City Fibre

Associate
I'll have to find something to plug in to it directly and run a speed test.

Do you guys use 2.5 or 5ghz and pick your signals for both or just let the router do its thing.

The router was set to united states, it was meant to be pre set up!
I've separated my 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections into two different SSIDs if thats what you're referring to. Some devices pick the wrong one when they're combined I've noticed in the past. With regards to channels, I did change them so they weren't going to interfere with the router I've got in AP mode. Mine was also set to the US.
Is anyone else having problems tonight on city fibre? I’m having shocking wired download speeds anywhere from 60mb to 450mb but it can’t sustain the higher download(it looks like a rollercoaster) , normal 900mb upload speeds, restart router checked connections all looks ok, steam also won’t get above 400Mbps, when it was over 800Mbps when I patched a game the other day
I've had no problems with speeds yesterday with my brand new no-one install, basically getting the full 940mb, but I've had drop out issues today which the router seems terrible at recovering from. Have to go to the router, unplug the WAN cable for a while, replug it in and hope it connects.

I think it's mainly the router anyway, the ONT lights are all on and fine when I go to the router, but the router just says there's no internet connection. Contemplating putting it into bridge mode or swapping the routers around to use my own one or something if it keeps up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've separated my 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections into two different SSIDs if thats what you're referring to. Some devices pick the wrong one when they're combined I've noticed in the past. With regards to channels, I did change them so they weren't going to interfere with the router I've got in AP mode. Mine was also set to the US.

I've had no problems with speeds yesterday with my brand new no-one install, basically getting the full 940gb, but I've had drop out issues today which the router seems terrible at recovering from. Have to go to the router, unplug the WAN cable for a while, replug it in and hope it connects.

I think it's mainly the router anyway, the ONT lights are all on and fine when I go to the router, but the router just says there's no internet connection. Contemplating putting it into bridge mode or swapping the routers around to use my own one or something if it keeps up.
Yes, separate them out. I downloaded an app to see what best channels were.

Did you set yours to UK ?

Associate
Yeah I've just got a second router in AP mode for the upstairs. I've not got it attached to the ceiling or anything. It's just in the room upstairs because I'm using MoCA for the hardwiring (we already had the coax run that was no longer being used, so ended up cheaper than getting someone to wire up ethernet).

The only problem I have is just roaming woes. The no one router doesn't seem to allow you to adjust RSSI kick off point, so some devices are staying attached to it when they really shouldn't be.

Soldato
Done some testing.

Living room

Firestick
2.4ghz - 26mb max
5ghz - 140mb max

Phone -
2.4ghz 150mb max
5ghz - 620mb max

A WiFi app I've used says the link speed on WiFi 2.4ghz is around 150mb, but on 5ghz it's ranging from 600-900.

These match the speeds I get on my phone, the firestick must be in a dead spot and struggling for signal I guess it is what it is until I can figure out how to improve the range.

This router is poor for wifi and it's only in the next room with 1 wall between us, probably 5m away! The Plusnet one performed better.

I'm a bit of a noob on networking so I'll have to read up on this access point stuff!

Caporegime
Might be worth putting the little extension cable on the Fire Stick that I think they come with and poking it out behind the TV temporarily

Soldato
Might be worth putting the little extension cable on the Fire Stick that I think they come with and poking it out behind the TV temporarily
My firestick isnt behind TV, it's on the floor hidden away which is probably the problem. I've moved it out to the shelf but it's made no difference so far.

The upstairs firestick, which is further away and behind more walls/doors gets 274mb on the 5ghz network.

Caporegime
If you swap them around does the problem stay with one device? It might be faulty in which case you can pester Amazon to replace it.

Associate
You mentioned the plusnet one was better but what were the speeds with that?

Some devices just don't have a particularly great antenna. Funnily enough I have an Apple TV that is practically next to a router and it still caps out at between 200-300 despite my phone getting 800-900 in a similar location. Same for my Series X too actually, that doesn't go over 300 either despite having direct line of sight of the router only a meterish away, meanwhile the PS5 which doesn't have direct line of sight due to the TV gets a bit under 600.

Associate
Again tonight no one connection all over the place, less than 400mb downstream, fine upstream, this is now actually worse than my virgin connection who I now regret leaving
Have you tried giving them a ring? Don't think their lines are open on a weekend so you'd have to wait till monday, but their phone support seemed very good.

Caporegime
Does anybody have strong opinions either way on business providers on the Cityfibre network? Looking for static IPv4 and IPv6 at a minimum, nice to haves would be the ability to buy additional IPv4 blocks if needed, and DHCP rather than PPPoE though the latter is low down the list of priorities.

I've so far only emailed Zen as my understanding that the weird problems they have only affect their Openreach services.

Soldato
I've got a couple of circuits from Arrow Communications. They've been fine, very good actually during the install when the landlord at one of our sites was being a bit of a tool with wayleave which meant we lost 15 months.

The circuits have been in use for about 4 months and I don't think we've had any outages. IP wise we've got a /29 IPv4, I need to check with the IPv6 subnet is. During the sales process they mentioned that subnets > /29 where doable, subject to RIPE forms and the like.

No pesky PPPoE.

There's 2 things I'm not a fan of.

- The Cisco CPE they ship (I forget which model it is, I can check when I'm next in the office) ships with only 1 customer facing port active (the rest are admin down) and they they refuse to 'no shut' any of the others. Might not be an issue depending on your use case. No rack mount supplied with the CPE.

- This is probably a CityFibre thing, but mounting options for the ONT are very limited. It can either go onto a wall or sit loose. Not ideal for us where in both locations they're in a comms rack so need to just sit on a shelf. Something 1U (even if it's an enclosure for the original ONT) would be very much welcomed.

Caporegime
That smells like you're on the 1000 Flex ethernet thing if you're getting a Cisco router, presume you're around the £250/month mark for that

Back
Top Bottom