• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Coil whine?

On mine I have

Real time Ratio Changes in OS Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) Disabled
C3/C6 Statue Enabled
CPU EIST Function Disabled

I think its the first option you may be thinking of, not sure what the setting would be for Asus board. This lets mine downclock to 1.6ghz.

These are my settings:

http://imgur.com/wNAR1 (size too big to embed)

I just undid my overclock but for some reason its still showing as 4200.0 MHz in CPU-Z :confused:

EDIT: With those settings and EIST & C1E both enabled it's still showing as 4200.0MHz in CPU-Z.

Last edited:
i5n7tv.jpg

a0f3g6.jpg

^^^not sure on this(epu power saving mode),havnt tested it,left it disabled

heres what worked for me,speedstep and c1e disabled and cpu downclocked at idle in windows

Last edited:
i5n7tv.jpg

^^^not sure on this(epu power saving mode),havnt tested it,left it disabled

heres what worked for me,speedstep and c1e disabled and cpu downclocked at idle in windows

Figured out what was different between mine and yours, I had that C3 and C6 set to auto, once I set it to enabled it runs at idle again. The whine is still kind of there but better than before, thank you :)

That would worry me even more.

The whine you hear is a vibration. Coils buzz and vibrate. But, they are supposed to be secured in resin so you don't hear it.

Yours obviously has poor parts on and I would RMA it at once. Infact, come to think of it I wouldn't pee around in my bios trying to change settings on my CPU and motherboard to make it go away when it's clearly the card at fault.

its mostly the psu thats the cause,its electromagnetic interference between the mb's vrm's and the cpu power saving states,they use solid caps now on mb's so it cant be coil vibration

with corsairs quality rma service you might be able to rma the psu for another unit? i would do that first before changing the gpu,even then its hit and miss when finding a psu/mb/gpu combo that produces no noise whatsoever

like i said its totally normal to hear very faint whine in game menus ect but not in the game itself or while watching films listening to music,esp through the speakers and headphones,even moving the mouse around on the screen can produce the noise,thats very bad examples though

Last edited:
its mostly the psu thats the cause,its electromagnetic interference between the mb's vrm's and the cpu power saving states,they use solid caps now on mb's so it cant be coil vibration

with corsairs quality rma service you might be able to rma the psu for another unit? i would do that first before changing the gpu,even then its hit and miss when finding a psu/mb/gpu combo that produces no noise whatsoever

like i said its totally normal to hear very faint whine in game menus ect but not in the game itself or while watching films listening to music,esp through the speakers and headphones,even moving the mouse around on the screen can produce the noise,thats very bad examples though

I don't hear the noise now when i'm playing a game/music/wearing headphones. It's only noticeable at night when the house is dead quiet and i'm reading. It doesn't seem too bad now to make me want to RMA it.

atleast it reduces it by turning off speedstep/c1e,it was like my x58 ud5 i had to do the same and it was fine after,i was too tight to spend on a better psu at the time

Wow that's great so by disabling half of the functions on your CPU you can reduce the noise !

In all seriousness that's BS, and that card would be in the City Link lorry as we speak.

it still downclocks the cpu,its just controlled by the os not the bios/mb

99% its psu not gpu,ive gone through all of this and believe me i tried everything,gigabyte tried to deny the problem along with other brands,only thing that solved it was swapping psu for another brand and voila no noise

went through three different mb's and graphic cards asus/gigabyte/sapphire

just google gigabyte squeal and see how rife the issue is

I can't guarantee it's the gpu but since I installed it that's when the noise started so i'm sure its that (could be PSU but doubt it) Thanks for any help.

i would do that first before changing the gpu,even then its hit and miss when finding a psu/mb/gpu combo that produces no noise whatsoever

If there was no whine before the new gpu, then why is it hit and miss?

The new hardware is more than likely the cause.

It does it when I have chrome and couple of other small applications up.

That's an extremely bad example.

I know you don't want to send your shiny new card back for rma, the hassles but more so the cost due to testing/return postage due to it probably passing is not worth the hassle, so DSR it and replace it with a new one, that way you only take a small hit.

You can kid yourself on that it's acceptable but in the long run it will drive you mental, by posting on here it is an annoyance in the first place and you've only had the card a couple of days.

Listen to Andy and send it back, you have paid a premium for Nvidia's best, so demand the best, do the sensible thing and replace it before you feel like throwing it out the window as it will only get worse in the long run.

How long have you spent already mucking about in the bios, trawling the internet/forums for a fix that shouldn't be needed instead of enjoying your new purchase?

Back
Top Bottom