Cloned drive won't boot

Associate
Hi

Its been a while since I have been on here - hope you are all ok.

So I am trying to transfer my system from a small 80g hard drive to either a 320g hard drive or a 500g hard drive to which I have ended up with 5 drives in my computer.... 2 data drives and 3 system drives however only the original 80g drive will boot.

What I eventually want to do is remove my small 80g hard drive currently listed as Master Disk 0 with the boot system on and the two 160g drives (one of which is Slave Disk 1 both containing data that I use) keeping the two larger drives - one for the system and the other for data and a backup system (if that makes any sense).

I have tried using the cloning tools in AOMEI Backupper, AOMEI Partition Assistant and Macrium Reflect Free but none seem to be able to make bootable drives even though all appear to clone/copy the hard drive successfully - I attach photo's of the set up in the hope that someone can give me some guidance as to where I am going wrong.

Disk 0 (Original Boot) 80GB = C Drive - CH0 M Drive Name IC 35L080AVVA07-0 (Master)
Disk 1 (Data Disk) 160GB = E Drive - CH0 S Drive Name ST3160212 ACE (Slave)
Disk 2 (Clone) 320GB = F/J Drives SCSI 0 Drive Name WDC WD3200AVVS -63L2BO
Disk 3 (Clone) 500GB = G/H Drive SCSI 1 Drive Name HC 55C1050CLA 382
Disk 4 (Data) 160GB = I Drive SCSI 2 Drive Name WD 1600JD-OOHBBO

I need either Disk 2 or 3 to Boot so I can use the other one to save Data and backups.

Its a standalone music DAW computer btw.

Fingers crossed
Vikki

Sorry guys which is best tool to load the images - grr

Last edited:
What error do you get when booting off the newly cloned disk?

Hi -
- inaccessible_boot_device
and
- Bootmgr missing

The images are from my disk manager - I will also get the image from Macrium if that helps.
I am so frustrated with this been on it for days - used to be so simple in the older systems before Windows 10.

Thank you
Vikki

I think macrium would help, when using reflect did you clone individual partitions rather than the whole disk?

The easiest way I have found is to clone the whole disk to the new one including all partitions. reboot, booting from the new disk then extend the main partition to fill up remaining space. I have had similar issues to this when cloning oem machines.

I thought I had cloned to the whole disk but to be honest after using AOMEI initially and it not working - I found the language in Macrium Reflect a little confusing - do you think re-doing it might help as it seems to have gone haywire in that it has added partitions to the drive.

Thanks so much for your help.
Vikki

Is it windows 7? If so boot off your win 7 install dvd, choose R for repair and let it run some boot repair checks.

Hi
Its Windows 10 not windows 7 although we do have a windows 7 system disk from before we updated to windows 10
Thank you
Vikki

I am getting a warning box saying that the disk geometry is different to the target disk - i have two choices either to select the source geometry (recommended) or to select the destination geometry.
Last time I selected the recommended because it says if you are booting in the same or identical pc the other is for transfering to another pc

Thank you

Last edited:
Does it matter that the two original disk drives in my system are the old type IDE drives i.e. the Master & Slave drives?

Yes it does.

You may need to check in the bios to see what mode the sata ports are in. Set them to IDE mode for the first image boot.

What I would do is remove all drives from the system besides the old drive and new drive. Macrium clone. Then remove old drive.

Now look in bios to modify drive data mode.

Failing that, the macrium boot disk a ''fix boot" tool with it.

This is from the bios

host gifs

This is also from the bios

Do you think I should remove the other drives and just keep the original boot drive and the new boot drive then and try again.

Thanks
Vikki

Removing the other drives should make things more straightforward and will also reduce the chances of you accidentally overwriting the wrong drive.
What motherboard is it?

Are the SATA drives connected to the motherboard directly or via an add in card?

Apologies for the delay but my laptop decided to do updates when I had to leave the room for a short time lol

I have removed the two 160gb data drives but the master wont boot without the slave. Working from the old master drive and using AOMEI partition assistant I am currently deleting the partitions on the large 500gb drive with the intention of using Macrium Reflect to attempt the clone from the original 80gb master to the new 500 gb drive.

The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

The SATA drives connect directly to the motherboard.

Thanks
Vikki

Last edited:
If, as I have discovered the original master drive wont boot without the slave on the old IDE drives - could the new cloned drive be missing some information stored somewhere on the slave drive? If so, any ideas how I can get round it?
Thanks
Vikki

So it boots okay and gets into Windows with only the two IDE drives connected?

What happens with only the one drive attached? We need details of what it does and any error messages.

Hi
Having messed with this into the small hours - and done varies other things to try to get this sorted, I powered up just using the one original master disk and instead of it 1) hanging 2) say inaccessible_boot_device or 3)bootmgr_missing it has started windows up surprisingly with only the following error message :
how do you print screen

Thanks
Vikki

So today I have a created a bootable windows 10 usb using the windows 10 media creation tool. I have also done an image of my original ide hard drive to my new sata hard drive. If I can get the computer to start up from the usb how do i then get windows onto my new drive? Or just i simply try to load the image - no clue how to do that?
Thanks
Vikki

The trick with errors like that is to stick them straight into Google.

The first results suggest that it could be related to a 'USB powered M-Audio device' which could sense as you say it's a music PC.

We use an M-Audio soundcard (powered from a pci slot) so not sure about the usb power you mention.

Thanks
Vikki

So it likely is M-Audio related. Presumably there's something M-Audio related on the removed drive that the system is trying to run when you start Windows.

Is there any reason why you can't reinstall Windows 10 from scratch? At this point I think it'd be the simplest option.

I have the windows 10 set up on my usb as far as I can tell as I have a created a bootable windows 10 usb using the windows 10 media creation tool and am considering loading this on to my new hard drive but am not sure how to proceed.

Thanks
Vikki

Back
Top Bottom