** Coming soon ** - High quality Rollei Action Cams!!

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I am borrowing a 5S to go snowboarding with on monday :)

so you all get to see the quality of the camera whilst enjoying footage of me tumbling down a hill like an elaborate helicopter crash :D

Soldato
It becomes brand snobbery when the product (a PC) becomes a "microsoft" which it isn't. Apple products becomes both "Apple" and "Mac" which is what it is.

Rollei are "action" or "sports" cams.
GoPro are "action" or "sports" cams but referred to as a "GoPro".

That's why your looking at brand snobbery here but unlike apple, most will indeed have and use the gopro over an alternative which levitates it some what.

So anyone owning a "hoover" not a "vaccum cleaner" is a brand snob too?

Caporegime
Interested in getting one of these, was looking at the gopro myself a mth or so back as i do quite a bit of snowboarding myself. Not so much these days as i dont get much a chance to go to Canada during the winter to do it.

But im off for a few weeks xmas/new yrs time so definitely going to get some snowboarding done and id like to get one of these....hmmm decisions decisions:p

Soldato
no lee as a hoover is a hoover as its nane is like that of an orange, its colour is orange and it is orange.

You hoover the house regardless. Brand snobbery here would probably be Dyson if we're honest.

Buying something of better quality is not brand snobbery. A decent dyson is better quality than your average Tesco's own brand vacuum cleaner, a GoPro Hero is better quality than the Rollei camera's you're selling, people pay for quality, you should know this .. you own a Mac.

Associate
Id like to have a look at one of these, I recently upgraded from a GoPro2 to the GoPro3 Black edition, I got it for £325 with the LCD BacPac which I sold on ebay for £60.

I got the 2 to replace my EOS350D and Sigma 10-20mm lense which was awfully heavy to jump with, for taking stills of tandem skydives and occasional video and have to say it is the dog nads, the build quality is excellent and it is more feature rich that the Rollei, which from the video looks rather plasticy and lower build quality.

I use the GoPro as an everyday work camera subjecting it to pretty harsh conditions and I think its well worth the extra cost.

Soldato
Spot on!

I know.. and I got rid of me Hero2 because it was better than the Rollei :rolleyes:

Oh wait lol!

Exactly. When they are both in your possesion put under the same test then you can call one out as being better.

These look great and if I had a justifiable reason I'd buy one because I think the GoPro's are stupidly priced, in fact people asking for advice on what to buy for a dash cam come up all the time on another forum, atleast I have something not overly priced (In my opinion) to recommend.

Soldato
The 4S has piqued my interest, but I have a couple of questions:

Is the battery removable?

I’m interested in mounting this on my mountain bike, but the frame has oversized tubing - http://imgur.com/a/cmzmB#15

I don’t know any technical terms for this sort of thing, but are there a variety of mounting clamps and extender arms so I could mount it facing in any direction or extended out from the mounting point?

Hopefully you'll get what I mean.

Soldato
Nice price if you want a more value action camera.

As far as comparisons go, so much more than just accessories in the box and on paper technical specs. Look at low light recording, whether you get shutter roll, mic recording quality. Even a paper comparison exercise highlights some pretty big differences. GoPro Hero 3 Black will do 1080p at 60fps, Rollei only 30fps.

GoPro are the established name, and you will pay a little bit of a premium for that, but you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think you can pay significantly less for exactly the same.

Andrew Moore - Your opening post just tends to slate GoPro. Just because you sell a competing product? If you want to sell these as Gopros for less than get out there with the models you are selling and do an actual side by side comparison to a GoPro Black. Instead of just singing the virtues of this product as an equal standing option show people as such. Sounds like you have used a Hero 2 previously...not good enough - The Hero 3 Black is OBNOXIOUSLY better than it's predecessors.

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Sin chase. As I mentioned above. I am taking one to the snowdome with me tomorrow. In honesty, I know absolutely nothing about action cams other than go pro are the go-to brand.

I will put whatever I record online with minimal editing so that you guys can see what it works like.

Action cameras is a group that Andrew Moore looks after, so it is of no benefit to me if the quality is better than go pro or whatever.

In this instance, I am a consumer in the market for an action camera and lucky enough to have the opportunity to try one out before buying.

Will try to do some outside footage also.

Back
Top Bottom