City Fibre

Associate
Question. if CF say on website that my road is ready and VF are the only option, but when i called VF they said not ready and to call back in 12 weeks time for an update, the lady did say at 1st call back in 24 weeks wow.
does this seem right?
seems like there is a delay between CF and vodaphone updating their systems.

I had the email to say CF was now available in my area, when i entered my post code on their site it gave a list of the available ISPs but often when you went to their site they said unavailable. This gradually changed except for vodaphone who took ages.

I initially wanted to go with them being the larger company but their prices were crazy compared to others espechially for the package I wanted. I have had mine installed with no one since the 5th but my neighbour is still struggling with voda, they have tried calling multiple times but they keep saying its unavailable.

Man of Honour
I pay £35 P/m for Virgin 1Gig, when CityFibre launched in my Postcode last Summer my Virgin contract was up for renewal, for clarity I'm actually on a 500mb Virgin package, but I'm also an 02 customers so get Volt benefits which doubles my phone data and virgin speed for free, when I phoned them and after a little haggling they matched what I was offered through CityFibre price wise, needless to say, when my contract is next up for renewal I will again see who offers the best deal.
Except VM can’t match City Fibre’s latency or upload.

Associate
Except VM can’t match City Fibre’s latency or upload.
I would surmise this would depend on numerous variables, again through my experience I've never had any issues with latency, yes upload speed can be on the low side compared to CityFibre providers, but for my needs, which is mainly gaming, what I get with VM right now is more than enough, when my contract is up for renewal again obviously I will see what is on offer, I have 2 friends in my home town who moved to CityFirbre last year when it was first launched / available in our area and both have had issues with the ISP and suffered from drop-outs and speed issues, but personally I've never had any issues with VM, but I can't speak for everyone, hopefully come renewal any issues / bugs with CityFibre locally will be ironed out, more ISPs available and, other than price, will be a more compelling option.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you think different ISP make much difference for gaming on the CF network? if the ISP is Local would it be better? Vfast is local to me compared to my current ISP

Will likely make little to no difference.
If your ISP is good, then it shouldn't make a difference but if your ISP is vodafone then you could live in Kent and have your traffic routed through Edinburgh.

Reading the last few messages, I think we can see who people don't recommend :D

Associate
If your ISP is good, then it shouldn't make a difference but if your ISP is vodafone then you could live in Kent and have your traffic routed through Edinburgh.

Reading the last few messages, I think we can see who people don't recommend :D
Yeah the current ISP seems good enough... But Vfast is located in Kent so local for me and was wondering if it made any difference going the their data centre which is closer, Giganet also have something thats supposed to be not great for gaming cant remember what is called now having a senior moment

Soldato
I pay £35 P/m for Virgin 1Gig, when CityFibre launched in my Postcode last Summer my Virgin contract was up for renewal, for clarity I'm actually on a 500mb Virgin package, but I'm also an 02 customers so get Volt benefits which doubles my phone data and virgin speed for free, when I phoned them and after a little haggling they matched what I was offered through CityFibre price wise, needless to say, when my contract is next up for renewal I will again see who offers the best deal.
That's a good deal. I've been with VM for 7 years and just renewed at £40 a month for 1Gb.

Soldato
Yeah the current ISP seems good enough... But Vfast is located in Kent so local for me and was wondering if it made any difference going the their data centre which is closer, Giganet also have something thats supposed to be not great for gaming cant remember what is called now having a senior moment
CGNAT - Generally you want to budget for a dedicated IP in such circumstances which is normally a few quid extra per month.

Associate
CGNAT - Generally you want to budget for a dedicated IP in such circumstances which is normally a few quid extra per month.
CGNAT! That's the one lol. I did that and asked them to put me on a static IP for £3 extra a month and if anything ping times in my favourite servers have risen a bit. I have asked VFast if they use CGNAT and they have told me they don't...Possibly BT Business would be better they offered me a decent deal but want to lock me into a 2 year deal which I'm not keen on and I would lose a lot of upload speed, not that I use it really.

Associate
I'd been with Zen for a few years, but could only get about 24Mbps on fttc - they've just upgraded me at no charge and no no change to my contract to full fibre 500 on the city fibre network. It's brilliant, a genuine 500Mbps up and down, and I'm very happy with the whole process.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
I don't know which City Fibre provider to go with.

I had initially shortlisted Gigabit Networks - £32 per month for 900mb, 24 month contract, no in-period rises, wifi6 router. But the ISP seems to get some bad TrustPilot reviews and also some complaints over the router supplied.

Soldato
Didn't have any issues with Giganet but their support is slow at getting back to you, only left as No One was offering the same speed for cheaper and had good reviews from members here. Router they gave me was the Eero 6 and it was ok, not great.

Soldato
I don't know which City Fibre provider to go with.

I had initially shortlisted Gigabit Networks - £32 per month for 900mb, 24 month contract, no in-period rises, wifi6 router. But the ISP seems to get some bad TrustPilot reviews and also some complaints over the router supplied.
Sounds like a job for a spreadsheet!

Soldato
Just looked at Yayzi (£35), they also seem to have a series of bad reviews.
Separate the reviews into two categories, CF install/construction issues (nothing to do with whoever you use/pay) and other issues. In my case I had a ball ache with no shows, Liam went out of his way out of hours to help wherever he could. A minor technical issue cropped up on a random Sunday and I had a reply and a solution confirmed within 2 minutes.

Yayzi are far from perfect, they're small, growing rapidly and have had a variety of teething issues, but most importantly, they seem to learn from each issue and make changes and be transparent when they do get it wrong, and thats pretty refreshing as someone who worked in the industry.

Back
Top Bottom