CM Hyper 212 EVO TIM Application

Associate
I recently purchased a Hyper 212 EVO, and I was wondering what is the best way to apply the thermal paste for it. As I see many threads on the internet saying that the 3 lines method is the perfect application method for its predecessor the Hyper 212+.

However for the Hyper 212 EVO, the heatpipes are literally forming a near enough flat surface. So does the classic "pea size" application method work better rather then the 3 lines method? :confused:

Soldato
I have just bought the same cooler, so very topical to me as well...

I have not received it yet, so I do not know just how big the gaps between pipes are, but even if quite small, it still seems that "pea sized drop" of TIM would be pushed out along these as opposed to being evenly spread out in all directions.

I think I will spread TIM onto CPU using the plastic card and then just stick the cooler on top. I know it wont be perfectly even, but I just cant imagine a better way...

Associate
OP
Starting to think of doing that as well. As the thinner and most even thermal paste application is the best application. Relying on the cooler's weight to spread the "pea sized drop" across the CPU with this cooler could give unexpected results on the spread.

I guess..

Associate
The evo still has little gaps on the base where the pipes join. I've found it best to use an old clean credit card to spread tim into the gaps without letting it adhere to the base, then pop a pea sized amount on.

Associate
OP
The evo still has little gaps on the base where the pipes join. I've found it best to use an old clean credit card to spread tim into the gaps without letting it adhere to the base, then pop a pea sized amount on.

That seems like a smart idea to be fair, However I only wish I had an old credit card to do that lol.

nickeverett said:
I have a 212 evo on the way as well.

What TIM are people using with it? I heard the small tube that comes with it is fine. But others day use Arctic MX4.

The only review I could find for the thermal paste that comes with the Hyper 212 Series. is from here.
It seems good to me.

Last edited:
Associate

Hyper212_EVO_590x442_3.jpg

They look like very microscopic gaps

Associate
OP
No worries. Also for your other question, I have the Silverstone Raven03 case so I don't really need to do the push and pull method as a high amount of air is pushed into my CPU cooler's intake fan (Gotta love Air Penetrators!).

However it is still recommended to do the push and pull as it does increase cooling for sure.

Associate
No worries. Also for your other question, I have the Silverstone Raven03 case so I don't really need to do the push and pull method as a high amount of air is pushed into my CPU cooler's intake fan (Gotta love Air Penetrators!).

However it is still recommended to do the push and pull as it does increase cooling for sure.

I've been thinking about picking up a couple of air penetrators for intake fans. What do you use as exhaust fans?

Associate
OP
I've been thinking about picking up a couple of air penetrators for intake fans. What do you use as exhaust fans?

Any fan can be a good exhaust fan. But then of course you would need a good fan.

Noctua are known for making good fans, however they are indeed ugly in another persons perspective. (click here for their range)
If style and serious airflow is your desire, Alpenföhn are the one to look at.
sadly their fan are out of stock at OverclockersUk.

But in my opinion exhaust fans are less important to worry about airflow wise, than intake fans.

Associate
So, my CM Hyper 212 EVO arrived! I took some macro shots of the CDC heat pipes.

The gaps between the pipes are small, which made apply TIM much easier. I went for the two line approach.

Now running 2500k @ 4.7Ghz 1.29v, still stability testing but passed max intel burn test with max temp of 75c and prime95 for a few hours has peaked at 66c so far.

Very pleased with the cooler so far. Idle temps dropped 8-10c!

The only annoyance was my case, BitFenix Alpha. It has cut out behind motherboard but not quite in the right place to fit the cooler backplate.

Images are clickable for 1920x1080 images.

obnvvl.jpg

OzDCXl.jpg

MFMURl.jpg

Soldato
So, my CM Hyper 212 EVO arrived! I took some macro shots of the CDC heat pipes.

The gaps between the pipes are small, which made apply TIM much easier. I went for the two line approach.

Now running 2500k @ 4.7Ghz 1.29v, still stability testing but passed max intel burn test with max temp of 75c and prime95 for a few hours has peaked at 66c so far.

Very pleased with the cooler so far. Idle temps dropped 8-10c!

The only annoyance was my case, BitFenix Alpha. It has cut out behind motherboard but not quite in the right place to fit the cooler backplate.

What do you mean by "two lines" approach?

I'm expecting to receive mine tomorrow (fingers crossed) and really hope it will improve my temps that my mended Arctic 7Pro is giving.

Back
Top Bottom