Complete noob needs help

Associate
Hi

I need to build a new PC. I've never done it before but I like doing things myself. My old PC was too old to play fallout 4 back in 2015. I decided to get a ps4 instead of upgrading my i7 860 with GTS 240. So basically I have no reusable parts.

I need some advice whether the following will work:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,469.88 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I think I read somewhere that for the 78003d you need to at least have a £800 GPU otherwise its a waste. Is this true? In my mind I was hoping that I could get a decent chip and workable motherboard and then I can upgrade other things as time goes on? As long as The chip and motherboard will last 10 years that is? Is that even plausible?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Associate
CPU vs GPU priority is very dependent on workload, any idea what you plan to use it for particularly?

Also the RAM you have picked doesn't have EXPO settings detailed (AMD's version of XMP profiles).

Man of Honour
I think I read somewhere that for the 78003d you need to at least have a £800 GPU otherwise its a waste. Is this true? In my mind I was hoping that I could get a decent chip and workable motherboard and then I can upgrade other things as time goes on? As long as The chip and motherboard will last 10 years that is? Is that even plausible?
For what purpose should it last 10 years?

We need more context on what you're doing with the PC and what your expectations are, because otherwise it is very hard to give you any meaningful advice.

Will the 7800X3D last for 10 years playing the latest AAA games at 4K, with a 1-2 year old £800 graphics card? No, it will not.

Will it be able to play games in 10 years time? Sure..., but the equivalent CPU (i7-4770K) is starting to reach the end of playability in the latest AAA games and you're targeting 60 fps, rather than the 150+ that I'd expect from the 7800X3D right now.

In terms of: do they have the ability to last 10 years physically, who knows, that kind of thing is always a dice roll. Realistically, I'd expect at least 3-5 before you start to see any problems, but obviously some usage is harder than others and with frequent use you can start wearing out the USB ports, fan bearings and such.

Assuming all you're doing is gaming, I'd recommend that you:
- Swap the PCI-E 5.0 SSD for a 2TB PCI-E 4.0 SSD like the SN580.
- Swap the AIO for a phantom spirit or peerless assassin.
- Swap the RAM for EXPO @ 6000/C30-C36
- Upgrade the graphics card to a 7900 GRE.

Last edited:
Associate
Definitely don't buy the PCI-E gen 5 NVMe drive ... the increased performance over a gen 4 drive just isn't worth it. You could either get a 1TB gen 4 drive for half the price, or a 2 TB gen 4 for a similar price to the one in your basket ( I'd recommend a 2 TB ... modern games takes up a lot of space ).

Associate
Well, seeing as you're talking about Fallout 4 I'm guessing this is a gaming rig foremost, especially if you're looking at the 7800x3d

1 thing you forgot to mention is price, so put 2 similar looking builds together below

this is with a 4070super build...similar in line with the 7900 GRE(in raster gre beats it by a couple %, but looses out in raytracing and dlss bering better than fsr). the 4070s will be about 28% faster than the 6800, and also be more efficient
There a fast 2tb pcie4 ssd in there (read 7400, write 7000) which is reasonably priced, and you'll benefit far more the extra storage than the speed of the pcie5
Used the same tuf gaming board as it's decent for the price and will handle anything
the msi psu is good, 10yrs warranty and atx3.0 compliant, on offer at mo
Zotac card just a basic 2 fan 4070s. nothing fancy
I put the deepcool cooler on ther eas £35. it's more than up to the task for a 7800x3d. Peeless assassin Ocuk don't sell, but put something in for price...as a guide the deepcool ak400 i think was only 0.5degrees behing the assassin spirit, and this is a slighty more power cooler
lian li case is a good airflow case with plenty of adapabilty that can take a 4090 size gpu and a 360mm aio in roof(also arctic ones with thicker rads)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,567.91 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Associate
then for more money with same case as you want to keep for a good amount of time with least amount of upgrades
Upgraded psu to 1000W in case 4/5 years down line you want to put a way more powerful gpu in
asus board has pcie5 gpu slot also, so again, 5/6 years down the line if gpus outgrow pcie4, then that's covered
put a 4080super in...this is 38% faster than the 4070s, and has 16gb vram also, so is getting into realm of true 4k gaming
next step up would be a 4090, just add another £600 to the price
I put the arctic freezer3 in not because it's needed, but just higher end build and it comes with a 6year warranty so if you upgrade the cpu 3 years down the line to something more powerful, this will easily handle it, but otherwise just stick with an air cooler for less money

both setup use the delta 6000C30 ram. It's not expo though..if you want expo, then I'd suggest the corsair vengeance rgb 6000C36 expo which can be had for exactly the same price, but not from Ocuk, so you'll have to search...the 6000C30 is £129 I think

My basket at OcUK:[/b]

Total: £2,129.92 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Associate
save some more money and drop to a 7600 and a 7800xt, and also put a cheaper case in, which would do for above too, except it wont fit the ticker rad of the arctic aio
still faster than a 6800 though...for comparable that would be more like a 7700xt

at OcUK:[/b]

Total: £1,272.86 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Associate
OP
Oh wow, Thankyou all for replying.

