• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

coffee lake i5 8400/8600k or ryzen 1600?

Soldato
I am talking about the August patch for PUBG!! :p

This one:
http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/108880-playerunknowns-battlegrounds-now-hexacore-cpu-optimised/

The only test I could see from a review site was from Techspot but before August:

https://techspot-static-xjzaqowzxaoif5.stackpathdns.com/articles-info/1450/bench/Battlegrounds.png

That was with a GTX1080TI at 1080p and the game is capped to 144FPS.

OFC,I don't know since then if things have changed,or if they introduced more things into the game which causes more CPU usage,so its why I didn't link it before.

Its the main problem with Early Access games,since things can change quite dramatically at times!

My bad!

Soldato
Wow I've missed a fair but while moving house!

Looks like that shows a lot if positives for the 8400.

Could anyone give me a good combo for the ryzen 1600 mobo and ram?

The MSI Tomahawk B350 seems quite solid. Even with the cheapest Patriot 3200MHZ 16GB(which is well under £150) set it appears to get 3066MHZ with not much issue,and that is not Samsung B die.

Soldato
Had a fair few issues with the tomahawk myself. I'd be inclined to go with the b350 strix, although this costs a little more.

So far two builds with the B350 Tomahawk and zero issues with Ryzen 5 1600 CPUs so far. One with Adata XPG 2933MHZ RAM with the later AGESA runs at 2933MHZ - it was bought yonks ago. A newer build which I helped this week with and seems with some one or two tweaks got the cheapest 3200MHZ set(which cost £140) to get to 3066MHZ fine.

Also have mates who did builds with one of the cheaper ASRock B350 boards and the Ryzen 5 1400 and they seemed OK. Even with the cheapest 2400MHZ Kingston stuff,they could get it to run at 2667MHZ OK.

Edit!!

I remember you are the one who suggested to me to get the MSI B350 Tomahawk in the first place LOL. So far it seems fine.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I my self am buying a B350 Tomahawk and 1600 on payday.
It's a real bargain. And should support zen2 so the board/socket as a future unlike the intel option

Soldato
So far two builds with the B350 Tomahawk and zero issues with Ryzen 5 1600 CPUs so far. One with Adata XPG 2933MHZ RAM with the later AGESA runs at 2933MHZ - it was bought yonks ago. A newer build which I helped this week with and seems with some one or two tweaks got the cheapest 3200MHZ set(which cost £140) to get to 3066MHZ fine.

Also have mates who did builds with one of the cheaper ASRock B350 boards and the Ryzen 5 1400 and they seemed OK. Even with the cheapest 2400MHZ Kingston stuff,they could get it to run at 2667MHZ OK.

Edit!!

I remember you are the one who suggested to me to get the MSI B350 Tomahawk in the first place LOL. So far it seems fine.

Aye, at first it was decent. Going forward I've had a few issues with it. eg 2 sata ports no longer work 100% of the time, though moving the drive to another port and back again solves it? The MSI mystic light is also trash imo
The main issue I have with MSI is the support, the mods over there a idiots imo. Any complaint about the board or software will get deleted. Then when you submit a support ticket you get a generic response from someone that can barely string a sentence together.

Associate
OP
Aye, at first it was decent. Going forward I've had a few issues with it. eg 2 sata ports no longer work 100% of the time, though moving the drive to another port and back again solves it? The MSI mystic light is also trash imo
The main issue I have with MSI is the support, the mods over there a idiots imo. Any complaint about the board or software will get deleted. Then when you submit a support ticket you get a generic response from someone that can barely string a sentence together.
What board would you suggest for a over lockable 1600?

Soldato

So far so good,the first build was in May and the chap hasn't reported back any weirdness,but with the way Ryzen was rushed out I suspect those who jumped on at launch were BETA testers! :(

Is this a board I can over clock with?

Going from the reviews it seems fine with a Ryzen 5 1600,and I think one of my mates clocked it a bit using the stock cooler. The Asus B350-F Strix looks to be very good though,but expensive and in the PC build part of the forum the Gigabyte B350 Gaming models seem to be mentioned a bit.

I would say also ask in the Ryzen owners thread too.

Back
Top Bottom