Cities: Skylines

I had a play last night, first city I did was terrible as I just plopped stuff down everywhere to see what happened.

Next city I have only got to about 8k population... I think (just unlocked dense res etc), quite enjoyed it but it seems a little slower than I remember SC4 being. Watching the graphs for RCI needs I was always on top of it but it still took an hour or so to get to 8k...

I did learn a few things though which I will make sure I do next time.

Also I'm not sure if this was by design, but at the start of the game it took a little while to get even 1 resident even though I seemed to have everything.

Found the zoning thing a little funny to get used to after SC's more free form approach which raises a question... What is the biggest building that will build 4x4 tiles or bigger? It seemed a little fiddly at times getting zones to line up exactly in some cases there was a slight sliver of non zoned area in between, not sure if this is an issue?

Final question lol... When I'm placing roads sometimes the ends of roads seem like they should be completely level with each other but when I join them they're slightly tilted, s that normal?

So I purchased Cities: Skylines when it was first released, and then I started a small city and failed miserably. I then gave up, which was a silly thing to do because now that I've given it a proper chance (after a few more restarts mind you!) I am loving this game. The depth is amazing, it does things that Sim City couldn't even dream about, although to be frank Sim City is nowhere near what it was like when Maxis were creating it. Once EA got their hands on it, they destroyed the franchise, as they do with most things they have a hand in these days.

Anyway, I digress. My city is doing really well, I've shaped it into districts, reached over 50k citizens, and have spent ages sorting out the traffic management because I didn't know what I was doing when I started building the roads (I still barely do, it's so complex!) and I built everything in boxes. Now I'm learning how traffic chooses routes, although at times it still makes little sense and the things you see are boggling. Things like emergency services being stuck in a queue of traffic when there are five other lanes free, or even traffic just backing up in a single lane because they're all heading to the same area. If they're not going to use the other lanes, what's the point in having six or even eight lane roads to build? This happens frequently on the freeway as well. I've built two freeway links around my city, kinda of like a ring-road, but traffic just uses one lane on it most of the time. This resulted in a tailback on the freeway that's outside of my city because traffic was backing up as it entered my city zone. The same thing happens with trains. I built my first rail link the other night, and I was so happy to see outside trains coming in to drop cargo off, but the route is so long and now all I get is loads of trains just sitting in a queue. I've built areas that they can use to pass each other but I'm still waiting to see if they're effective yet because none have used it. I'm guessing that's because their path is pre-determined and they weren't aware of the extra track when the route was set for them. I'll have more of a play tonight!

But anyway, aside from these issues, I'm really enjoying the game. It's very relaxing but makes you think at the same time!

Last edited:
use the pathfinding mods. They help on traffic.
also regarding trains you need to apply the same logic as in real life or transport tycoon deluxe.
never build a station on top of your train route. Should be always on the side and if a train wants to use the station just switches to it or else continues forward it's path

So I purchased Cities: Skylines when it was first released, and then I started a small city and failed miserably. I then gave up, which was a silly thing to do because now that I've given it a proper chance (after a few more restarts mind you!) I am loving this game. The depth is amazing, it does things that Sim City couldn't even dream about, although to be frank Sim City is nowhere near what it was like when Maxis were creating it. Once EA got their hands on it, they destroyed the franchise, as they do with most things they have a hand in these days.

Anyway, I digress. My city is doing really well, I've shaped it into districts, reached over 50k citizens, and have spent ages sorting out the traffic management because I didn't know what I was doing when I started building the roads (I still barely do, it's so complex!) and I built everything in boxes. Now I'm learning how traffic chooses routes, although at times it still makes little sense and the things you see are boggling. Things like emergency services being stuck in a queue of traffic when there are five other lanes free, or even traffic just backing up in a single lane because they're all heading to the same area. If they're not going to use the other lanes, what's the point in having six or even eight lane roads to build? This happens frequently on the freeway as well. I've built two freeway links around my city, kinda of like a ring-road, but traffic just uses one lane on it most of the time. This resulted in a tailback on the freeway that's outside of my city because traffic was backing up as it entered my city zone. The same thing happens with trains. I built my first rail link the other night, and I was so happy to see outside trains coming in to drop cargo off, but the route is so long and now all I get is loads of trains just sitting in a queue. I've built areas that they can use to pass each other but I'm still waiting to see if they're effective yet because none have used it. I'm guessing that's because their path is pre-determined and they weren't aware of the extra track when the route was set for them. I'll have more of a play tonight!

But anyway, aside from these issues, I'm really enjoying the game. It's very relaxing but makes you think at the same time!

Could you post some pictures of your city?
Thanks!

also regarding trains you need to apply the same logic as in real life or transport tycoon deluxe.
never build a station on top of your train route. Should be always on the side and if a train wants to use the station just switches to it or else continues forward it's path

I installed one and in actual fact, I have an amusing story from when I was using it. I have a real time cycle setup in my game, so the world operates to a realistic cycle. When I was analysing the traffic issues, I followed a vehicle that left his house just before 9am to head to work. He then got stuck in traffic, and at 13:45 on the same day he was still stuck in the same queue of traffic. I then added insult to injury by demolishing the road he was queueing on, because I was trying to fix the issue, and he ended up turning around to find another way to his destination! Poor chap!

Could you post some pictures of your city?
Thanks!

Sure, I'll grab some tonight when I'm back at home!

Thanks for those tips, especially the pathfinding mods as I have found the same issue, they all just cram in one direction regardless of lanes or one ways so I gave up on this.

My city is currently at about 150k but I think it's time for a new one
549652736.jpg

I haven't really played this since the first couple of months of it launch, would anyone mind giving me a wee list of the best mods to be using?

Cheers.

So my favourite mods:
All Spaces Unlockable - So you can expand your city better
Enhanced Zoom Continued - Zooming out further is helpful and looks good
Network Extensions - I haven't used this just yet but looks very helpful
Ploppable RICO - Allows you to plop a lot of buildings down rather than grow them.
No Deathcare - You may like deathcare but I'm not a fan
Sharp textures - Makes things a bit sharper
Mod Achievement Enabler - Allows you to enable achievements with mods
Recycling Center & Large Recycling center - Better than incinerators and surprised these don't exist in vanilla
Automatic Bulldoze - Automatically gets rid of abandoned and burned buildings.
Better Bulldozer - Allows you to select an area to bulldoze

Wow, I didn't think there were that many!

I also have a lot of buildings mods.

So my favourite mods:
All Spaces Unlockable - So you can expand your city better
Enhanced Zoom Continued - Zooming out further is helpful and looks good
Network Extensions - I haven't used this just yet but looks very helpful
Ploppable RICO - Allows you to plop a lot of buildings down rather than grow them.
No Deathcare - You may like deathcare but I'm not a fan
Sharp textures - Makes things a bit sharper
Mod Achievement Enabler - Allows you to enable achievements with mods
Recycling Center & Large Recycling center - Better than incinerators and surprised these don't exist in vanilla
Automatic Bulldoze - Automatically gets rid of abandoned and burned buildings.
Better Bulldozer - Allows you to select an area to bulldoze

Wow, I didn't think there were that many!

I also have a lot of buildings mods.

I'm using pretty much the same, although I also use the Traffic Report Tool to see where vehicles are going. I also have cosmetic mods installed for buildings, and a few for vehicles (like the DeLorean, Tesla models and Toyota Supras) and one for the Tesla Gigafactory. I'm yet to build it though as it costs 1 million to build, but it does generate 1400MW of solar electricity!

Not played this since it first came out and would like to get into it. Quite overwhelmed now with the amount of mods for it and how to get started. It's the pretty videos on YouTube that have roped me back in to it :p.

I only have the vanilla version, no DLC either. Some people's games on YouTube look very realistic too, better trees. Must be a mod I guess.

I've got about 100hrs in the game.

I love it however I really struggle with starting a new city - i'm never happy with my initial layout!! I don't think i've had a city about 20k yet :o

A game greatly underrated. Not played it as much as I'd like but now have all the expansion packs so needs re looking at. Requires a beefy cpu to play it at its best though.

Do you really need all the DLCs/expansions to really play this at the beginning or could I just start off with the vanilla?

Grab the free DLC because, well, they're free! & having a football team is kind of fun. Paid for DLC wise I'd recommend just Mass Transit & After Dark to experience the best gameplay. As for the rest, imho you can safely skip it.

Back
Top Bottom