COMPANY OF HEROES 2

Don
BLAM!, sausage meat, everywhere!

A fully-fledged sequel to the critically acclaimed Company of Heroes was today confirmed for release in early 2013. Moving away from its predecessor’s focus on the Western Front of World War II, Company of Heroes 2 takes gamers to the Eastern Front, putting players in control of the Soviet Union’s Red Army and pitting them against the Nazis in 1941.

While the first image seems to suggest the sequel will play a lot like the first game, it does now utilise Relic Entertainment’s new Essence 3.0 engine, which brings higher graphical fidelity, more destructible environments, and gameplay mechanics described only as “innovative Dynamic Battle Tactis” and “new Commander Abilities”.

“Company of Heroes 2 is a true successor, introducing a new front, new protagonists and new technology while retaining the unique mix of strategic gameplay and competitive multiplayer that made the original Company of Heroes such a success,” said Greg Wilson, the game’s producer at Relic Entertainment.

The game will be released exclusively for PC and will be apparently followed by a “strong post-launch digital content plan” (read: lots of DLC). You can find out more on the game’s official website at companyofheroes.com.

Sounds promising!

Last edited:
Soldato
modern combat is a serious let down.

its more like a re skin mod, the us has the same voice actions as the origional game.

the chinese use the american voices, wtf is with that.

Soldato
Only found out about it a while back, brilliant mod with loads of new vehicles and enhanced command tree.

Don't play online yet, but was starting up a skirmish the other day, and before I knew it, some peeps had dropped in. Oh well, I knew I was going to get my butt kicked but thought what the hell.

Anyhoo, played a 2 v 2 and my comrade was lagging a lot, and a panel kept popping up asking if I wanted to kick or keep. I ignored the kick option even though the lag seemed to get worse. Towards the end of the game either he dropped out (we were losing) or the game kicked him, and I noticed a "dispute" on my stats.

So did someone get the hump or what? And what does a dispute mean?
No wonder I don't venture online lolz.

that same pannel goes to the other guys as well, they may have voted to kick. the dispute goes towards ur stats. this can contribute to the computer making the decision on who wins during a drop hack.

drop hack being that some muppet pulls his netwrok cable out and forces the game to crash. the computer later decides who should win the game.

Soldato
modern combat is a serious let down.

its more like a re skin mod, the us has the same voice actions as the origional game.

the chinese use the american voices, wtf is with that.

I haven't tried this mod but at least you can understand what the chinese are saying. In the eastern front mod, the russian units speak russian. What bloody use is that?!? lol

Associate
This is great news - still play CoH today and have played since beta.

I just hope they sort out the stability of the online play for CoH2. Would be great if they just use Steam for this; though I guess their tracking of matches would mean they have to use their own solution.

The stability and lag of online games is a killer for the first one. Generally I find when playing with mates is to just forget about a 4v4 match as the you will get NAT negotiation failures between to many of the people (even though all ports are forwarded) and if you do all get into the game connections either won't hold or one or more people will lag out. Makes it unplayable imo.

Permabanned
This is great news - still play CoH today and have played since beta.

I just hope they sort out the stability of the online play for CoH2. Would be great if they just use Steam for this; though I guess their tracking of matches would mean they have to use their own solution.

The stability and lag of online games is a killer for the first one. Generally I find when playing with mates is to just forget about a 4v4 match as the you will get NAT negotiation failures between to many of the people (even though all ports are forwarded) and if you do all get into the game connections either won't hold or one or more people will lag out. Makes it unplayable imo.

Mine works fine on BT. I did have problems with the game when I was on o2 though, couldn't find many games and the games that were available I usually got a NAT error. Disabling UPNP might help in your router.

Soldato
I am with BT and have no issues finding games and connecting. I used to have the old White BT Home Hub and I could never get a game with that. Changed router and everything worked fine. Also fixed the issues I would have with BF BC2.

Associate
I am with Sky; maybe I will contact them and ask for a router upgrade - mine is 5 years old. However they will probably only do such a thing as part of a support issue/ticket. Will try though.

However; it is a problem that plagues a lot of my mates who are on various providers so really their netcode is pretty shakey. None of us have any issues with any other game online.

Associate
Anyone worried about Relic with this

They really took the P*** with DLC with the latest DoW games

im worried they are going to pull the same **** with this :(

I would imagine it is THQ as the publisher pushing the DLC agenda and not Relic as the developer, considering the financial difficulties THQ is in at the moment which have been on going for some time if they can generate additional revenue through DLC they will.

How this will work with COH I'm not sure, additional nations in Multiplayer is a possible option but they are more likely to release quasi-expansions like they did with the original

Permabanned
NAT problem is a big pain in the ass! I play the blitzkreig mod everyday is the eastern front mod more popular?

I've tried most of the popular mods and for me blitzkreig is the best. More units, maps and it still keeps a balance to the game. The Russians in eastern front are very overpowered imo.

Caporegime
looks good but then coh still looks amazing too.

also i see in the screen shot, tank warfare at 30 feet again. i know its not a sim but in coh sometimes the tank ramming and blocking from behind is a tad off. the tanks themselves barely have the range of an mg42...

or another way to look at it is that a pzfaust has a range of 35 and a panzer iv range of 40..
i understand balance and fun but was hoping fora slightly rangier affair this time.

Back
Top Bottom