Compatibly - a D15 + Dark Pro memory and 400q?

Soldato
Helping a guy with a pre-existing build - he needs to reduce the weight of his PC but silence and cooling is still a priority (he has a toasty 7700K which at present is kept remarkably cool).

He'll be moving from a bequiet full tower and 280mm rad to hopefully (reducing weight by ~7Kg):

• Corsair 400Q case (case dimensions and look are important to his needs - carefully chosen)
  • D15 cooler
  • with existing Team Group Dark Pro x 2 8Gb
The tall memory is a concern and on paper measurements appear to be within tolerance but it's too close for comfort to pull the trigger until confirmed by someone in the know.

The D15 is 165MM and the case max cooler height is reportedly 170mm. The 5mm play is a little disconcerting when factoring in the tall memory.

I realise that the fan on the D15 can be raised slightly or he could even take the tops off his memory - but the latter is not ideal (He would probably choose to move to low profile if the memory had to be customised).

Basically, is there the room - will the above combined case, cooling and memory work together with slight fan adjustment only if required?

Any hand on experience appreciated.

Total Spec:
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming K5
CPU Intel Core i7-7700K
RAM Team Group Dark Pro 16GB 3000MHz
GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Premier Pack
SSD1 Samsung 960 Evo Polaris 500GB
SSD2 Samsung 960 Evo Polaris 500GB
SSD3 Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
PSU Super Flower Leadex Platinum 650W

Last edited:
Soldato
Been talking to him on another forum .. at least someone with same case, motherboard and GPU.
Team Group Dark Pro is 44.15mm tall complete, and 37mm with top removed. Removing the tops is not a problem at all. Modern RAM does not need any heat spreaders at all and some testing has show 'heat spreader' to actually cause RAM to run hotter.

Anyway, with top of heatspreader taken of we have 177 for RAM and 140mm fan. Case CPU clearance is 170mm and we add 5mm to get RAM and fan clearance of 175mm .. that is 2mm less than we need by these calculations. If you can measure the RAM to case clearance you might find it to be 140mm, but that would be very lucky and I don't believe in luck.

Soldato
OP
Hey doyll, thanks - i was hoping your experience would make an appearance.

Team Group Dark Pro is 44.15mm tall complete, and 37mm with top removed. Removing the tops is not a problem at all. Modern RAM does not need any heat spreaders at all and some testing has show 'heat spreader' to actually cause RAM to run hotter.
Agreed, but i don't think the concept of removing the tops is that appealing to him.

Anyway, with top of heatspreader taken of we have 177 for RAM and 140mm fan. Case CPU clearance is 170mm and we add 5mm to get RAM and fan clearance of 175mm .. that is 2mm less than we need by these calculations. If you can measure the RAM to case clearance you might find it to be 140mm, but that would be very lucky and I don't believe in luck.

Brilliant - thanks for clarification doyll, appreciated.

I think the D15s is fast becoming the heatsink of choice - with hardly any compromise...

Cant you just move the "front" fan on the noctua to the rear?
Thanks, yes, considered this - even total removal of fan.

Was just needing standard config confirmation.

Soldato
Hey doyll, thanks - i was hoping your experience would make an appearance.

Agreed, but i don't think the concept of removing the tops is that appealing to him.

Brilliant - thanks for clarification doyll, appreciated.

I think the D15s is fast becoming the heatsink of choice - with hardly any compromise...

Thanks, yes, considered this - even total removal of fan.
He will be lucky if front fan fit's over RAM with top of heatspreader removed. Also, he would only need to remove the top of headspreader for the RAM under fan .. if it will even fit.

Yeah, run with single fan or fans in pull / pull configeration.

Soldato
OP
He will be lucky if front fan fit's over RAM with top of heatspreader removed. Also, he would only need to remove the top of headspreader for the RAM under fan .. if it will even fit.
Are you saying the D15S is not viable either?

Apologies, if i've misunderstood...
Yeah, run with single fan or fans in pull / pull configeration.
Pull/pull would be the ideal - guessing there's not a lot in it compared to single fan?

EDIT: Or perhaps the D14 would be the easier solution? - as cooling stats are so marginal...

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you saying the D15S is not viable either?

Apologies, if i've misunderstood...

Pull/pull would be the ideal - guessing there's not a lot in it compared to single fan?

EDIT: Or perhaps the D14 would be the easier solution? - as cooling stats are so marginal...
Either D15S or D14 will work very well. D14 does not have PWM fans, but with D14 and D15 / D15S using same fans the performance is the same or D14 is maybe a little better. D14 is £69.95 vs D15S £69.95 is no difference, but D15 is £79.99 .. although there is a **B Grade** one for £67.99.

Something to keep in mind if you think you may use the D15 on future builds is it is extremely wide and is 75mm without fan center of CPU toward PCIe sockets .. 80mm with fan .. and may block top x16 PCIe socket.

Edit: you can get Phanteks PH-TC14PE for £59.99, and it's just as good a cooler.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=ph-tc14pe

Soldato
OP
Either D15S or D14 will work very well. D14 does not have PWM fans, but with D14 and D15 / D15S using same fans the performance is the same or D14 is maybe a little better. D14 is £69.95 vs D15S £69.95 is no difference, but D15 is £79.99 .. although there is a **B Grade** one for £67.99.

Something to keep in mind if you think you may use the D15 on future builds is it is extremely wide and is 75mm without fan center of CPU toward PCIe sockets .. 80mm with fan .. and may block top x16 PCIe socket.

Edit: you can get Phanteks PH-TC14PE for £59.99, and it's just as good a cooler.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=ph-tc14pe
Brilliant - appreciate the comprehensive reply.

Soldato
OP
Your choice really - but noticed you posted on the cooling thread so will defer to doyll.

But, personally, i don't think there's much in it - and the PWM is useful.

EDIT: I've posted in the cooling thread by mistake - so as mentioned - over to you doyll :D

Ah, i see - i had 2 alerts with same post in different threads...

Soldato
OP
You have the pull/pull option of the D15 - but the D15s seems the tidier solution with PWM.

But, it would be great to keep the top on that 400Q - so the extra fan of the D14 may prove useful for venting?

Soldato
OP
Again, personally, I would compare results of the d15 in the pull/pull configuration to that of the D15S.

I suspect with a 7700K running at stock there will be very little difference - and if this proves to be the case i would pick which ever you feel most comfortable with as they're all premium performance coolers.

Back
Top Bottom