• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

coffee lake i5 8400/8600k or ryzen 1600?

Soldato
TBF,outside certain niche examples if anyone even has a 5 year old Intel Core i5/Core i7 I would argue they are still good to go with most games with a reasonably fast graphics cards. People might talk about their 120/144/240HZ monitors and GSync/FreeSync but for most gamers out there its not really of any consequence - most are apparently happy with 30~60FPS in the game at 1080p if the most popular hardware configurations on Steam are anything to go by. But since this is a hardware enthusiasts forum its as much about oneupmanship and gear acquisition syndrome due to the cravings of new shiny to a degree. I mean I see people with perfectly fine(and quite new) AMD, Intel and Nvidia hardware ditching it because it is "slow" so they can buy the latest and greatest,except I have mates with some of the said hardware who seem to be getting great performance. OTH,its actually a good thing as it also means the secondhand market is flooded with relatively new gear so its actually an option even for me sometimes!! :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
That happens in all areas of life. We talk about politics, sport and so on and so forth with little experience. We have opinions about everything but it is what it is, it mostly opinion.

Of course you will only have an idea but an idea is all you need. We have copious amounts of information in the form of benchmarks, articles and others experiences. It's enough to gain a general idea of how a particular product will perform. Do we add our own preferences to it? Sure again that also happens in all walks of life.

I'm confident that I don't need to own either to understand how they would benefit me, If I thought they would I would go out and buy them but I understand that I want them more than need them.

Soldato
That happens in all areas of life. We talk about politics, sport and so on and so forth with little experience. We have opinions about everything but it is what it is, it mostly opinion.

Of course you will only have an idea but an idea is all you need. We have copious amounts of information in the form of benchmarks, articles and others experiences. It's enough to gain a general idea of how a particular product will perform. Do we add our own preferences to it? Sure again that also happens in all walks of life.

I'm confident that I don't need to own either to understand how they would benefit me, If I thought they would I would go out and buy them but I understand that I want them more than need them.

TBF,dude sometimes when I hear people say a particular card or CPU is slow(especially an older one) to run a game,etc it makes me cringe at times,when I see people in RL with such hardware running those games perfectly fine with dozens if not 100s of hours in said game.

Its why I increasingly go onto YT to check out certain channels which do test older hardware,or gamers who just put up their quick playthrough to see if something is truly unplayable. I find surprisingly enough it isn't,and if anything it shows you that sometimes people need to apply perspective to things,and why the PC rules over consoles for me still.

Last edited:
Associate
I was watching Gamers Nexus the other day and not too long ago they did a review of the 2600k to see how it holds up against today's CPU's. Obviously it gets smashed generally, but with a good overclock it's still a surprisingly capable processor.

Soldato
6 threads getting spanked in BF1.

I'm not sure you understand how cpus work. Just don't worry about thread/core utilisation. It's the end result that counts. If my cars performing great I don't check the efficiency of the engine.

Fact is a four core four thread intel cpu is ahead of the best Ryzen cpu when it comes to averaged out gaming performance.

Soldato
Interesting it gets good fps but is maxed out already. Shame it is not unlocked for overclocking.

My rx480 gives similar performance but cpu averages 30% playing bf1 with spikes into the 40%’s.

Soldato
Fact is a four core four thread intel cpu is ahead of the best Ryzen cpu when it comes to averaged out gaming performance.

So I assume you only have a 4C/4T Intel CPU and won't be upgrading to anything with more threads for the next 3 to 4 years??

Also,read this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-ryzen-5-1600-1600x-vs-core-i5-7500k-review

Anybody suggesting a 4C/4T Intel CPU for modern games over a 6C/6T Intel CPU or a 6C/12T AMD CPU in 2017 is wasting people's money,since people don't keep CPUs for a week,they keep them for years.

FFS,look at some of the reviews - a lot of reviewers are perplexed by the Core i3 8350k pricing when the Core i5 8400 and Ryzen 5 1600 are around the same cost.

