City Fibre

Associate
A week has passed still not heard anything from cityfibre or even no one on when they will be putting the job right.

The other thing is my father is almost ready to throw the router out the window the thing is awful cant even hold stable wireless the 5g side is useless even in same room it either wont connect or connects but states no internet.

Everyday issues on 2.4 side as well and it will show as having very good signal yet connection keeps cutting out (This is on all different types of devices)

Associate
A week has passed still not heard anything from cityfibre or even no one on when they will be putting the job right.

The other thing is my father is almost ready to throw the router out the window the thing is awful cant even hold stable wireless the 5g side is useless even in same room it either wont connect or connects but states no internet.

Everyday issues on 2.4 side as well and it will show as having very good signal yet connection keeps cutting out (This is on all different types of devices)
I'd contact no one about that router too. I am not getting that experience at all with it. :S

Associate
:pI should probably have had a read through this earlier but I ordered no one today.

CF went live in my area a few weeks ago. My issue was I need a land line for my elderly mother she uses the phone a fair bit. When my postcode went live on the CF site voda and talk talk were showing but their respective sites said it was unavailable.

Voda eventually updated and their prices were crazy. Still no sign of talk talk.

Saw some good things said about no one and they had a pretty good package. NO CGnat, offered telephone services.

I called them this morning and asked how many ports their router had and when she said 2 I mentioned I will get my own. If you use your own router they credit back £50 to your account.

Does anyone have suggestions of a decent ppoe & vlan router for between £100-200 ?

Might have been sales talk but apparently their £29 a month offer ends today so I caught it just in time if that happens to be the case.

:confused: I have to pay £260 to get out of my plusnet contract but going from barely 30mb to 900 it will be well worth it for me.

~cw

~cw

Associate
If you can stretch your budget a bit, the Ubiquiti UDM is ~£300, otherwise anything on OpenWRT's "recommended routers" wiki page is a good place to start.

Soldato
I was hoping leetline would send a different router, rather than their no one rougher but sadly it's the same one and only has 2 ethernet ports. Would I be okay using an ethernet switch/splitter and not notice and loss of speed/increased ping?

I'm kinda annoyed as the router picture they use is completely different to the router you actually receive.

Associate
So... It appears Cityfibre are now on my street and I am able to sign up to yayzi's 2Gb plan.. :D
Has anybody got any experience with their 2Gb plan? It's really tempting
I think you're best of looking at the CityFibre reddit, whenever I was looking, half the posts on there was about them. A lot of complaints about about them as an ISP, it seems like they're a small company who has bit off more than they can chew. There was some impression posts about the service itself being fine once you've gotten installed, but I guess it's whether you're lucky enough to get to that stage.

Soldato
I think you're best of looking at the CityFibre reddit, whenever I was looking, half the posts on there was about them. A lot of complaints about about them as an ISP, it seems like they're a small company who has bit off more than they can chew. There was some impression posts about the service itself being fine once you've gotten installed, but I guess it's whether you're lucky enough to get to that stage.

I'll take a look, cheers

Soldato

I see what you mean about people having install issues, but I still have 1gb Aquiss through Openreach so could overlap the service and not worry about problems during install.
Definitely tempted

Associate
I went from VM to Vodafone on City Fibre and it's been great. £29 for the 900 mbps connection, like Cyber-Mav, and it's a massive improvement over my £22 per month 125mbit VM connection.

Swapped the Voda router for my own Asus Gt-Ax11000 and it's been perfect since. Getting 946 down and 779 up using the speed test page on the router. Slight difference between the two but download is all I need. :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Since toob partnered with City, is this the thread for toob chat in future out of curiosity:p

No issues here, speedtest from ovh.net

UM3X95V.png

Not heard of this speedtest before, seems to align with ookla:

zK3wMj4.png

Last edited:
Associate
Had no-one 900/900 now since June and its been really stable for me. I always have to chuckle when I download something from Steam. I go from the ONT into an i3 6100T OPNSense box which handles the connection without issue. I'm teetering on Virtualizing the OPN, but it runs so well on the current box. I've not had any outages that I know of (unless they were when I was sleeping).

9zvNdXm.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom