Cobra Kai

Soldato
I saw the teaser/trailer for this a while back. Might give it a go, just for spits and sniggers...

it's like in Top Gun where hardly anyone actually noticed the Americans were the aggressors/villians in the final battle because they had been presented all film as the heroes.
They were??!!

"The communication ship SS Leighton has become disabled and has wandered into foreign territory.
A rescue operation is to begin within the hour. Your mission is to give air support to that rescue
".

SS, not USS, so probably another nation's vessel... and one still using steam, at that!
So it's a rescue mission, not an attack.
Also, the bad guys shot first, making them the aggressors.
Also, also, James Tolkan speaks this quote and you don't argue with him unless you're, like, Chuck Norris or something!

Soldato
They were??!!
Yup, it's one of those things you don't see on the first watch because of the way it's presented, but the plot of the final battle was essentially that a US ship had suffered engine failure and drifted into the territorial waters of another country, rather than inform that country of this and request help with a rescue as per international laws/treaties the US sends in the navy to kill anything that comes within 200 miles of their ship. As you would expect unnamed country doesn't take too kindly to being randomly invaded by the US and sends it's navy fighters to intercept them, the protagonists then then heroically kill about half a dozen men who are just defending their home.

Soldato
Loved it, I thought it was brill. Tho I have to think if I liked the final episode. Really liked the nods to the film especially the music from the film here and there coming unexpectedly. Wished Ali was in tho, fancied her loads from kk1 and cocktail.

It's interesting how the roles have reversed in it but at the end it was interesting to see his pupil end up the way he did and I think jonny realized he turned into he who shall not be named lol and the pupil took the way of cobra Kai so literally.

S2 will be good to wait for tho not sure how they will do it.

Also the very last bit of E10. Goosebumps...

Soldato
Watched the whole season - Slightly cheesy but very nicely done. Daniel is as annoying as ever!

rather than inform that country of this and request help with a rescue as per international laws/treaties
Where is it confirmed they did not already attempt this?
Where is it confirmed that this is even a US ship?

Soldato
Where is it confirmed they did not already attempt this?
Where is it confirmed that this is even a US ship?
Sheesh you're quite taking offense at finding this out aren't you lol, I suggest watching the film again, there's a number of things that appear very different as an adult.

1: It's reasonable to assume they did as similar incidents did actually happen during the cold war and official channels were used to resolve the situation as per protocol instead of simply sending in the heavies.
2: Because in the story it's a fictional US communication ship called the SS Layton.

NB: In the videogame it's actually expanded upon that it was doing intelligence gathering when it was attacked and disabled by Soviet fighters, however as far as the movie plot goes the Soviet fighters were not active until the arrival of the USN Tomcats and the fact it was described as having become disabled rather than having been disabled implicated failure rather than damage.

Soldato
Sheesh you're quite taking offense at finding this out aren't you lol
No offense at all. Just challenging the theory.

I suggest watching the film again, there's a number of things that appear very different as an adult.
I've ended up watching it quite a lot, in the last decade or so. It's still a cheesy pile of gaffe-ridden cack, with homosexual undertones. According to some USN friends of mine, there's not a single scene without an error.

1: It's reasonable to assume they did
And yet you assert that they didn't already attempt this?
Given that this was an urgent rescue mission requiring military support, yet they took a bunch of pilots from aaaaaaaaall the way back in Miramar and sent them to (IIRC) the Indian Ocean 24hrs away, I would presume they had indeed already tried the official channels and not gotten anywhere.

2: Because in the story it's a fictional US communication ship called the SS Layton.
SS. Not USS or USNS. This usually would mean a civilian ship, not a military one.

As far as the videogame goes, I'd only take the film as canon unless the screenwriters worked on the game too?

Soldato
thanks for that , possibly a little to much for my 10 year old then ? shame as he loved the films
Possibly a few too many f-words and the like, with some surprisingly graphic phrasing from Johnny... but then the primary target audience is likely somewhat older.
If your lad is pretty sensible and mature, he might be alright with it... As in, could watch some 80s Arnie films without too much trouble, at this age?

Back
Top Bottom