Chilli recipe

Associate
Hi guys,

Got a couple of friends coming over for my birthday and I'd like to do a really authentic chilli con carne (if there is such a thing). I've taken a look at hestons perfect chilli and whilst it looks great the time required and the £200 cost put me off a little. If anyone can recommend a good recipe that would be great.

Thanks
B

Associate
You'll get an absolute ton of different answers to this one mate. My recipe:

1 kg Beef Mince
2 Medium White Onions, finely diced
1 Star Anise
400 g Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (blended)
400 g Beef Stock (stock pots will do)
6 Bay leaves
3 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Ground Mixed Chillis (Guajillo, Pasilla, Habanero, Ancho etc..)
400 g Mixed Beans (ASDA do a Mexican Bean mix which is good)
1 pack of minced Chives
One tbsp of Vanilla Paste
50 g Very Dark Chocolate

Brown mince thoroughly in veg oil. It's a sad indictment of the internet that when you Google 'Browned Mince', not a single picture shows mince that has been browned properly. You're looking for caramelisation throughtout, like the surface of a steak.

Remove mince, leaving oil in pan. Add a big chunk of butter then the onions and star anise. Sautee gently until golden. Remove Star Anise.

Return the mince to the pot, add everything but the beans, chives, vanilla, and chocolate and simmer for a couple of hours. You may need to add more water.

Add beans, chives, vanilla paste, and chocolate just prior to serving. Mixing well until chocolate has melted. Season with salt.

Measurements were just off the top of my head...I usually just wing it, so they may be incorrect!

Associate
The last time I made Chilli I used a recipe similar to the above but substituted tomato with a packet of toasted and pureed dried guajillo chillies and chipotle in Adobo. It worked really well and came out brick red.

Associate
Quick and easy adjust to taste,i usually bung in half a green chill and some sliced mushrooms.
CHILLI

1 tbsp oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 red pepper de seeded
2 garlic cloves
1 red chili chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
500g lean minced beef
½ pint good beef stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
125ml red wine
½ tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 x can red kidney beans

Method
In a pre-heated pan add the oil. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes then add the garlic, red pepper, chilli, paprika and cumin and ground coriander, stir, then leave it to cook for another 3 minutes. In a separate pan add the mince and cook for a good ten minutes until it starts to almost caramelise and go golden brown in colour. Add the wine and reduce by half, Add the onion and pepper mix to the mince. Then add the tomato puree, sugar, tinned tomatoes, marjoram, season and cook for 1 min, then pour over the stock. Cook for 20min, then add the drained and rinsed kidney beans and cook for a further 10min.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
As already mentioned so many recipes out there, one thing I always do if use a range of chillies, I like the heat to build, I'll always use dried smoked chilies, but when re hydrating they go in the stock, this way all the smokey goodness isn't lost!

Associate
Agreed, you'll get tons of really good answers on here.
Here's my go-to recipe though I tend to modify it depending on what I have in/what I remember.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yJ6_jS-6EIeLFhLOHdUsd2Zqu-OdLzMjQ-B0kLVhJiQ/edit?usp=sharing
This one, tried it myself and it tastes great. Side note is that it's even better when you give the recipe to someone else and they make it for you :D
Seriously though the shin offers a far nicer taste and texture to any beef mince out there :)

Soldato
Biggest thing I can say is try smoked paprika. Really makes a huge difference.

Chipotle flakes. Incredible smokey flavour.

As for tomatoes I tend to use less and simmer it for a long time to get rid of the water. Also consider stewing steak rather than mince if you fancy something a bit different. Can even add a little bacon too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I never bothered making chilli, I just used to grab an uncle bens jar or the like. Ate it for years quite happily until a few months back when my brother girlfriend, who is a good cook, made a home made one with all fresh ingredients.

Oh man, not to sound too much like a Guardian food critic, but it just burst alive in my mouth. Stronger, richer flavours, Good spice, beautifully thick sauce. Totally different altogether. I now cook my own.

Soldato
For whats its worth, my take on my goto chilli and all done in a cheap (£35) slow cooker.

1 onion coarsely grated
4 garlic cloves minced
3-4 chopped chillis (I use Aji Limon)
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp Smoke chipotle flakes
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp chilli powder
1 star anise
500g lean minced beef
1 can of good quality chopped tomatoes
1 can of kidney beans
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
Glass of red wine
2 tsp Green and Blacks Cocoa Powder
2 tsp Whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon of malt vinegar
A good slug of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce

Brown the mince in a pan and drain off any fat, literally throw it all in the slow cooker, add any water if needed, crank it to high and keep checking until its done and the sauce is the right thickness.

This is my go to most weeks and i cook it in big batches, filling the slow cooker and its never done me a disservice yet.

Man of Honour
I never bothered making chilli, I just used to grab an uncle bens jar or the like. Ate it for years quite happily until a few months back when my brother girlfriend, who is a good cook, made a home made one with all fresh ingredients.

Oh man, not to sound too much like a Guardian food critic, but it just burst alive in my mouth. Stronger, richer flavours, Good spice, beautifully thick sauce. Totally different altogether. I now cook my own.

Wow :eek:

Caporegime
Hi guys,

Got a couple of friends coming over for my birthday and I'd like to do a really authentic chilli con carne (if there is such a thing). I've taken a look at hestons perfect chilli and whilst it looks great the time required and the £200 cost put me off a little. If anyone can recommend a good recipe that would be great.

Thanks
B

Oh come on, a £200 chilli? While I respect Heston for his experiments that push the boundaries with food, for the rest of us that is simply pretentious and unnecessary nonsense.

a few months back when my brother girlfriend just burst alive in my mouth.

I bet he did... :eek:

You'll get an absolute ton of different answers to this one mate. My recipe:

1 kg Beef Mince
2 Medium White Onions, finely diced
1 Star Anise
400 g Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (blended)
400 g Beef Stock (stock pots will do)
6 Bay leaves
3 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Ground Mixed Chillis (Guajillo, Pasilla, Habanero, Ancho etc..)
400 g Mixed Beans (ASDA do a Mexican Bean mix which is good)
1 pack of minced Chives
One tbsp of Vanilla Paste
50 g Very Dark Chocolate

Brown mince thoroughly in veg oil. It's a sad indictment of the internet that when you Google 'Browned Mince', not a single picture shows mince that has been browned properly. You're looking for caramelisation throughtout, like the surface of a steak.

Remove mince, leaving oil in pan. Add a big chunk of butter then the onions and star anise. Sautee gently until golden. Remove Star Anise.

Return the mince to the pot, add everything but the beans, chives, vanilla, and chocolate and simmer for a couple of hours. You may need to add more water.

Add beans, chives, vanilla paste, and chocolate just prior to serving. Mixing well until chocolate has melted. Season with salt.

Measurements were just off the top of my head...I usually just wing it, so they may be incorrect!

Some good tips there and elsewhere in this thread, will be trying them next time for sure. :)

Associate
Here's my recipe to add to the mix

1 Ring Picante Chorizo
2 Red Onions
1 Kg Mince
Cumin
Cocoa Powder
Chilli Powder
2x Tins Chopped Tomatoes
1x Tin Kidney Beans

Rice

Chop the Onions and Chorizo, add to a pan with a small drizzle of oil.
Once the onions have softened add the mince and brown.
Once the mince is browned,
Add 3 level teaspoons of Cocoa powder
Add 3 heaped teaspoons of ground cumin
Add 3 level teaspoons of Chilli powder (Adjust for heat preference)
Add the two tins of chopped tomatoes and the tin of kidney beans.
Then add two can's worth of water, stir and put the pot on to simmer for as long as possible.
When serving the rice add a splash or two of lime juice to pep it up, you can also add some chopped fresh coriander to the rice as well.
Enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom