Cities: Skylines

Having watched a few videos Green Cities looks more fun then I thought it would be. A lot of variety in the new buildings and I've seen a few very distinct districts and neighbourhoods created.

Looking forward to seeing what creations people come up with the new Road modding tool. I had a quick look but was totally out of my depth in terms of creating the textures/models needed. Really hoping to see some roads with dedicated turning lanes. This is the only road type I'm missing in my road layout hierarchy.

Just started my first Snow map the other week, unfortunately it seems to of broken with the new patch. Only running a few mods so hopefully they will get updated soon and I'll be able to continue.

Need to get myself a new CPU too. Finished my biggest city yet 154k at the end of August. I was planning to go a lot higher on the population but sadly my CPU was pegged back at 100% causing some weirdness with vehicles stopping on roads etc.

BD1D5FABD217A4A9BDE06E4ED543B762CB1989AD

C99AC7C8D850538C9849BF246C81F5944F282FEE

FFF79D2CEBA596764D3C14F507B68C95631D980D

40024F063BAF9FB0CC7EE8FA825CA0B5DF63F354

It's lightyears ahead of Sim City. Get it, you won't be disappointed.

Watch a few videos on YouTube.

TBH I don’t know why I have never bought it I suppose I just didn’t want another disappointing city building game. What’s traffic AI/ management like as that’s a stumbling block usually?

TBH I don’t know why I have never bought it I suppose I just didn’t want another disappointing city building game. What’s traffic AI/ management like as that’s a stumbling block usually?

Traffic isn't that great and it can become tedious if you do not route traffic properly. Avoid using traffic lights if you can as that usually makes things worse. There are mods to make it better though, you need to focus on well designed layouts to get the best out of it.

Traffic isn't that great and it can become tedious if you do not route traffic properly. Avoid using traffic lights if you can as that usually makes things worse. There are mods to make it better though, you need to focus on well designed layouts to get the best out of it.

Cheers for the tips mate think I will watch a few videos like you say and probably purchase it

I remember being interested in this back when it first came out, I think it was like 60 quid which I couldn't afford at the time. Just bought the entire bundle with all DLCs for 33 quid. Was always a massive SimCity fan, hopefully, this scratches the itch ;)

The base game is fully functional. You'll be able to build a huge city without running into artificial blocks forcing you to buy DLC to get the city you want.

There is a mind-boggling amount of free mods and assets on the Steam Workshop if you feel the need to enhance or extend your city.

The DLCs always come with a free patch containing new tools for designing your city, game engine improvements and some free new content. Meaning your city won't be left behind, you'll always be to continue without being forced to spend money.

The DLCs really compliment the game well. They are mostly based on a theme that's typically cosmetic with some new buildings to help keep your city running a little more smoothly.

I'd start with the base game while its on sale now. Then learn the basics of city building. Maybe dip into the Workshop for a mod or two. Then next time the DLCs are on sale, pick up one to support the excellent dev team and add a nice twist to your city.

My current city is based on the Snowfall DLC that I'm playing for the first time. The Winter theme is nice and trams are great. But I'd say After Dark and Mass Transit are the probably the most useful.

one more. The AI isnt the same as SC2013. In CS they live in the same house every day.
If you ever played Cities in Motion, you know that good quick public transport is must.

That means multiple interconnected short routes, doing their round very quickly. The AI is clever enough to move between transport methods going from A to B.

eg get Bus route A, stop on X stop to get bus on route B. then stop on X2 bus stop to walk few metres to get subway/train etc.

I'm still absolutely terrible at starting a new city, even after 80+ hours!

I just can't seem to decide how to start my city and usually end up forgetting about it when I reach around 10k population.

I'm still absolutely terrible at starting a new city, even after 80+ hours!

I just can't seem to decide how to start my city and usually end up forgetting about it when I reach around 10k population.

If you have watched the TV series Gotham and then saw one of my cities, especially when they get to around 200k, you would think of Gotham as being idyllic...! Mine are functional but look a mess, even functional is a relative term here :D

I have just short of 400 hours of playing and my cities still look carp.

Do you guys use unlimited money?

That's the only thing Sim city did decent, nobody could use unlimited money, Focussed on a balance of workers/industry/living standards!

I do wish Cities skylines had a competitive mode/rank system of money earned/city size/land value etc...... Otherwise its just a massive lego game.

Do you guys use unlimited money?

That's the only thing Sim city did decent, nobody could use unlimited money, Focussed on a balance of workers/industry/living standards!

I do wish Cities skylines had a competitive mode/rank system of money earned/city size/land value etc...... Otherwise its just a massive lego game.
My main city is hovering around 40,000 people at the moment and my money is as good as unlimited now. I'm swimming in it.

Saw this video today and thinking to uninstall Cities Skylines for good. After all those years, I am a useless noob playing this game. Better move playing tetris until the end of my days.

Btw does anyone has a clue what graphical mods he is using? because the game even on max doesn't look like that.

That city is astonishing. The most incredible detail!

You can check the mods he used in the video description.

Reading the comments he has 3000 hours on this city!

Back
Top Bottom