Elsewhere, however, the race tightens up. The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider and especially Crysis 3 love frequency of course, but they also benefit heavily from as many cores and threads as you can throw at them, with both Ryzen 5s offering a significant advantage over Intel's stock Core i5. Here, Ryzen 5 sits comfortably at a mid-point between Core i5 and Core i7. However, not everything is as it seems based on the numbers alone. Assassin's Creed Unity posts a lead on the i5, but when studying performance at the per-scene level, i5 is pulling ahead in relatively empty scenes in our benchmark, with Ryzen 5 performing better in areas packed with NPCs. There's the suggestion that the i5 frame-rate average is boosted by big performance gains in less useful, more 'empty' rendering scenes. Similarly, in the Crysis 3 benchmark, the i5 and indeed i7's scores are skewed higher when the viewpoint shifts to similarly sparse scenes.

We've got a complete breakdown of this behaviour in our video review, but the bottom line is that it's not just different game engines that can favour i5 or Ryzen 5 processors - it can actually vary on a scene-by-scene nature in many games. And of course, therefore, results can vary depending very much on what scenes are chosen for benchmarking.

To illustrate, The Witcher 3's Novigrad City - our test area - can easily max an i5 quad with 100 per cent utilisation across all cores, and Ryzen 5 is faster here. However, benchmark a less demanding area or an engine-driven cut-scene and the i5 takes the lead. We've tried to tailor our tests to concentrate more on these heavier workloads and for our money Ryzen 5 is the more versatile, capable performer in areas where the CPU matters most in gaming.

The balance of power shifts when it comes to the more expensive Core i7 7700K - despite losing two cores up against the Ryzen 5s, enabling hyper-threading sees it power ahead in most of our tests, and even though Crysis 3 in particular makes such good use of AMD's many-core design, the 7700K is the only processor in the test suite here that will keep you above 60fps at all times. It's an excellent product, but you pay a hefty premium for that top-tier consistency in performance.

Sites like DF have basically said the Intel 4C/4T CPUs in more and more modern games show a disturbing trend - they start falling down in areas which are more complex.

I wouldn't touch a 4C/4T AMD/Intel CPU for anything but a budget build,but for any decentish gaming build in 2017 I suggest people go at least 6C/6T,4C/8T or 6C/12T now,if you want some longevity to your rig. The Core i5 8400,second hand SKL Core i7 or a Ryzen 5 1600 are all under £200 and are affordable so no need to go for a 4C/4T CPU in 2017 unless you have a budget of £100 for your CPU.

I mean someone must be mad to suggest getting a 4C/4T CPU now,especially with the consoles having 8 threads and Intel mainstream having at least 6C.

Intel is also moving to 8C/16T with its next range of CPUs too,and they want to sell more CPUs for gamers,so you wait and see they will push to make sure that there is a reason for people to upgrade from older CPUs.

I think we at an inflection point now - when cheap quads like the Q6600 came out,the old guard were still arguing to get dual cores,and the Q6600 ended up being one of the longest lived gaming CPUs in years.

Its the same here,the 4C/4T CPUs are now the dual cores of their eras. No need to get one when 6C/6T and 6C/12T are now so affordable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cat I'm sorry but you've completely wasted your time with your post. No where did I say I recommend going forward that people use a 4 c4t cpu. Go on read my post again a few times just to make sure.

Classic example of someone reading what they want to read into a post and then going off in a complete tangent.

I was simply pointing out that continually trolling BF1 as the reason to buy Ryzen isn't a great idea .

Soldato
Cat I'm sorry but you've completely wasted your time with your post. No where did I say I recommend going forward that people use a 4 c4t cpu. Go on read my post again a few times just to make sure.

Classic example of someone reading what they want to read into a post and then going off in a complete tangent.

I was simply pointing out that continually trolling BF1 as the reason to buy Ryzen isn't a great idea .

