Cheltenham Festival 2006

Soldato
afraid I know nothing about betting, but put a bit of a dabble on for the Gold cup....
4 bets...

Beef or Salmon - EW - 11/2
Celeestial Gold - EW - 9/1
Turnium - EW - 1000/1
Astonville - EW - 1000/1

system was to pick the horse with the best odds, another one near the top, then the 2 worst...

lets see how it goes :D

Soldato
el_dazza said:
Nutter. :p
If astonville wins i'll pay you out myself. If its form is anything like the footy teams it might as well be shot

lol :p

the way I see it, it was the left over money from my poker win last week, worth a giggle :)

Soldato
Tomorrows all ready here:

25p E/W Trixie's permed = £24 on the following: -
14:00
Afsoun 5's
Blazing Bailey 16's
Fair Along 33's

15:15
War Of Attrition 8's
Monkerhostin 5's

16:40
Sharp Rigging 16's
Tiger Cry 7's

50p E/W SGL's and 5p E/W 5ACC permed = £10.20 on the following: -

14:00
Afsoun 5's
Blazing Bailey 16's
Fair Along 33's

14:35
6/1 Travino 6's

15:15
War Of Attrition 8's
Monkerhostin 5's

16:00
Telemoss 12's

16:40
Sharp Rigging 16's
Tiger Cry 7's

Total cost £34.20 tbh its a poo bet, but its more to keep me occupied all day, unless a 3 of those win, im probably not going to do much better than evens, 2 wins and a place would be good too i suppose.

But as i say, its paying to keep me entertained rather than win money :D. Busy day for me tomorrow + 12 hour shift :(.

Soldato
OP
Conanius said:
afraid I know nothing about betting, but put a bit of a dabble on for the Gold cup....
4 bets...

Beef or Salmon - EW - 11/2
Celeestial Gold - EW - 9/1
Turnium - EW - 1000/1
Astonville - EW - 1000/1

I wouldn't put you off the 1st two in your list but please don't waste your money on those other 2 donkeys. They both ran in the Champion Hurdle on Tuesday and were beaten after half a mile! Instead of doing them, put the money on Desert Quest in the 520.

Turko 200 EW Unplaced
Travino 235 EW3rd 6-1
Beef or Salmon 315 WinUnplaced
Harbour Pilot 400 WinPU
Sharp Rigging 440 EWUnplaced
Desert Quest 520 (nap) Win 1st 4-1

I hope no more horses are killed today. There have been 7 fatalities in the last 3 days. I fear for certain horses in the Gold Cup...fast ground, big field and strong pace. Lets hope i'm wrong! :(

Last edited:
Associate
Morning all,

Had a good day yesterday 2/4 of my horses came in yesterday made a nice earner.

My tip for the gold cup is...

Hedgehunter - 22-1 (he won the national and is looking good) Worth a fiver at least.

And also

Celestial Gold at 21-1.

Good luck all and hope you all win something today. If my friend lets me in on any tips i will let you know, his friend is a trainer. He let me in on the two yesterday and they both came in. :)

Man of Honour
I was really surprisd to find out that 5 horses were destroyed yestreday making seven overall for the festival. Quite shocking really, at least the price of kebabs will drop in Cheltenham I suppose.

Soldato
can anyone explain how e/w bets pay out? i'm completely clueless but stuck a fiver on hedgehunter (2nd in the main event) and won 32.50 back with odds of 14/1 i think. how do you get to that figure? :o

cheers.... :)

Soldato
OP
fozzybear said:
I wouldn't put you off the 1st two in your list but please don't waste your money on those other 2 donkeys. They both ran in the Champion Hurdle on Tuesday and were beaten after half a mile! Instead of doing them, put the money on Desert Quest in the 520.

Desert Quest 520 (nap) Win 1st 4-1

I hope no more horses are killed today. There have been 7 fatalities in the last 3 days. I fear for certain horses in the Gold Cup...fast ground, big field and strong pace. Lets hope i'm wrong! :(

They both rightly ended up as non-runners. Hope you took my advive and invested on Desert Quest. I had a slow start to the week but 14-1 and 4-1 winners as well as a few winning EW bets made me just about level for the week.

The only down side is that there have been a total of 9 horses killed over the 4 days. :(

Soldato
OP
marc2003 said:
can anyone explain how e/w bets pay out? i'm completely clueless but stuck a fiver on hedgehunter (2nd in the main event) and won 32.50 back with odds of 14/1 i think. how do you get to that figure? :o

cheers.... :)

You shouldn't have got £32.50 back for a 14-1 2nd. :confused:

For a place in the Gold Cup you should have got a fifth of the odds. £5 EW on Hedgehunter @14-1 should have got you £19 back. If your bookmaker was generous then you may have got one quarter the odds for a place. This would mean that you would get £22.50 back.

Quite how they got the winnings as £32.50 i've no idea! :confused:

Soldato
fozzybear said:
You shouldn't have got £32.50 back for a 14-1 2nd. :confused:

For a place in the Gold Cup you should have got a fifth of the odds. £5 EW on Hedgehunter @14-1 should have got you £19 back. If your bookmaker was generous then you may have got one quarter the odds for a place. This would mean that you would get £22.50 back.

Quite how they got the winnings as £32.50 i've no idea! :confused:

ah i see..... 14/1 with my £5 would have netted me 70 if i won. 1/5 of that is 14 plus my stake back = 19. i can see how you got there..... :D

but the funny thing is, as i went to collect my winnings, there was a discrepency over my slip (bookies fault), and i told a guy next to me that i had 5 e/w on hedgehunter and he immediately said i should get ~30 back..... :confused:

anyway, i'm up 20 notes so it can't be bad. :D

Soldato
OP
marc2003 said:
ah i see..... 14/1 with my £5 would have netted me 70 if i won. 1/5 of that is 14 plus my stake back = 19. i can see how you got there..... :D

but the funny thing is, as i went to collect my winnings, there was a discrepency over my slip (bookies fault), and i told a guy next to me that i had 5 e/w on hedgehunter and he immediately said i should get ~30 back..... :confused:

anyway, i'm up 20 notes so it can't be bad. :D

Yes, if Hedgehunter had won, you would have got another £70 (plus your £5 win stake back) on top of your EW winnings.

I actually divided the 14-1 by 5 and then mulitplied it by 5(£) and added your £5 stake. It seems to work your way as well.

What's the name of this bookies? I may back there in the future! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
fozzybear said:
Yes, if Hedgehunter had won, you would have got another £70 (plus your £5 win stake back) on top of your EW winnings.

What's the name of this bookies? I may back there in the future! :p

it was coral. not too sure if you should go there though. a mate of mine rang his missus from work and asked (begged :p) her to go place a bet for him. he fancied a 2quid e/w on iznogoud at 200-1. so off she went but they told her the horse was not running. this was well before the start. but it did run.... luckily it wasn't placed but imagine if it was. needless to say he's pretty ******* about it.... :eek:

twas a different branch from the one i used.

Soldato
Back from work, had a good day watching the horses :)

Returned ~£55 today, staked ~£35.

Gutted that telemoss didn't place would have had two 5 fold ACC going :( which would resulted in about £110 returns :( 4 out of 5 horses on two ACC's!

Back
Top Bottom