CoD: Advanced Warfare

Man of Honour
Just beaten this, thoughts below:

+Good performance, typically in the 80-120fps range on my aging HD7950
+I thought the graphics were fine, in particular the animations impressed me. If people were moaning about them a couple of years ago then they must have very high expectations
+A few classic COD set pieces, best representation of crossing a motorway I've seen in a game
+Kevin Spacey
+Decent array of weapons
+ASD suit section is good fun
+Grappling hook is an interesting addition and one of the few bits that gives you a bit of freedom
+Decent checkpoint pacing
+Game length was about right for a cinematic action FPS, took me 8hrs according to Steam. There were a couple of occasions where I thought I might be heading into the last mission but it kept going, which was refreshing

-Controls are a bit annoying in places, e.g. vehicle sections seem to randomly choose whether you need to use mouse or keyboard to drive/steer depending on the vehicle
-QTE getting a bit stale, I also found a few times I couldn't see the prompt because it is in fairly small yellow text sometimes obscured by the background (as the text location is contextual rather than always in the same place)
-Sections where you use drones etc are too mandated, you don't really get any choice in the matter it is just 'press F to launch drone' and no option for a different approach. Same goes for Mag grips, you can't choose to climb a building unless it is scripted that way which makes it a bit pointless, might as well just be a cutscene
-Usual annoying "RETURN TO THE COMBAT AREA!" message if you go a bit off-piste
-Enemy AI sucks in general
-Slightly annoying issue whereby I sometimes get a black screen (especially on game launch) and have to toggle windowed mode to get the screen to display
-Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity not letting you choose loadout before starting a mission
-Story while decent is a bit predictable

Overall I enjoyed the game, pretty much what I was expecting i.e. traditional cinematic production values, lots of action, not much innovation. Worth picking up for that price IMO given that COD games take a long time to drop below the £5 mark.

Man of Honour
Just started this. Many years on I didn't expect it to be such a hardware hog. Everything maxed out at 4K, although I have to leave supersampling at 2x in order to hit a solid 120fps. It's taking 18Gb of Ram and using a fair bit of VRAM too, don't think I've seen anything use that much.

Back
Top Bottom