Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I said earlier in the thread but it’s worth reiterating.... anyone that’s worked in the power industry will be aware that 700MW (the target for the safety test) is already considered a massive amount of electricity (for reference that’s 100MW+ larger than the biggest gas fired power station is capable of) but it’s relatively tiny for a nuclear plant.

Now, the fact that it normally output at 3.2GW is already huge, then you factor in that it peaked at 33GW when it blew up. Mental.

There’s some good documentaries that on YouTube which cover the technical how and why that the HBO show did, but what I liked was the way they called the Soviet regime out on their denial. The official death toll for example is ludicrously low, even today.

Great mini series.

Soldato
Not related but the talk about the reactor during the trial reminded me of how I blew up my Minecraft FTB (modded Minecraft) base a few years ago. The size of the resulting crater when I returned home from a shopping trip was just ridiculous.

The pumps supplying water to my core were powered by a solar array and as night approached.... :o

The modeling dynamics of some of those MC mods are quite incredible.

Soldato
Is anyone else amazed at how the firemans wife survived and went on to have another family? The body can be so resilient and delicate at the same time. Think that line was the only smile the entire series gave me. That and the head of the miners.

Soldato
Been watching about the Windscale fire on YouTube , not as bad as Chernobyl but some of the west Cumbrian people there are disfigured , have skin problems and suffer mental problems

And then they had a nuclear incident !

Bdmmm Tshhh!

I’m here all day
I was thinking today, it would be cool if the team who made this followed up with series on Windscale and Three Mile Island :)

Soldato
Couple of random notes people may find interesting. There are currently still ten RBMK reactors still running today out of the seventeen originally completed out of the twenty six originally planned (obviously they don't have graphite tips). Any reactors being built outside of Russia were cancelled following Chernobyl (including the 5th and 6th reactors at Chernobyl obviously) but construction on reactors being built in Russia continued until funding became untenable, one of them wasn't cancelled until 2012. Two of the power plants that originally used RMBK reactors are scheduled to have those reactors shut down by the 2030s but new VVER reactors are being brought online at those plants to replace them (Russia is still very invested in nuclear power).

As a final (somewhat harrowing) note, if it hadn't been for Dyatlov's complete arrogance/stupidity then today there would be 30+ RMBK reactors operating across the former USSR, some twice as big as the one at Chernobyl, all with graphite tips.

Caporegime
Absolutely brilliant series from start to finish. The trial was done well and really explained what happened in a way that was easy to understand. As obnoxious and reckless Dyatlov was, he’d have never done what he did if he wasn’t being duped by the state either. I actually think the 10 years hard labour they got was pretty strong. But then I suppose the truth didn’t come out of the trial, so they copped the blame for everything.

Also had a feeling Ludmilla was a made up character. Surprised to see that she was real and after all the radiation exposure, she had a child and both are still alive and well.

The end was extremely poignant too. Really hit home how horrific and tragic the whole thing was.

All in all, excellent from HBO. Easy 10/10.

Soldato
Don't be so hard on Dyatlov, he was just distracted thinking about 'females' :D

I thought the final episode would be dry and dull but IMO it was one of the most harrowing. The explanation of why the rector exploded was brilliantly done.

Caporegime
Absolutely brilliant series from start to finish. The trial was done well and really explained what happened in a way that was easy to understand. As obnoxious and reckless Dyatlov was, he’d have never done what he did if he wasn’t being duped by the state either. I actually think the 10 years hard labour they got was pretty strong. But then I suppose the truth didn’t come out of the trial, so they copped the blame for everything.

Also had a feeling Ludmilla was a made up character. Surprised to see that she was real and after all the radiation exposure, she had a child and both are still alive and well.

The end was extremely poignant too. Really hit home how horrific and tragic the whole thing was.

All in all, excellent from HBO. Easy 10/10.
LMAOOOOOO I have to admit I thought it was 4 episodes (it was all I saw when I acquired it) so thought I had seen it all. I thought it ended a bit suddenly but now I realise there is a 5th I have to watch. :o:o:o :D

Caporegime
Really enjoyed it from start to finish. I hope HBO make more mini series like this, as i'm sure there are plenty of other 'disasters' that would be interesting to see (semi) dramatised.

Back
Top Bottom