableMod has been able to reproduce

w9zX0fzgT1ufKTje.jpg
Could be true or could be scaremongering to get people to buy their right angle connectors.

Last edited:
Associate
And in case brand is a factor, the guys at Hardware lux have got their hands on a FE Nvidia FE adaptor, Asus adaptor, Gigabyte and also a couple Be Quiet 16 pin cables and on the Be Quiet cables as soon as they bent the cable one of the pins popped straight out of their socket lmao

******* ouch :D

Could be true or could be scaremongering to get people to buy their right angle
Connectors.

PCI-SIG is the entity that decides the standards for these kinds of things and even they said there's an issue so....yeah not scaremongering I think

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't disagree, but...

Changing M2.

1. GPU out to undo mb faceplate, which needs out to access M2 heatsinks-(thanks Asus),back in to clone.
2. GPU out to swap M2, back in.

Optional.

3. Changing heatpads.
4. You made it worse so change heat pads again.
5. It's still worse, panic sets in.
6. Someone mentions better sized heatpads go back to step 3.

Last edited:
Associate
Random question from a tech ignoramus... the 4090 AIBs are divided between those that come with a 3x 8-pin adapter and those that come with a 4x 8-pin. The problems so far seem to be with the 4x cards. Coincidence or correlation?

Associate
Its looking like quality of the actual cables is a factor regardless of if its 3x or 4x 8pin, the 4th 8pin is simply to enable overclocking and isnt actually needed. The issue is more to do with the quality of the pins inside the cable and how easy it is for them to break out of place after the cable being is as demonstrated by the bequiet cable in Grim5's post

Last edited:
Soldato
1. Why do all these models have the power connector coming out of the side of the gpu at right angles rather than being angled or including adapters to make it easier to fit the cables in average sized cases.
Anything to save a buck probably :p

Even with adaptors there would still likely be some bend with PCB size limiting its position. Gigabyte tried an extension on at least some of their 3080 cards from the PCB to outside edge of cooler but it was janky at best and had problems with earlier iterations. Maybe they should have just slapped 4x8pin PCIE connectors on there :p

Associate
Definitely a bit nervous, then. I absolutely do not have 3cm before my cable bends... 1cm at most. Only way I could get 3cm would be by taking the side off my case or changing the laws of physics.

Been giving my Inno3D X3 a pretty hard workout since it arrived with no problems, but stuff catching fire... yikes.

Soldato
Definitely a bit nervous, then. I absolutely do not have 3cm before my cable bends... 1cm at most. Only way I could get 3cm would be by taking the side off my case or changing the laws of physics.

Been giving my Inno3D X3 a pretty hard workout since it arrived with no problems, but stuff catching fire... yikes.
Not to give you the fear:p but J2c said he's shelving the unused but bent on camera power pin.

Caporegime
Random question from a tech ignoramus... the 4090 AIBs are divided between those that come with a 3x 8-pin adapter and those that come with a 4x 8-pin. The problems so far seem to be with the 4x cards. Coincidence or correlation?
it does? theres only one person who had a melted power connector outside johnnyguru? and johnny is likely abusing them on purpose for his job

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom