• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Coming back to CPU's after 10 years...

Soldato
Hi all,

It's time to move on from my i5 750. I've just upgraded from a 980ti to a 1080ti so now even though I still feel my I5 750 at 4.2Ghz is quick. I am definitely way out of date.

So basically because I've not been in the market for so long I feel like an absoloute novice and basically starting again overclocking etc!

Anyway. Heard theres this new coffee cake (lake?) thing coming out. Am I best waiting for that?

I guess I'll need new memory etc aswell.

Happy I got 10 years out of my I5 750, you could say it's paid for itself a number of times over.

But in order to move forwards I do need to upgrade.

Soldato
Given that you purchased a mainstream model of the Nehalem, I bet the upcoming i7-8700K is definitely something worth waiting for, at least the benchmark numbers. I can see that you mention your graphics card so I bet the rig will be used for gaming, which means the HEDT models may be less than ideal.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that, I can't believe how long ago it was now, probably the best cpu I had maybe I'll glass frame it on my wall as it's lasted so long :D

So at this moment I'm probably best just waiting on for the i7-8700k with new motherboard / memory.

Yes purely gaming.

Soldato
Wow.. you are in for a serious performance increase even if you feel the i5 750 aged well. I'd wait for some reviews coming round, to see what ticks the boxes for you. The 8700K is 6 cores/12 threads , and the equivalent to what you have now is the i5 8600K which is 6 cores/6 threads, so no Hyper-threading.

You'll also get the benefits of fast DDR4 RAM, NVMe SSD (if you want), PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.1 (Gen2) inc. Type-C, actual decent on-board audio from some motherboards, and all the RGB crap they put on them :p

AMD is also a serious option to consider these days, especially if you want best performance per pound spent, rather than just the fastest possible, given your choice of graphics card, I guess you don't care about the cost too much? :)

Soldato
You've picked a good time to upgrade.
Intel are just about to push the 8700K which is going to be a monster leap up for you
AMD have already launched the Ryzen lineup which will also be a monster leap up for you

The world is your oyster.

Soldato
I just upgraded from a 2500k that I absolutely loved! Best CPU in a long while I reckon.

I ended up going for a Ryzen 5 CPU after flip flopping between Intel and AMD options, I think bang for buck it was the best option for me.

Soldato
Thanks guys gives me enough time to clear the old credit card ready for 8700k autumn upgrade

Don't write off AMD's Ryzen chips without doing your research :) Good chance that the 8700k will have better single-thread performance, but a Ryzen 1800X has 2 more cores and 4 more threads and I'll lay odds it will do some jobs better and most jobs similarly while pulling less electricities from your plug and dumping less heat into your room.

I do agree with waiting for the benchmarks to come out, but it's certainly not a one horse race. The close competition this year is lovely to see :)

Soldato
In your case, unless you NEED the upgrade for stuff you're playing now, I'd consider holding off a bit longer. My wife actually has a similar machine to you, albeit an i5-760, which didn't overclock well. Last night we actually ordered an i7-870 to replace it as a temporary stand in (and we'll throw a bit more RAM in it as well), hopefully netting her a better clocker, and the extra logical threads at the same time. The chip only cost £40, so felt like worth a shot and should let her hold out a little longer assuming not a dud/completely incapable overclocker, especially now those threads are actually being used, and then do a complete revamp in the new year.

The reason I would try and avoid spending now is as follows:
AMD's new Zen architecture came out firing more guns then Intel or many of us expected they ever would, much more competitive on IPC/Cores and pricing than we'd dared hope, so now we have Intel trying to react, and ultimately Zen 2 will be where things get really interesting; AMD will have had chance to refine and mature the chips a little, work on improving clock speeds, and tweaking things in the arch to improve IPC further, so its no longer brand new arch on a brand new node for them; and Intel will have had time to start preparing proper reactions, rather than kneejerks.

All in, proper competition!
First and Second Gen I-Series processors have all lasted a long time...6/7 years in PC timescales is a lifespan :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow that's a surprise to me
But it's a bad time to upgrade. There are too many options.
Opinions get confused as fact, reviews are often flawed and my be biased. You might as well find a few CPU's in the price range you're willing to pay and chuck a few numbered straws in the air or something.
Of course I'm joking but I do wonder how many are buying CPU's that are probably not optimal for their use. Need to decide what you're going to use a new CPU for and apply common sense.
I'm personally still afraid of an AMD purchase but might be tempted.
For gaming mostly, I think you won't go far wrong with the new 8700K when it arrives.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just get a 7700K

Makes sense as long as the 7700K costs less than a Ryzen 1600 and you're not intending on keeping the system for 10 years.

Right now I'd look at the 1700 or 1700X, though the 8400 looks promising for the price but it's on a iffy platform. Will need to see what the Z370 chipset brings to the table.

Soldato
Just get a 7700K

If he keeps his CPUs for years then a quadcore cpu, IMO, isnt' the right choice.

Depending on your budget OP, you will be getting new MOBO, RAM and CPU. Performance for money is Ryzen, money no object then is INTEL.

Personally I'd say an 8 core 1700 Ryzen chip is your ticket. 4 years down the line perhaps 8 core will be the norm....

Back
Top Bottom