• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Coil whine?

Unfortunately I think you're right Tommy, I really don't wanna send this back over something so small but potentially so big =/.

I don't notice it at all when gaming, but when idle at night that's when it starts and worries me.

The new gpu probably emits more emi than the old one hence the noise? Some psu's are better shielded than others

If it was the PSU the noise would be coming from the PSU.

Just as when an Asrock I had started squealing, it was the board.

Whilst it still worked perfectly well I was not prepared to put up with the noise.

It's down to shoddy components. So if Gigabyte cards are rife with it then I would never entertain one knowing that.

I repeat. A £430 card should not squeal. Heck, my friend bought a MSI 460 Cyclone and it squealed so he sent it back.

It's not helped by the fact that that noise is incredibly irritating.

If you are worried about paying the return shipping then the simple answer is find a online store that sorts it out for you so you don't have to pay for some one else's mistakes in QC.

I know of plenty.

Unfortunately I think you're right Tommy, I really don't wanna send this back over something so small but potentially so big =/.

I don't notice it at all when gaming, but when idle at night that's when it starts and worries me.

Of course he is right. That's a £430 GPU and you are the only one on this forum who has complained about it making that noise.

It's not right mate.

Gigabyte mb's not gpu,do whatever you feels best,no1 is an expert on these things I can only speak from experience,mostly its psu,but doesn't rule out faulty gpu or even the mb

If you can live with onboard graphics for a few weeks and they accept your rma and insist on a replacement then by all means go for it

If you can live with onboard graphics for a few weeks and they accept your rma and insist on a replacement then by all means go for it

Chances are they won't accept an rma as I outlined above, they will send the card back due to it working under normal circumstances, chances are they won't even hear the whine, ambient noise is totally different in a working environment compared to late at night with a PC in idle.

DSR it and that way you guarantee that you can get a new one.

Last edited:
Chances are they won't accept an rma as I outlined above, they will send the card back due to it working under normal circumstances.

DSR it and that way you guarantee that you can get a new one.

Indeed.

I tell you what man, it's quite shocking what retailers expect us to live with, but I bet if it were their chuffing rig they would have the bugger sent back in a heartbeat :mad:

Yep, they wouldn't keep it so why should you.

You've worked in a PC store haven't you Andy?

You'll know what I'm talking about if that was sent back under rma.

I'm to old in the tooth to accept shoddy goods, straight back they go now, the consumer has the right of DSR, which prevents crap excuses that cost you half a leg to get in the first place.

Last edited:
Yeah mate ran one in London for several years.

Thankfully I wasn't deeply involved in retail. Was a triple fronted business. One end of it was all about networking and we had service contracts with schools and stuff, middle was more about selling printers and media and ink, my end was the repairs.

So mostly we didn't order in bulk stock of PC parts as we used to get raped for being a semi small business.

Interesting factoid. When Alan Sugar decided to stop making computers my boss bought Amstrad :)

So we were the UK's only Amstrad dealer lmao. We used to do drive conversions and that to the old Amstrad PCs. Funny really, as even when I left for the USA in 2001 we were still getting them in every day for repairs.

Haha, mostly belonged to old folk who didn't want to have to learn how to use Windows :D

Might be worth noting I also had a H100 installed the same day I got my GPU. Gonna have to RMA the H100 because the pump been making a loud noise.

Gonna try and locate the exact point where the noise is. Gonna find out more about how the retailer I bought it from handles DSR.

Last edited:
I get a whine noise on my EVGA GTX680, but its only audible when I exit Heaven 3.0 and you see the credits screen (where you press Esc to exit). Other than that I never hear it :/

My coils squeal like crazy at high FPS and my PSU is top one.

Poor quality PCI-E cables are to blame in a lot of cases, I swapped my heavy duty Silverstone ones for nice looking, slim Bifenix ones and I reckon they are the root cause for my noise.

This is why the noise does not appear when using 2D clocks, the power draw is much lower.

Frame limiters like the one in MSI Afterburner help a lot when playing games and not benching. This is the reason why V-Sync helps as it limits the FPS output to the monitor refresh rate and not maxing out the cards (in most cases).

My coils squeal like crazy at high FPS and my PSU is top one.

Poor quality PCI-E cables are to blame in a lot of cases, I swapped my heavy duty Silverstone ones for nice looking, slim Bifenix ones and I reckon they are the root cause for my noise.

This is why the noise does not appear when using 2D clocks, the power draw is much lower.

Frame limiters like the one in MSI Afterburner help a lot when playing games and not benching. This is the reason why V-Sync helps as it limits the FPS output to the monitor refresh rate and not maxing out the cards (in most cases).

Wow this is a new finding for me, not heard of coil swealing before. Damn it why can't things just work :/

I have VSYNC enabled and FPS limiter to 60 in games so it never comes up. It only rears its ugly head when I EXIT Heaven 3.0 and you see the credits screen where you press Esc to get to Desktop. During the benchmark I dont hear any squealing at all *FPS Limiter and sync are off obviously).

Wonder what's happening at that screen? Is it because the GPU is switching from 3D to 2D?

Last edited:
Wow this is a new finding for me, not heard of coil swealing before. Damn it why can't things just work :/

My personal opinion is that these things draw too much juice now (some setups draw 1.2-1.5KW) and many current cabling/psu manufacturers just have not kept up in terms of quality of components.

As well as high-end PSU and PCI-E cables some people also purchase a higher-end GPU card (yep even more expensive) with a custom capacitor/pcb design (Asus DCU, MSI Lightning), this should help with the noise as they deal with the electical controls and limits better by using top end circuitry.

A 2 year old Corsair HX620 is high end right? and I'm using the cables that came with it too. I'm going to listen carefully tonight with my head in the case to pinpoint the squealing.

Back
Top Bottom