City of Heroes

Caporegime
Been playing with a mastermind and pets on my own server - doesn't replicate the experience of playing with other players but lets me enjoy a lot of what I liked about the gameplay (I always liked to play as an emp defender) without feeling quite so alone heh.

Shame that kind of setup can't really deal with AVs until you are at much higher levels - at lower levels as elite bosses they are far too easy, as AVs far too hard.
I seem to remember a massive jump between EB's and AV's too!

Man of Honour
I loved the combat against AVs at higher levels back in the day with a team was a good balance. AFAIK only trick controller and/or scrapper setups can solo them really unless you have a min/maxed character at level 50 (IIRC you really need to debuff their regen).

EBs are a bit disappointing in comparison - if I had more time I could probably mod the game to give them a better balance.

Man of Honour
Forgot how much of a grind the game is between roughly levels 25 and 38 if you play it at the original XP level especially playing solo.

Quite interesting to compare a proper play through now vs my understanding and approach to the game 10-20 years ago. Also quite scary that is was almost 20 years ago I played the game for the first time - I still remember the beta like it was yesterday.

Man of Honour
Jeez was it that long ago? I was a Regen Scrapper, it was my first MMO and I started off in the beta as well.

Yeah - there was a US beta in 2003 and a EU one in 2004 for the EU release in 2005. I was doing some work for a US game service provider at the time and got roped into the US beta - didn't really think it was a game for me at the time as I pretty much exclusively played FPS games.

My first character was a blaster but my first level 50 was a emp/emp defender.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Whelp Envoy of Shadows as an EB at +2 difficulty level not so easy as a MM with mercs - couldn't beat until I'd levelled up once to bring it closer to my level. Everything else is pretty doable other than AVs and GMs - most of the other EBs barely get to fight back.

Soldato
I enjoyed this back in the day and had a great group of friends in game.
I'm just not sure I could be bothered to start it all over again from scratch. I had so many characters I loved at the time but obviously they're gone. Couldn't even remember the account details if they were available.

Man of Honour
Heard from Worth A Buy that basically, everything is above board and legal now.

Well Homecoming has an "understanding" so in theory won't be asked to shutdown any time soon, etc.

I enjoyed this back in the day and had a great group of friends in game.
I'm just not sure I could be bothered to start it all over again from scratch. I had so many characters I loved at the time but obviously they're gone. Couldn't even remember the account details if they were available.

The progression, especially with newer versions of the game, is a bit all over the place but I've been running my own private server with a few friends and family who used to play back in the game, can actually be quite a blast ramping up the XP gain a little and hitting it as a group if you've all got some time to commit to it which sadly doesn't happen that often these days, was hoping to get a good session in over Christmas but people had various things on and it never came off.

Last time I jumped in Homecoming had a pretty solid player base and it was possible to get into a group and blitzing content but at the time with some questions over the future of the game I didn't want to commit too much to creating characters on a server which might disappear any time.

Soldato
OP
I’m still enjoying this (Homecoming) on a casual basis, dipping in and out now and then (usually Rikti raids etc). It’s like a comfort blanket from the past. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom