Coil Spring Snapped

Associate
Often if one goes the other is very close behind.

When my front left one cracked at the base I place an order for some new front springs, whilst waiting for delivery the other front one cracked.

Following that logic the OP should probably replace all 4 !

Soldato
It's advised to replace in pairs, especially if fitting a non-genuine part which will most likely have different spring rates.

I work in the trade, and always advise this. 95% of customers only want the one replaced.

Caporegime
Meh, I've been passenger in a car when the front left spring went through the tyre at speed. Wasn't that dramatic tbh, inconvenient that we couldn't get the jack under with a flat tyre and half a spring though.

Would be a different story if a rear spring though Superman.

Soldato
Following that logic the OP should probably replace all 4 !

Not really, the front and rear springs will wear more in pairs, there's a lot more weight at the front of a car and the front springs will generally do a lot more work from constantly braking and accelerating. Also you don't want a nice stiff new spring on one side and a tired old floppy one on the other.. Common sense when you think about it.

Soldato
i have driven a car with just one spring replaced couldn't tell the difference.
front one as well.

As stated, not really the point, in an extreme situation, like emergency braking at high speed, the car could become more unbalanced.. It's not like springs are expensive in terms oo car maintenance.

Soldato
Good to see cars are built down to a price, not up to a quality these days. Snapped springs used to be rare, now it's normal :(

It isnt so much about cost, it is about "Emissions"

The springs are made lighter and are therefore more highly stressed and more vulnerable to failure.

This of course blows any concept of "Diminishing returns" out of the window, for the sake of saving a couple of g/Km or a fraction of an MPG cars today are fitted with expensive and potentially lethal time bombs that can go off with no warning and will likely cost the average owner far more over the vehicles lifetime than any possible saving in fuel (or even emissions when the other factors are taken into consideration).

More green nonsense! :mad:

Soldato
Yes, he's replacing the snapped one...

The springs share an even load (except when cornering ofc) and will wear out at roughly the same rate, if one has worn out and snapped then the other one that has shared an even load will be heading the same way. Is it not better to get them both done at the same time instead of just waiting for the other to go (which it may do in a dangerous situation).

Caporegime
They don't fail due to use only, they fail due to corrosion causing a stress raiser which eventually opens up a crack due to fatigue cycles.

I'd replace both just for piece of mind, any rust issue is likely to affect both sides

Soldato
Always replace both sides if possible. Also rear springs are literally a 5mins job. No need to compress springs for rear. For the Astra its wheel off and one bolt. Garage will charge one hour for both. Should be less than £100 for both inc parts.

Back
Top Bottom