Citizen Gaming PC switches off playing demanding games

Associate
I bought this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...zen-5-2600-rx-590-8gb-graphics-fs-1aq-og.html

I selected the Vega 56, 16gb RAM and Ryzen 5 2600.

I unplugged all USB devices (except mouse and keyboard)
I completely uninstalled GPU drivers with DDU and reinstalled the latest drivers
I moved the computer further away from the wall
I turned off the heating in my room
I checked the GPU and CPU temperatures, they are normal

RDR2 consistently switches off my PC when entering certain towns and during certain missions at 1920x1080 60fps, but only sometimes at 3840x2160 30fps. Same thing with certain Gears 5 levels. It seems to occur after 15-30 minutes of playing. Older games rarely switch it off, if ever. No bluescreens, no shutting down screen. Just OFF.

I done all those things above individually and then all at once, and it still consistently switches off at certain more graphically intensive areas in newer games at higher FPS. What could be the issue? Could you guys suggest some more tests or something? It's pretty complicated to talk about on the phone and I'd rather get your thoughts here first.

Firstly can you confirm you've tried this at stock CPU and memory clock speeds?

Then I would check temperatures. Download MSI Afterburner or HWinfo and leave it running. Game a little then take a look at temperature logs. Graphs are useful as is the min/max data in HWinfo.

I'm certain it's stock speeds, I haven't overclocked anything at all. I walked into the area in RDR2 where it switched off at 2k 60fps and my CPU temperature was 72c and the GPU was 61c (MSIAfterburner). I tried Cinebench 4 times, the CPU went up to 76c and it didn't switch off. I tried Heaven bench twice, the GPU went up to 66c and it didn't switch off. But the town Rhodes in RDR2 switches off every single time at 2k 60fps (sometimes Valentine at night too) with those lower GPU and CPU temps. It never switches off at 4k 30fps.

I use Vsync in the games for locked 60, "half" refresh for locked 30. I'll try out HWinfo now. Any graphs I should look out for and maybe take a screenshot of?

It sounds like it is happening when the GPU is hitting absolute full load, probably as a result of a power supply issue. What power supply came with that PC?

I would say if you test it by limiting the framerate to 60fps, and run the game at low-medium settings (purely for testing purposes), you will find you will get no crashes. You don't get crashes in older games because the graphics card isn't getting stressed even at ultra settings.

It said an 850w PSU with the Vega 56 when I bought it. The page now says 1000w PSU... Maybe they put in a cheap one and I'll have to buy a proper one? The PSU is hidden in the case and I'll have to take it apart to check which one exactly. What's a good PSU that won't have these issues with my system? (Vega 56, ryzen 2600, 16gb RAM)

I'll do what you said and see how it goes. Will it damage my PC with it shutting off while testing? I'm surprised 4k at 30 has less issues.

The biggest risk is probably that your system disk will get corrupted during a crash.

It's not guaranteed to be the PSU- worth checking the brand and model before buying anything.

Also tey checking Windows event logs after a crash. Might tell you more such as power or thermal issues, or a driver crash.

It suggests to me that it's CPU related if it isn't shutting off when playing at a higher resolution, as there's mess stress on the CPU there. Also, 2560x1440 isn't 2K.

Why even use cheapo Kolink PSU's if they just cause problems?

Would imagine because it's one of their parent company's sub-brands, which makes them more profitable or keeps pre-built costs down and more attractive. If it weren't, they may not have been selling these anymore by now.

That said, Vega cards tend to need two separate cables from the PSU instead of one cable with two connectors. So that's something you could check. Although Spoffle could be onto something re: cpu/power to cpu related.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £89.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

Oh oh: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...shes-and-blue-screens.18850791/#post-32632053

Now I'm pretty certain it is the PSU. I only went by the reviews on the system's page before buying. I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask what I can do. Why even use cheapo Kolink PSU's if they just cause problems?

Can you suggest a good quality PSU for my system in the meantime? Thanks for your help
Don't rule out the PSU as a possible issue, however I had the same issues with an AMD 1700, and it turns out it was the CPU specifically. As soon as I swapped to a different CPU and board, all those issues went away.

Brought a Citizen PC last year, had the same issues as yourself. Went back to OCUK twice and crashing still occurred so asked for a refund.

I would say its the PSU.

While it's not guaranteed that cause is PSU, there's one thing which is 100% sure:
You don't get any even remotely OK 1000W or 850W PSU in that price PC.
It's guaranteed to be genuine low quality Chinese garbage in everything from design to component selection.
At best you can hope that it's not literal fire bomb.

And Vega is known from being very demanding on PSUs with its very spiky power draw.
Might be even that highest load with more continuous high draw is in certain aspects less demanding on PSU, while medium load causes higher power draw variation.
That also why you should use two completely separate PCIe power cables especially with Vega.

Back
Top Bottom