I should have been more clear, it is going to be for gaming. I guess I'm hoping it will be able to play GTA 6 when it comes out. Maybe not in 4k as that's going to cost a lot. I always wanted to play Cyberpunk so I guess that is my benchmark. I will be using an LG Oled 65inch CX as my monitor. I suppose i need to aim for good quality 1080p and then upgrade the card (to 4k) in a couple of years, this is what i meant about having a chip and motherboard that would last a long time. (maybe 5 years not 10). But then again would the 7800x3d be any good in 3 years?

So in a nutshell. I wanted to buy components for PC then in 2/3 years (after saving up) just swap the GPU out for a decent 4k card and have a good PC still. But now i don't think this is a good idea. I will just use one of the bundles above I think, thanks to Craig D1.

Thank you to everyone.

Associate
I always wanted to play Cyberpunk so I guess that is my benchmark. I will be using an LG Oled 65inch CX as my monitor. I suppose i need to aim for good quality 1080p and then upgrade the card (to 4k) in a couple of years, this is what i meant about having a chip and motherboard that would last a long time. (maybe 5 years not 10). But then again would the 7800x3d be any good in 3 years?
5800x3d releveant now, 7800x3d will be relevant in 3yrs, so yes

Cyberpunk as benchmarck on a lg cX 4k oled...hmm....that's a fairly high bar there :cry:

Computex is 4th to 7th June, and AMD s/b making their annoucement about their 9000 series cpu's. I'd be tempted to wait to see that before making any purchase...just to see when they'll be released...below explains it well...each generation jump the lowest cpu beats the previous gen higher cpu...the x3d cpu's are slightly different but that can be very game dependent also...if a ryzen 9600X comes out and follows the same path, hopefully it'll be cheaper than a 7800x3d (though that's already reduced in price so a lot depends on amd pricing), and may be slightly cheaper option on cpu side
think the newer gpu releases are end of year, but mid/lower level will be furthewr down the line, so I wouldn't be waiting for the gpu's, you might be waiting a year

Associate

if you don't want to wait, and seeing as the games seem to be more single person rather than 1st person shooters where you want it to look good, I'd try max out budget on the gpu now, even at the cost of the cpu (got to remember the 7600 is half the price of the 7800x3d). Swapping out your cpu is a cheaper option that getting a better cpu and swapping out your gpu.

As a guide my con pays on a lg c2 oled using a b550 board/5800x and a 3080, and the below will beat that in all metrics...in ayear or so the 9000 series will prob all be out and after initial rush prob start getting discounted, and you could upgrade your cpu then

anyway, anoyther 4080super build but cheaper than above going with the 7800x3d...not so expensive case, 850w psu, loose the gen5 gpu slot on the strix mobo etc

erclockers.co.uk]OcUK[/url]:[/b]

Total: £1,752.86 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Man of Honour
I will be using an LG Oled 65inch CX as my monitor. I suppose i need to aim for good quality 1080p and then upgrade the card (to 4k) in a couple of years
65 inch at 1080p? I'm no expert on TVs, but I'd imagine that would look terrible?!

But then again would the 7800x3d be any good in 3 years?
Yeah no problem, 7800X3D should easily be a match for an upgrade in 3 years.

So in a nutshell. I wanted to buy components for PC then in 2/3 years (after saving up) just swap the GPU out for a decent 4k card and have a good PC still.
It depends on your expectations obviously and I can't speak for unreleased games, but the 6800 in your original spec is capable of playing at 4K, even with a relatively demanding game like Cyberpunk.

Would I rely on the 6800 to play at 4K into the near future? No, I wouldn't, but since they're available well under £400 they're not bad value for 4K in most current/older games over the next 1-3 years.

The 7900 GRE would be even better, while the 4080 Super recommended above is another decent step up and I'd expect to last a year or two longer @ 4K than the other options, especially if you want to play with ray tracing.

Back
Top Bottom