Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Soldato
Really enjoying this series, it's a fascinating story and the cast is great.
Those hospital scenes were grim, in their position you'd be begging for mercy from someone with a gun.

Soldato
Episode 3 is one of the best of any tv show.

The miners gave me a chuckle :D
Yeah I really liked them. You could not pool the wool over their eyes at all, he knew what was up from the get go. That "I don't know" really annoyed me though. Both my girlfriend and I let out some foul language when we saw the hospital scenes. Both for not listening and for how grim it all looked.

Brilliant show so far

Soldato
watched the first episode last night

wow this is a special program - really. really good

The horror of seeing those people exposing themselves so fatally, the firefighter with the graphite, the guy holding the door open, the guys looking at the exposed core, terrifying stuff

Soldato
It is only 4 episodes though right?

Makeup poeple deserve an award for the 3rd show, I figured they would have to show the reality of what it did to them. And to think that still just what they can show on tv.

The Miners getting royaly shafted as well.

The frustration in the main character is so well done, everyone watching feels as annoyed.

Im not sure I get the relevance of the safety switch thing not working. Does that elude that there is a inherent design fault or something?

smr

smr

Soldato
It is only 4 episodes though right?

Makeup poeple deserve an award for the 3rd show, I figured they would have to show the reality of what it did to them. And to think that still just what they can show on tv.

The Miners getting royaly shafted as well.

The frustration in the main character is so well done, everyone watching feels as annoyed.

Im not sure I get the relevance of the safety switch thing not working. Does that elude that there is a inherent design fault or something?

allude. I'm not sure on the answer to your question though.

V_R

V_R

Soldato

This explains it well.

http://www.chernobylgallery.com/chernobyl-disaster/cause/

At 1:23:40, as recorded by the SKALA centralised control system, an emergency shutdown of the reactor, which inadvertently triggered the explosion, was initiated. The SCRAM was started when the EPS-5 button (also known as the AZ-5 button) of the reactor emergency protection system was pressed: this fully inserted all control rods, including the manual control rods that had been withdrawn earlier. The reason why the EPS-5 button was pressed may never be known, whether it was done as an emergency measure or simply as a routine method of shutting down the reactor upon completion of the experiment.

There is a view that the SCRAM may have been ordered as a response to the unexpected rapid power increase, although there is no recorded data conclusively proving this. Some have suggested that the button was not pressed, and instead the signal was automatically produced by the emergency protection system; however, the SKALA clearly registered a manual SCRAM signal. In spite of this, the question as to when or even whether the EPS-5 button was pressed has been the subject of debate. There are assertions that the pressure was caused by the rapid power acceleration at the start, and allegations that the button was not pressed until the reactor began to self-destruct but others assert that it happened earlier and in calm conditions.

After the EPS-5 button was pressed, the insertion of control rods into the reactor core began. The control rod insertion mechanism moved the rods at 0.4 m/s, so that the rods took 18 to 20 seconds to travel the full height of the core, about 7 meters. A bigger problem was a flawed graphite-tip control rod design, which initially displaced coolant before inserting neutron-absorbing material to slow the reaction. As a result, the SCRAM actually increased the reaction rate in the lower half of the core.

A few seconds after the start of the SCRAM, a massive power spike occurred, the core overheated, and seconds later this overheating resulted in the initial explosion. Some of the fuel rods fractured, blocking the control rod columns and causing the control rods to become stuck at one-third insertion. Within three seconds the reactor output rose above 530 MW.

Back
Top Bottom