City Fibre

Soldato
I'm looking to change to full fibre 900. Currently with Plusnet 36mb.

Vodafone put an offer through my door, also seen "No One" online offer at same price.

Anyone has experience with Vodafone full fibre? I've seen a few positive comments on "No One"

Can get £75 cashback with Quidco so more tempting if it's decent enough. (Voda)
I previously wrote

"I have vodafone 900/900 via cityfibre

The speed is always great except for steam which maxes out at 70-100MB/s whereas origin, battlenet, epic all hit 117MB/s. They don't use CGNAT and you can get a static IP for free.

Customer support is pretty terrible. They don't really assist beyond basic troubleshooting (reboot, use a wired connection etc.). Installation communication between them and cityfibre was terrible, wrong times given to myself and the installers. They did honour a broken referal by just crediting my account with the money.

Routing is also bad. I am in Edinburgh, there is a gateway in Edinburgh. My traffic all goes through Leeds. It's not too bad as most traffic goes/comes from that direction anyway but there are numerous stories of people on the South coast having their traffic go through Edinburgh.

They only seem to do 2 year contracts with the stupid CPI + 3.9% price rise which was 14% last year."

I would drop the rating on CS from pretty terrible to beyond awful. Cancelling on the back of an email letting me know I can leave has been nothing but a pain, they argued and were pointlessly difficult when it came to disconnection date. Cannot wait to not pay them ever again.

Soldato
My Vodafone 940/940 connection! Switching over next week to TalkTalk :rolleyes:
BNG messed up in August, was perfect for 3-4yrs - zero drops, 2ms latency... Was hoping it maybe would sort itself out, you can just get unlucky I guess, not really what you should expect though.

1tIQLCI.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Talktalk about out of the frying pan and into the kettle :D
Nah TalkTalk's CS might not be the best just like Vodafone, but they have excellent routing and low latency w/o the BNG issues you get with Vodafone.
Would much prefer when on FTTP to be with a provider with solid peering than to be with one who has amazing CS, but a terrible network.
Zen is the only one on CityFibre with both of best words to be honest.

https://www.peeringdb.com/net/721

Last edited:
Soldato
How does TalkTalk compare to BT routing and latency?
Both excellent and probably very similar, you'll see bigger diff in latency between the two if you're far away from where you're peering, of course sadly no option of BT on CityFibre though :(

Last edited:
Associate
My VF deal is finishing in a couple of weeks time and the monthly cost is going up from £37 to a whopping £75pm! Apparently the deal I am on provides a 50% discount within the contract period. I have spoken to their retentions team and they can offer £29pm for the 900mb package for another 2 years but I am contemplating moving as over the past couple years I have noticed the odd slow down and the pings aren't great.

In my area, the alternatives under the Cityfibre network seems a bit more limited though:
TalkTalk - Appear to be the best alternative as the connections seems solid but CS sucks if you need it.
ZEN - seem to be on the middle ground, average service and CS, no static IPs.
Giganet - Probably similar to Zen.
Smaller ISPs (Brawband, Brillband & Coverged) which I wouldnt really consider.

Associate
BNG messed up in August, was perfect for 3-4yrs - zero drops, 2ms latency... Was hoping it maybe would sort itself out, you can just get unlucky I guess, not really what you should expect though.

1tIQLCI.png

How are you going through the switch as I hear its not something thats done smoothly if on Cityfibre network? Are you cancelling on the VF end first and then arranging a new install via Talktalk?

Soldato
How are you going through the switch as I hear its not something thats done smoothly if on Cityfibre network? Are you cancelling on the VF end first and then arranging a new install via Talktalk?
Ordered another line with existing Vodafone still active with a few days overlap. Heard it's not a smooth transfer so just done it like this instead, not ideal.

Giganet - Probably similar to Zen.
Giganet have CGNAT if that affects you btw

Last edited:
Associate
Ordered another line with existing Vodafone still active with a few days overlap. Heard it's not a smooth transfer so just done it like this instead, not ideal.

Giganet have CGNAT if that affects you btw

Let me know how it goes, TalkTalk seem to be my preferred alternative if I decide to go for the switch.

Soldato
Options I have

Vodafone
Talktalk
Zen
Octaplus
Giganet
no one
Yayzi
IDNET
Gigabit networks
Factgo
Fibre hop
A&A
Link

Never had any broadband issues in the past and always had rock solid connections.

