City of Heroes

Associate
Looks like I24 is almost in a deployable state and people may even be able to run their own instance with up to 200 peeps (depending on hardware etc).
I'd take that as a last resort. Prefer to have a proper community one

Man of Honour
Looks like I24 is almost in a deployable state and people may even be able to run their own instance with up to 200 peeps (depending on hardware etc).
I'd take that as a last resort. Prefer to have a proper community one

Hope so - I'll definitely grab the files if I can to run something locally for myself/family.

Man of Honour
Spent a good two hours last night with a team of 8 hitting missions in The Hollows - one thing I am finding is that previously I played the game on a much lower resolution - now in the middle of frantic action I lose the mouse pointer too easily with everything onscreen LOL - have increased the pointer scale a bit which helps.

Man of Honour
I think the guide here is still relevant:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofhero...uide_for_preparing_to_join_the_public_server/

If you still have an old CoH install that is reasonably up to date as per when they shutdown you can save a bit of downloading. Obviously don't use passwords you'd use elsewhere. You do need to create both a forum account and then a ingame account on the savecoh site.

In Tequila you'd use the 3rd option that isn't Paragon Chat or Icon - usually SCORE.

Soldato
OP
Spent a good two hours last night with a team of 8 hitting missions in The Hollows - one thing I am finding is that previously I played the game on a much lower resolution - now in the middle of frantic action I lose the mouse pointer too easily with everything onscreen LOL - have increased the pointer scale a bit which helps.
I did the same. The option to scale your pointer. Is a life saver :)

Soldato
OP
For people who never played this game, follow the guides and I guarantee you will be addicted. This was the nmo that did everything right but got ditched by the publisher.

Man of Honour
Sadly seems servers are struggling (more than just the odd pause/map server message) at the moment combination of sheer player load and the patch they released to try and increase performance has some issues.

Man of Honour
We’ve had a bunch of questions regarding what the current setup is, where it is, and what it’s costing, so in the interest of transparency:

• 1x Auth Server (4 cores, 8GB RAM)
  • 1x Web Server (4 cores, 8GB RAM)
  • 4x DB Servers (6 cores, 16GB RAM) (One per shard)
  • 5x Big Mapservers (32 cores, 64GB RAM)
  • 4x Small Mapservers (16 cores, 32GB RAM)
It’s hosted in Amsterdam, and overall it’s costing around $4,700 per month.

Ooof I hope they can keep those funded - incredible how this game has taken off:

And some quick stats: We’re on 31,500 accounts, 107,183 characters, and we currently have just under 3,000 people online.

Times like this I miss having my old dual CPU Xeon 5 series server with unlimited gigabit - would have been nice to host some stuff but unfortunately was a bit of a drain on my finances.

Associate
Yeah I don't see how it's sustainable right now. Hopefully they can get I24 streamlined to run on less resources, but even then it still comes at a cost which they can't charge for.
Been loving it, although I did do some farming today. Without any monitoring you can fly through levels, got 17 levels in an hour. Also believe tips etc have no limits so can get merits easily. WW is not exactly well stocked

Soldato
I hit level 21 last night and it was a bit lonely up there so I started an earth /thorns dominator. :)
Ahhh i remember my earth/thorns The Thornicator, loved this game, i haven't got the time in need to play it though, i think i had 8 50's by the time i left it alone.

Man of Honour
Ah midway through Positron taskforce and map servered and can't connect again :(

EDIT: Looks like their code to let people back in within 10 minutes of being disconnected is broken - if you join the queue, wait a little, reconnect it seems to think you were actually ingame and got disconnected and immediately connects you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom