Christmas Tv has technology and the feminism movement ruined it for the rest of us?

Man of Honour
So times, beliefs and prejudices never change over time? Should we be having a remake of 60’s comedies complete with racist, sexist and misogynistic jokes left right and centre? Of course not. Such is the logical progression of life.

To be fair, I wouldnt mind some of those jokes returning..

Fawlty Towers was riddled with racist jokes for example, particularly around Manuel and of course the famous Dont mention the war episode, but even today when I watch them I find them hilarious.
Monty Python has widespread jokes that today would be considered racist, sexist and a mass of other -ists, but I still find them hilarious when I watch them now.
I still find It Aint Half Hot Mum and MASH funny, even though both have multiple -ism gags in them.
I still laugh myself silly at The Young Ones and Bottom, despite both of those having many many jokes which today may be considered sexist and homophobic.
In the land of Movies, Blazing Saddles is hilarious to me still even though its anti-racism jokes may well actually be considered racist today. Airplane and Airplane 2 both still have me rolling with laughter, though today its racist and misogynistic jokes would be considered a big no-no.

I could go on and list probably a few hundred other examples of past acceptable humour that I still find massively funny. Maybe that just means that its me who hasnt changed over time, perhaps to be a moralistically correct person I really should have developed more and no longer find the jokes in the above funny, but I cannot help but laugh at the jokes..I simply find them hilarious rather than offensive.

Man of Honour
The 'Dont mention the war' joke isn't "racist"

It's more a ****-take of Basil's xenophobia.

Well I agree, I dont think its racist either, just as many of the racist jokes in Blazing Saddles are actually commentaries on societal racism rather than racist, but there are many out there today who would say that the Dont Mention the War episode is racist (and of course will also say that the show as a whole contains continued racism against Manuels heritage).

I could go on and list probably a few hundred other examples of past acceptable humour that I still find massively funny. Maybe that just means that its me who hasnt changed over time, perhaps to be a moralistically correct person I really should have developed more and no longer find the jokes in the above funny, but I cannot help but laugh at the jokes..I simply find them hilarious rather than offensive.

Good post and debate there about the -isms. While I still like the shows and films that you mentioned, I think some of them have aged badly, especially the Blazing Saddles example.

Where do you stand with the Carry-On films? I used to love those, especially the more slapstick ones where people are chasing each other like in "Don't Lose Your Head", but I can't help thinking that some of them have aged badly on the sexism front.

Man of Honour
Good post and debate there about the -isms. While I still like the shows and films that you mentioned, I think some of them have aged badly, especially the Blazing Saddles example.

Where do you stand with the Carry-On films? I used to love those, especially the more slapstick ones where people are chasing each other like in "Don't Lose Your Head", but I can't help thinking that some of them have aged badly on the sexism front.

Well see now thats another set of , lets face it...classic British humour films, which today would be considered exceptionally sexist/misogynistic. Another good example would be things like The Two Ronnies, very funny, some superb sketches but today both of them would be vilified for their sexist shows (Morecombe and Wise also to a degree). Yet I still find all of those funny. Whether that indicates that I am out of touch and am inherently sexist/racist/misogynistic/any-other-ist, or whether it indicates that I see it as comedic rather than offensive, I leave to the readers to decide. To me, The Two Ronnies, Carry On films and Morecombe and Wise are superb institutions of our cultures comedy and still hilarious today, for some though they will all be heinous and disgusting because of their content.

Permabanned
OP
have you noticed that things are only sexist from a female point of view where as female to male sexism doesn't exist. suppose it's the same mentality as blacks just cannot be racist?

Man of Honour
Black people, not "blacks"

Of course female to male sexism exists...seen any diet coke ads recently featuring men being treated as meat? Didn't think so.

Or if you have ever listened to a group of women talking about rugby where the conversation of the sport lasts 10 seconds and is rapidly replaced by conversation of how hunky the various rugby players are, yet there seems to be no such thing as male objectification.

(you can witness this same female discussion lately anytime you get a group of them talking about Jason Momoa or Robb Stark/Jon Snow)

Caporegime
My point was, that diet coke ads featuring half naked hunky men wouldn't be socially acceptable anymore either (hence you don't see them on TV anymore), so it does work both ways.

Man of Honour
My point was, that diet coke ads featuring half naked hunky men wouldn't be socially acceptable anymore either (hence you don't see them on TV anymore), so it does work both ways.

Mind you, I thought that coke had just recently (this year or last) had an advert with the half naked man being a pool cleaner and just changed the advert so that it was both a woman and a (presumably) gay man racing each other to be the first to give him a coke?

Im sure I remember that, unless I dreamt it.

EDIT : ahh yeah, here we go, last year, so still doing the advert, just with an added gay twist.

Soldato
Aren't coke still backing Ronaldo though, what's happening on that ?, so they like edgy adds.

Rules don't seem to apply for the (UK) perfume adds, with either -
the new add with the (size 0??) women nearly getting out of pool and gold negligee, seemed to be like a non-PC hareem too - but you don't see Ceaser
or, for balance, there is the male one with the (hareem again??) women swooning through the double mirror.
... what is the proportion of men/women buying female perfumes though ?

I think the 'de-masculating' Money Saving supermarket adds, that moved onto dolls Barby/action-man, are still ridiculous, but, if that's Martin Lewis' thing.

Caporegime
Aren't coke still backing Ronaldo though, what's happening on that ?, so they like edgy adds.

Rules don't seem to apply for the (UK) perfume adds, with either -
the new add with the (size 0??) women nearly getting out of pool and gold negligee, seemed to be like a non-PC hareem too - but you don't see Ceaser
or, for balance, there is the male one with the (hareem again??) women swooning through the double mirror.
... what is the proportion of men/women buying female perfumes though ?

I think the 'de-masculating' Money Saving supermarket adds, that moved onto dolls Barby/action-man, are still ridiculous, but, if that's Martin Lewis' thing.
Martin Lewis is money saving expert, not money supermarket.

Soldato
It was a joke .. their branding/products lack distinction though, and with the attention I pay to adverts, I put them both in the same dustbin.
- I'll use a smiley next time.

Back
Top Bottom