1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comments on console chipping or other piracy related talk.

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Burnsy2023, Jun 12, 2009.

1. shauncr91

Capodecina

Burnsy, can you please verify exactly what is allowed and isn't? I find this thread rather vague...

Yesterday evening I had a thread regarding the modification of 360 hard drives, which was then deleted a few hours later. I resorted to this thread prior to making it and saw no violation of rules, I have emailed another mod as per the rules but have as of yet to receive a response. This is the second hardware modding thread I have seen cleared up in as many weeks.

What are we allowed to discuss? Post #14 in this thread seems to contradict my thread being deleted and I don't want to find myself or others banned/suspended in the future for discussing modifications.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

Sorry, I've only just seen this.

Does it infringe on any proprietary IP, is it legal and what are the potential consequences?

3. shauncr91

Capodecina

Thanks for the response.

As for the proprietary IP I'm fairly certain it doesn't. The mod is completely legal and all it is, is the following:

Opening Xbox 360 HDD enclosure, replacing the 2.5" drive with your own which contains the files needed for the console to detect it as a HDD. After that it functions exactly the same as a normal off the shelf drive and provides no extra features to the user at all, all it allows you to do is put a larger drive in the enclosure without paying the bloated Microsoft prices for one off the shelf. Just like buying a cheap laptop then putting your own drive in instead of paying inflated prices for it to be done at the manufacturer.

As I said, it offered no ability for piracy or anything even like it which is why I was left rather confused.

4. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

To perform this mod you have to download a "unique" security file, which I don't believe can be talked about here. People asking how to obtain this file is what causes the issues.

5. Th3D0n

Wise Guy

Are we aloud to talk about roms for mobiles ?????

6. Shamikebab

Caporegime

Yeah you are, I've often wondered why that is allowed and this isn't. Are roms legal?

7. Th3D0n

Wise Guy

http://www.smartphonemag.com/cms/blogs/3/aximsite_yes_to_hacked_cooked_but_still

8. ThestigGT999

Soldato

good idea

9. Zowghi

Gangster

Is it legal to play a rom on the pc if you own the original game?

10. uv

Sgarrista

Hi there :)

Now that homebrew on the PS3 is much easier and no longer requires chipping etc due to the whole METLDR furore, I'd just like to ask - how come Jailbreak discussion is allowed for i-Devices in the Apple Software subforum, but homebrew/jailbreak threads are not allowed for the PS3 in the Console subforum? Does the legality of both situations differ? I understand the obvious issues regarding piracy, but I'd love to be able to discuss real, legal homebrew?

Cheers :)

11. Maccy

Commissario

This is currently being discussed amongst the Dons.

I'll check this out too and get back to you.

12. Hitman_Leon

Man of Honour

My launch day xbox360 now has a big chip in it, I launched it out of the bedroom window after it gave 3 red lights error,been fixed by ms in 2008 the first time it did it but alas warranty is out, concrete sure dose chip plastic well :eek:,

oh well got a new slim one on its way...........

13. Wispy

Gangster

You and the path outside your house should go into business together. You'll make a fortune chipping xbox 360's or indeed anything else made out of plastic.

I think it's only a short term plan, with probably little or no repeat business

:cool:

14. mattjd

Wise Guy

Hacking the PS3 has lead to the original hacker (Geohot) being sued by Sony so I am guessing it is illegal. Whereas jailbreaking/unlocking iPod's/Phone's is legal.

It is legal to own the original ROM of a game if you own the original and you are also allowed to own 1 backup of a game/movie/cd.

Chipping is legal in the UK but it is not in the US. I've seen DS flashcarts being sold on the highstreet... That says it all really.

15. DazAutomatik

Associate

I cant see really why anyone would want to chip or make illegal games we want the developers to push the boundries and make games better and more awsome. And you can pick up preowned now for so cheap so whats the point. But i am interested in wheather discussions can be made in relation to modding the kinnect as microsoft have openly invited this now to get interesting results on how it can be used is this allowed?

16. Emjeadea

Gangster

Piracy is what is making the developers use crap tactics to stop like codes for online play which also is affecting the second hand market please people you need to stop

17. DAIR

Sgarrista

Wrong. They do it to receive royalties from second hand games.

18. K1LLSW1TCH

Caporegime

That is not true in all cases and I don't think it's legal in America at all, regardless of whether you own the original or not.

19. koolpc

Capodecina

Is it ok to talk about homebrew beer? lol

20. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

Only if you give me samples.