CoD: Advanced Warfare

Associate
I am getting the same now. Was running fine before. Have not played in a few weeks and now when I come to start game I just get a black screen and the game stops responding.
I have to close it via task manager. I tried starting it in safe mode - it still crashes.
Tried to verify game cache and 136 files didn't verify so steam re-downloaded them. Still it crashes.
Anyone know the cause or how to fix it?

I was having the exact same problem, and it turns out it was because I was running it in Fullscreen mode (I've always run it in fullscreen, but it seems a couple of patches ago it broke fullscreen mode), so now I've got to run it in Borderless Windowed mode, and it runs fine. Try editing the steam launcher to run it in Borderless Windowed, and see if that fixes your problem :)

Soldato
I was having the exact same problem, and it turns out it was because I was running it in Fullscreen mode (I've always run it in fullscreen, but it seems a couple of patches ago it broke fullscreen mode), so now I've got to run it in Borderless Windowed mode, and it runs fine. Try editing the steam launcher to run it in Borderless Windowed, and see if that fixes your problem :)

Will do, thanks for the info.

But how in the hell can they break full screen mode? lol :eek:

Surely full screen functionality is page 1 stuff in the manual of how to make a game? :p

Soldato
lol, you'd think so wouldn't you :confused: let me know if you manage to get it working mate :D

Hi again. Only way I can get the game to run is to start in windowed mode (even borderless is broken at start up), then change to either fullscreen or windowed (no border) and play. BUT I MUST change back to windowed mode before quitting the game otherwise next time I run it I get crashes and have to manually edit the MP config to set it to run in windowed mode.

Seems to be something with the game initialisation that is broken as once it is started in windowed mode I can flick between the other modes no problem. I just have to put it back into windowed mode before quitting.

Can't believe how badly broken this game is now though. Even the menus are buggy / lagged. I suppose it is all part of the master plan to **** people off so they will buy BLOPS 3 :)

Soldato
Me and a mate bought this for some reason last night, wss only £11 so thought we would have a look! Running on a 970 with the settings it suggested im getting a mixture of really smooth to really choppy gameplay? Is this game known for being poorly optimized or am i doing it wrong :D

A snow map outside map it noticeibly bad but the first game i played was silky smooth

Ta

Last edited:
Soldato
Me and a mate bought this for some reason last night, wss only £11 so thought we would have a look! Running on a 970 with the settings it suggested im getting a mixture of really smooth to really choppy gameplay? Is this game known for being poorly optimized or am i doing it wrong :D

A snow map outside map it noticeibly bad but the first game i played was silky smooth

Ta

I have not even bothered trying to play this on PC recently. They broke it badly a few months ago and I never went back properly. I have had a couple of games last month but because of the laggy menus, crashing and hackers I just yawned, turned it off and uninstalled.

It is poorly optimised. It is full of hackers and the netcode is rubbish. There are almost 0 dedicated servers so all games you play online are P2P and suffer badly with laggy insta deaths, people seeing you before you see them and lag comp etc etc. The player base plummeted within 2 weeks of release because of how bad it is. Single player is worth £11 though, so I would stick to that. The multiplayer is just a cluster**** of bad netcode and hitreg + hackers galore. Listerally it is so bad you will probably get at least 2 in any lobby you play in, particularly now the game can be bought cheap.

RE your settings, there are a few things you should look at.

Turn off cache sun shadow maps and cache spot shadow maps, then disable supersampling.

If you get lip sync issues in cut scenes, that happens if you enable shader pre-load during cut scenes. Disable this and your lip sync problems should be fixed.

Leave the standard shader pre-load on if you want to, it just means level loading times will be longer but it helps to keep gameplay smooth.

Also, you may be running out of video memory so try knocking down your texture quality settings a notch.

Do you have vsync enabled?

Associate
Although the game is a, as post above pieve of * Please fully star out swearing* I have been playing for a few hours tonight and actually enjoyed it for a change. Although it started giving DX errors and crashing so I finally rage quit and binned it off. May have to invest in BO3 now!

Although the game is a, as post above pieve of **** I have been playing for a few hours tonight and actually enjoyed it for a change. Although it started giving DX errors and crashing so I finally rage quit and binned it off. May have to invest in BO3 now!

That was 3 months ago, the last couple of patches has made it run nice with xfire.

I been playing it this week and had no errors or crashes.

Verify the game to make sure their no corrupt files.

Associate
That was 3 months ago, the last couple of patches has made it run nice with xfire.

I been playing it this week and had no errors or crashes.

Verify the game to make sure their no corrupt files.

I'll try it out tonight, I have verified it already but may remove and re install it.

I did enjoy playing it, before it started to die on me.

Back
Top Bottom