1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Participant, Apr 3, 2019.

1. cu3ed

Capodecina

2. V_R

Sgarrista

That seems to be the reason from what I understand and I've read, yes. I assume the show will explain it too?

3. cu3ed

Capodecina

Its just the scene where she is trying to find out what they did, and her reaction to it being pressed. To me it seemed like " my god, they pressed the button and it didn't even do anything", now reading above ,it seems pressing the button was the mistake.

4. physichull

Sgarrista

They are alluding to it right now, but its referring to the graphite tips on the control rods I believe. It may be explained fully in future episodes.

5. physichull

Sgarrista

It wasn't a mistake on the operators behalf per se, it was more a design flaw.

6. Vexr

Hitman

I'm not expecting a happy ending for the pregnant woman and her unborn child after getting all touchy-feely with her radioactive husband. Obvious nightmare birth defects scene to come, unless by some mercy she miscarries asap.

I'm actually surprised the show flinched from showing one of the irradiated patients. I believe he was only mentioned later on by Emily Watson's character saying "his face was gone", unless I blinked and missed it.

7. cu3ed

Capodecina

Yea, I think that was the same guy that was told to go to the roof and look down into the reactor?

8. Gee

Mobster

Her child died shortly after birth due to heart failure and cirrhosis of the liver.

Part 3 of the podcast is out!

9. Gee

Mobster

I don't think it was a design flaw. The two on shift at the time (Akimov & Toptunov) tried to abort the test when they saw the reactor power drop considerably, but Dyatlov overrode them. Pressing the AZ-5 button allows all 211 control rods to fall downward into the reactor, cooling water shoots in, and emergency pumps are turned on. If it was activated at the right time, it wouldn't have exploded.

In this case, the control rods were disconnected so their own weight would let them descend into the core, but they got stuck. This is when they noticed the cooling water & emergency pumps were not activated.

10. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Is this any good? Good reviews on IMDB!

11. tom_e

Man of Honour

Total rubbish...have you actually read the thread!?

12. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Nope. Just looked at IMDB.

9.6/10. 26k votes.

13. MrRockliffe

Mobster

1st episode in and I love it. Portrays the dark side of humanity and power of radioactivity incredibly well.

It's terrifying to see something I've studied for many years "in person".

14. V_R

Sgarrista

Total pants, that's why it is now the top rated show on IMDB. - https://www.imdb.com/chart/toptv

Seriously, you could have spent 10 seconds skimming this thread to fin your answer! :p

15. Dangerous Dave

Mobster

The RBMK reactor was unstable at low power output and had a major design flaw with the control rods as they were tipped with graphite and too short when removed they left water in the channels when the rods were reinserted they displaced the water resulting in an increase in local activity before the main boron section of the rod reduced activity which caused a surge in power that blew the top off it. The rod design was changed following the disaster along with a 50% increase in the number of rods and tested in the Ignalina nuclear power which is where the TV series is filmed as the layout is identical to Cybernobyl.

l would say human error was a major factor as you mention they had multiple opportunities to abort before it was a problem main one being the minimum power output of the reactor being at 700MW for the test to start instead they had this around 200MW

16. Colonel_Klinck

Hitman

Wow this really has been some fantastic TV. The makeup for Ep3 was incredible, they deserve every award going for that department. Its funny watching this part of history. I was 15 when it happened and the whole Cold War/USSR seems like a lifetime ago.

17. EVH

Don

It shouldn’t have been.

The design of the control rods was poor. They were tipped with graphite which actually increased the reaction temporarily when they were initially inserted.

Add to that an already out of control reaction and BOOM.

18. Yas786

Caporegime

Wow episode 3 was bit grim especially the part of the firefighter and his wife, truly heartbreaking along with the horrific effects of radiation.

Immense episode once again though but a bit stomach churning really.

19. JBuk

Capodecina

I had assumed some of the scenes were made up but after reading some of the actions from the main characters most of this program really happened , from the outright denial and disbelief by site managers that the reactor had exploded to the guy being ordered to actually look from the roof into the reactor site

I’m surprised most of those responsible got relatively light sentences

20. opethdisciple

Capodecina

I'm confused. Are you being sarcastic? :D

I skimmed the thread and mostly positive remarks.