Last edited:
Associate

1tIQLCI.png

I'm looking to do similar, although i've only been with them for 2 weeks and issued notice in the cooling off period, on top of being routed to edinburgh i get the below speed dips during peak times. Speed test is done every hour.
I tried to put in an order with talktalk and it got cancelled. So i'm just going to wait for disconnect and then put in the order since I have sdwan with lte connectivity setup and an unlimited sim card.

E0jFyoO.png

Associate
Options I have

Vodafone
Talktalk
Zen
Octaplus
Giganet
no one
Yayzi
IDNET
Gigabit networks
Factgo
Fibre hop
A&A
Link

Never had any broadband issues in the past and always had rock solid connections.

Nice selection.

What is the pricing like for a lot of those and in some areas some of those offer 2.5Gbps don't they?

Soldato
I'm looking to do similar, although i've only been with them for 2 weeks and issued notice in the cooling off period, on top of being routed to edinburgh i get the below speed dips during peak times. Speed test is done every hour.
It was worse too yesterday for me, normally it isn't quite this bad... used to it being around ~250/940.
kJ462U9.png

What is the pricing like for a lot of those and in some areas some of those offer 2.5Gbps don't they?
Yayzi is the only one doing 2.5G~ right now, but only trials for select users, they previously said they expect to release late November. There's a post by a trial user on the CityFibre subreddit.
Vodafone will release early 2024, no word on any of the others yet, but you would guess all of them would switch to higher packages soon. Some will need to think about what router to provide if it's only a 1G one atm, and for users upgrading a new ONT & Router would need to be provided.

Soldato
It was worse too yesterday for me, normally it isn't quite this bad... used to it being around ~250/940.
kJ462U9.png

Yayzi is the only one doing 2.5G~ right now, but only trials for select users, they previously said they expect to release late November. There's a post by a trial user on the CityFibre subreddit.
Vodafone will release early 2024, no word on any of the others yet, but you would guess all of them would switch to higher packages soon. Some will need to think about what router to provide if it's only a 1G one atm, and for users upgrading a new ONT & Router would need to be provided.
Wow, I would be raging and looking to terminate the contract if those were my stats.

Soldato
Nice selection.

Based on 900 packages.....

Vodafone - £29pm, 24m contract £120 cashback
Talktalk - £45, 18m contract, £100 cashback
Zen - £40, 18m contract
Octaplus - £27, CPI increase of 3.9%, first 3m is £1
Giganet - £39, 18m contract
no one - £29, 24m contract with no price rises
Yayzi - £29, 18m (2.5g is £50pm)
IDNET - £48, 12m contract
Gigabit networks - £29, 24m contract
Factgo - £29
Fibre hop - £36, £65 set up fee
A&A - unknown
Link - £26.95, new installs only

Last edited:
Associate
Based on 900 packages.....

Vodafone - £29pm, 24m contract £120 cashback
Talktalk - £45, 18m contract, £100 cashback
Zen - £40, 18m contract
Octaplus - £27, CPI increase of 3.9%, first 3m is £1
Giganet - £39, 18m contract
no one - £29, 24m contract with no price rises
Yayzi - £29, 18m (2.5g is £50pm)
IDNET - £48, 12m contract
Gigabit networks - £29, 24m contract
Factgo - £29
Fibre hop - £36, £65 set up fee
A&A - unknown
Link - £26.95, new installs only

Not only a good selection you appear to get some good prices.

Have you decided which one you are going with?

Soldato
Not only a good selection you appear to get some good prices.

Have you decided which one you are going with?
Quite lucky I'm in a decent area with decent connections.

Not sure who to go with though!!

Some good reviews on no one and no price rises. Voda reputation makes me want to steer away.

Don't know much on the others .

Soldato
Quite lucky I'm in a decent area with decent connections.

Not sure who to go with though!!

Some good reviews on no one and no price rises. Voda reputation makes me want to steer away.

Don't know much on the others .

£29.99 for 1 Gig last time I checked on no one.

Their service has been great and they recently upgraded their router.

Give them a call and see if their service is right for you :)

Soldato
£29.99 for 1 Gig last time I checked on no one.

Their service has been great and they recently upgraded their router.

Give them a call and see if their service is right for you :)
Might call them tomorrow.

Do I need to disconnect my old line first, I assume this is going to be brand new cable ran into my house or will it use the current one?

New to this!

Back
Top Bottom