Poll: Chinese Grand Prix 2018, Shanghai - Race 3/21

Rate the 2018 Chinese Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
I don't understand how people can rate that race as poor? I wonder if a race is rated as poor if it's not a good weekend for your favourite driver?

Of course it is, hence my sarcastic post above about 10/10, people on the previous page were posting it wasn’t good becaus Vettel didn’t finish even lower, and because of the circle jerk for Hamilton here nobody says anything.

I’m just glad we got an entertaining race for once and had an unexpected result.

For that I give it a real 10/10

Soldato
Max didn't have any potential chance to overtake exactly there - the gap was too wide and he caused an amateur collision.

Not saying it wasn't max fault, just there was a gap, split second decision, go for it. if it had come off everyone would have been saying it was a great overtake. similar to how far Ricciardo came from to take Hamilton.

Permabanned
I give it 2/10 because:

- Not enough overtakes - thus poor procession almost the entire race;
- Poor Race Control decisions - safety car was released at the wrong moment, costing the race for Bottas and Vettel - they didn't have a chance for pitstop because they were already on the home straight;
- Poor Race Control decisions regarding Max;
- Poor decisions by Ferrari and Mercedes regarding their tyres choice, thus making the race difficult to watch.

Soldato
I give it 2/10 because:

- Not enough overtakes - thus poor procession almost the entire race;
- Poor Race Control decisions - safety car was released at the wrong moment, costing the race for Bottas and Vettel - they didn't have a chance for pitstop because they were already on the home straight;
- Poor Race Control decisions regarding Max;
- Poor decisions by Ferrari and Mercedes regarding their tyres choice, thus making the race difficult to watch.

Lol sorry but the race director deploying the safety car without looking at where everyone is on the grid is definitely the right thing to do. It played into red bulls favour this time and made for an interesting race. Ferrari strategy aside from that was not good, they waited too long for the first pit stop, should have come in the lap after Bottas made the first stop.

Caporegime

Race control aren't there to trigger the safety car at a time convenient to the other racers.

Poor Race Control decisions regarding Max;

How so? 10 seconds was the appropriate penalty for "causing a collision". Again, penalties are set according to the rules, not to try and control the race.

Doesn't this contradict your second point? If they couldn't pit because of timing, it wasn't a poor decision. Also, IMO, tactical errors such as this make the race more watchable, it's part of F1 and it mixed things up and made them interesting.

Man of Honour
was hoping Sainz would get Vettel, one more lap and he would have.

Overall a great result for the championship. Bottas got a decent haul, Ham closed the gap a little and even Raikkonen catches up a little. Couldn’t be much better.

Caporegime
Not saying it wasn't max fault, just there was a gap, split second decision, go for it. if it had come off everyone would have been saying it was a great overtake. similar to how far Ricciardo came from to take Hamilton.

Yes, there's not much difference between a great overtake and a clumsy crash. The thing is that the better drivers make those calls correctly and hotheads like Max don't; we saw with Riccardo's overtake how easily the Red Bull on fresh tyres could breeze past the Ferraris. There was no need for Max to take on such a risky pass and certainly no need to botch it and hit Vettel. From a driver without a history of clumsy accidents compromising otherwise good races it'd be one things, but this is Max we're talking about.

Permabanned
Max making an ass out of himself again, what did Hamilton call him last week? :D

Ricciardo showing him how it should be done, good drive from him but it was all down the fresher tyres, safety car made an incredibly boring race somewhat interesting.

Caporegime
Mercedes need to up their strategy game.

Mercedes strategy got Bottas past Vettel. Not so bad. The timing of the safety car meant they had just passed the pitlane and so would have lost more time to dive in and get tyres. In my view, they should have got split strategy at that point, probably pitting Lewis but not Bottas but I can see why they decided against pitting, it would have lost them places on track.

Transmission breaker
Don
You really can't please some people!

Max's attempt on Vettel was purely down to the fact he thought Vettel had missed the corner and was going to wash out on his old tyres. Brundle saw what was happening. Had it been wheel to wheel contact it wouod probably been fine and let go by the stewards. Iirc Vettel did look like he turned in a little late and Max just went for it.
Ric got lucky with that overtake on Bottas. It had accident written all over it. Still, you roll the dice!

I have said it before, waiting for a safety car to allow a contrary strategy is not just luck. Its a sensible strategy when you need another option. China is a fairly reliable safety car circuit, today it went their way.

Its all part of F1, if you don't like it, you are watching the wrong sport...

Today was a great race for the sport, mistakes, gambling, intreague, ballsy overtakes and a contrary strategy won the day (again).

Soldato
Of course it is, hence my sarcastic post above about 10/10, people on the previous page were posting it wasn’t good becaus Vettel didn’t finish even lower, and because of the circle jerk for Hamilton here nobody says anything.

I’m just glad we got an entertaining race for once and had an unexpected result.

For that I give it a real 10/10
last weeks race was also entertaining

Back
Top Bottom