Computer Fair Rip OFF

Associate
Let me tell you a little true story about a computer fair nightmare.

30th December:

I arrived at the Bowlers computer centre with the intention of finding a Socket 478 MOB to replace my dead one.
Feeling full of Xmas cheer and with out care I decided to go down the new computer route.

It seemed that there were only 2 main players one of them was ************
There sytem that best suited me was called ‘****
From there spec sheet:
AMD 3200+
Asrock AM2 Nvidia Mainboard
512 DDR-2 RAM (667) 5300Mhz
250Gig SATA2
Nvidia Geforce 6300GS
16x DVD -+R/RW Dual Layer
16x DVD ROM
6.1 Digital Audio Sound
10/100 LAN
1.44 Floppy
LCD Panel Display Case(with 300W PSU)
6x USB
PS2 Mouse
2 Channel Speakers

£299

I negotiated that I only wanted MOB,AMD 3400+,1 GIG 667,7600GT,250 SATA2 & CASE all the other stuff was unnecessary.
The staff member more than happily priced the system up at £375.00. So I went along with it. I paid 120 Cash & 255 on my EGG VISA.
On returning home a plugged the system in and discovered firstly the case lights didn’t work nor did the LCD panel?. Strange me thinks …ok ill check the rest out. What! No 7600GT?.... no 667 memory! DDR2-533 instead of DDR2-667 and the SATA II drive was SATA capable but not a true SATA II drive!.

OK …. There’s been a mistake?. I returned to the fair 1 week later after trying for a week to get hold of the company by phone.(nightmare).
I handed over to the sales bloke my system and list of complaints to which I was fed a barrage of abuse and rude attitude. After which he reluctantly handed over the credit card terminal and before I punched in my PIN he tells me he’s charging me 2.5% restocking fee tatal £366. ‘’What ever’ I thought just give me my money back.’’
But wait! There was no receipt?... Don’t worry he says your monies in your account?.... MMn?.... I left and went home….2 nights later im checking my account. WHAT! He only debited it agin this time for a further £366 which was to be the refund amout.
I wont go on but to say its taken 1 month and 2 registered letters, EGG Credit Claw back team, 16 telephone calls , dozens by EGG , and a registered on going complaint with Trading Standards. I have finally got a full refund but at how much effort!
Beware of**************and Shoddy service from computer fair individuals.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to buy a fair amount of stuff at computer fairs. I never had any serious problems but I've also realised it's not really any cheaper than buying from somewhere like OcUK. If I go to one now I might buy the odd bit but I don't buy anything major.

Associate
OP
Psyk said:
I used to buy a fair amount of stuff at computer fairs. I never had any serious problems but I've also realised it's not really any cheaper than buying from somewhere like OcUK. If I go to one now I might buy the odd bit but I don't buy anything major.

Well i just bought my Geil 6400 from this site and it arrived faster than a drive home from Manchester - Preston :D

Outstanding service and im very happy with it. :)

Soldato
Computer fairs are not paricularly cheap. Most online stores are now at the same or below price level. I cannot reccomend anyone buying anything from a computer fair I'm afraid. They seem to attract the lowest of the low when it comes to businesses if bowlers is anything to go by in my experience. The only time I use them is when I want something on that day rather than wait for it to come by post. The entrance fee alone usually puts me off.

As for the abuse of the card terminal that it truly shocking!!! Hopefully the business will lose their credit card terminal for this abuse, that's appalling.

Soldato
mattpc said:
Computer fairs are not paricularly cheap. Most online stores are now at the same or below price level. I cannot reccomend anyone buying anything from a computer fair I'm afraid. They seem to attract the lowest of the low when it comes to businesses if bowlers is anything to go by in my experience. The only time I use them is when I want something on that day rather than wait for it to come by post. The entrance fee alone usually puts me off.
Aye that's basically the same as me. There are some decent sellers there but they certainly don't undercut online shops.

Soldato
emailiscrap said:
Agreed, they used to be great, but not for at least 10 years.

They are totally uneeded now really. 10 years ago the big boy sellers of components were only just getting started with their online shops and internet shopping was still not commonplace. These days it IS and the big boys are doing really well out of it which means they can shift larger volumes and offer better prices.

I've seen some shocking stuff for sale at the computer fair and what was the most rubbish thing when I went was the lack of decent second hand parts. The only second hand parts that seemed to be available was pre historic tat.. I'm not slating computer fairs for fun I'm just saying they have had their day and are seriously not good now.. Especially if bowlers is supposed to be one of the best in the country. :eek:

Soldato
Most of the traders at fairs are rip-off merchants or con-men. There is no need to goto these fairs anymore... at all.

They prey on the kind of people who dont research before a purchase and assume that things at a fair will be cheap. They also sell faulty gear and refuse to refund the next time, usually claiming it wasnt their item or that the reciept you have "isnt one of mine mate... sorry".

Soldato
a mate went to bowlers computer fair, he was interested in big TFT and a good printer, he asked the seller if he buy both with £30 discount. the seller agreed so he took them home

few days later he decided he doesnt want them anymore so he took them back a week after but the seller forgot about the £30 discount so he got £30 profit lol

Man of Honour
I've been going to fairs for a long time and in the past I had one bloke over the table and got evicted from Trentham Gardens. I suppose it was my fault for buying hardware from them. I'd love to name and shame them and I can't believe they're still in business.
I usually go for little bits like - £3 keyboard, £2 mouse, £7 power supply, blank disks, paper, printer cartridges, plastic sleeves, batteries etc and I never buy anything big. I'm lucky though because I have OCUK 400 yards away.
For me its a morning out talking to like minded geeks who I've spoken to for about 12 years.

Man of Honour
divaboy said:
they are still the cheapest for blank DVD's and CD's purely casue there is no postage costs ;)

For a tub of 100 disks the price difference between a fair and OCUK is about a £1.

I'm quite surprised how disk sales have gone down.
Five years ago if you didn't get to the fairs within the first hour all disks and boxes would be gone and there would be blokes with trolleys buying in their 1000's.
Last sunday for the first time ever I went to the fair one hour before closing and all the stalls were still full of disks. Just shows what broadband has done.
Mind you, good tip -
One hour before closing they start chucking stuff at you and knock loads off.

Permabanned
thats what i call bad luck, what did the trading standards say about it ? i would have personnaly just gone back up there a week later and picked up the bits off the tasble and said i have already paid for this (Twice) and i am taking it !!! :D

Back
Top Bottom