Yeah they have been using gta as an example as well, because the game uses all of the 8400 they say you should get ryzen instead even though in that game ryzen has mins in the 30's.

Makes no sence at all.

If the 8400 has 50% more frames doesn't matter if it's maxed out or not it's still the better choice.

Soldato
No where did I say I recommend going forward that people use a 4 c4t cpu.

I would not in a million years suggest anyone get a Core i3 8350K or Core i3 8100 over a Core i5 8400 or even a Ryzen 5 1600.

The fact is DF show,that even if the 4C/4T Intel CPUs looked good in practice the averages were bumped up artificially and that is increasingly being seen by comments on this forum. Its only going to get worse - Coffeelake is only a stopgap release by Intel,remember that!!

If Intel 10nm was not having issues we should have been on 10NM CPUs by now and they are meant to be 8C/16T. That is where the future is headed.

Yet it does not change the fact you also went with MOAR cores too. I can't say whether a Ryzen 5 1600 or Core i5 8400 will last longer,but you certainly went for more cores too,remember that.

Plenty here are also on HEDT 6C/12T too,and I would expect at least a reasonable number will be getting the Core i7 8700k??

Should we mock them too,since they went 6C/12T when the Core i5 8400 seems almost as fast as the Core i7 8700k(and faster than a stock Core i7 7800X)??

Dunno.

I suppose that is the point - people are so used for the last 5 years to ignore AMD as a CPU choice due to the failure of Bulldozer,that younger people are shocked AMD might be also considered for builds.

This is pretty much normal for most of us oldies,since we grew up during the time of the K6,Athlon,etc where Intel and AMD were trading blows or leapfrogging each other at each release.

It was a glorious time to be interested in PCs.

Last edited:
Soldato
All I see is the 6 thread bottlenecking the 1070, even the 7700k is not pushed this much, 6 cores aint enough. My advise would be get the 12 thread CPUs be it Intel or AMD.

A ryzen 1700 also bottlenecks a 1070.
Also take the gpu utilisation with a pinch of salt. Some recording software/settings will hammer most cpus.
Did you see my destiny2 video? Even with 16 threads the 1700 couldn't push the 1070 to 100%

Soldato
BTW,OP,Techspot said they will be doing a 30 game comparison of the Coffeelake CPUs with Ryzen,etc in the near future. It should also mean we can see performance after the August patch in PUBG.

They did the test before the patch,but I am not sure how it holds today.

Soldato
BTW,OP,Techspot said they will be doing a 30 game comparison of the Coffeelake CPUs with Ryzen,etc in the near future. It should also mean we can see performance after the August patch in PUBG.

They did the test before the patch,but I am not sure how it holds today.

Very little increases to be had now outside of game updates. The stilt over at ocn said expect no more updates after 1.0.0.6b as their attention is now on something else, probably Zen refresh.

Soldato
Very little increases to be had now outside of game updates. The stilt over at ocn said expect no more updates after 1.0.0.6b as their attention is now on something else, probably Zen refresh.

I am talking about the August patch for PUBG!! :p

This one:
http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/108880-playerunknowns-battlegrounds-now-hexacore-cpu-optimised/

The only test I could see from a review site was from Techspot but before August:

https://techspot-static-xjzaqowzxaoif5.stackpathdns.com/articles-info/1450/bench/Battlegrounds.png

That was with a GTX1080TI at 1080p and the game is capped to 144FPS.

I previously benchmarked PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds at the starting area where everyone runs around waiting for the game to begin. This was a mistake for a few reasons. First, it's extremely difficult to gather reliable data here and second it's significantly more demanding than the actual gameplay because you don't typically experience this many players in such a small area when playing. I'm now testing within the game, dropping into the same location each time and then following the same path over 60 seconds for an average of three runs.

OFC,I don't know since then if things have changed,or if they introduced more things into the game which causes more CPU usage,so its why I didn't link it before.

Its the main problem with Early Access games,since things can change quite dramatically at times!

Back
Top Bottom